E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > The Unwritten rule...do you abide by it?

04-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #23
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
oh my god....when i first got my car, i found myself in a similar situation to the OP...where some chav in a corsa wanted to race me!!!...in bloody central london!!!....he was really on my backside!!!...

and when i came to a set of traffic lights, i saw the guy actually took the child from the back seat and put the little kid in the front seat!!!!....after doing this, he started really going for it!!!....stupid tw*t....so i let him overtake ....and i cud see him "looking" at my car in his rearview mirror....so i watched from far behind his sillyness.....

when we came to another set of traffic lights, he pulled down his window and said to me...."its only a 1.2 i've got under there!" .....i just said well done mate....couldn't even bother talkin to that piece of dog shit....

how can you race when you have a child on board!?....and he was in a bloody small corsa!!!! ....at least in a Bmw, the safety parameters are much better....
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #24
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
these two sexy blondes in a de-badged black 1 Series coupe repeatedly baited me

Hehehe..
      04-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #25
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep

I never race anyone or "push on" as you say, with young kids or family on board. I also get really pissed off if I notice someone has a child on board and is giving it some.

If I want to go quickly. I do it when I'm alone. Simple as.
      04-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #26
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve vRS View Post
Only racing when you don't have your kids in the car is a crazy statement as there are plenty of other cars on the public highway that will have kids on board.

Steve
Strongly disagree with this, sorry. If you're on your own in the car, you should be aware that there could well be children in other cars etc. But if you have a child in the car with you, then you *know* it.

Also, while the view that everyone else's children are just as precious and important as yours are is one we should all aspire to, anyone who claims this is their actual view of the matter is either a Saint or a liar.

F*ckin around in a car when you have a child with you is despicable behaviour.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #27
Steve vRS
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d ED

Quote:
Strongly disagree with this, sorry. If you're on your own in the car, you should be aware that there could well be children in other cars etc. But if you have a child in the car with you, then you *know* it.

Also, while the view that everyone else's children are just as precious and important as yours are is one we should all aspire to, anyone who claims this is their actual view of the matter is either a Saint or a liar.

F*ckin around in a car when you have a child with you is despicable behaviour.
I think we agree but f***ing around in cars can be dangerous to others as well as the driver and just because you are alone in a car doesn't make it OK to drive like a bell end.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #28
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giff View Post
Is he the guy who posted about trying to overtake a Barryed up E90 that kept accelerating whenever he tried to pass?

Its all a matter of perspective.. And why were you racing in a 40mph speed limit area?

For all you know a child could have been crossing the road with you barreling along watching that car in your rear view mirror.
The road in question is actually a former 60mph road. Why they've dropped the speed - I don't know (round abouts?). There's no sign of life around them parts - no road crossings etc and it's not near any housing...so I knew I was safe in that respect. But I will hold my hands up and say I did see 60 (kph) on the clock - that's when I eased off. No really silly speeds involved.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #29
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
Hrm.

If people want to go faster than me, I just let them by. If they seem like a like minded individual who may be up for some "follow the leader" then I let them by and follow from behind. Maybe swapping places if they slow and then choose to latch onto me.

No racing, just two drivers making progress together and only ever on NSL roads. Anywhere that there is a posted limit (i.e. 20/30/40/50/60) I will stick to it, much to the chagrin of some people.

Quite.

Not that my motor is a company car but seriously? Are you going to roll out that line every time someone else in a BMW or other "nice" car upsets you or gets your back up? What does it have to do with anything other than highlighting your ignorance?

My view on company cars? I think those with company motors are lucky bastards who get to drive around in new motors every couple of years and they're obviously good enough at what they do to warrant the company spending (loosing?) thousands of pounds a year on a car that will have mileage piled on it and will depreciate faster than a pair of your shitty under-crackers...with little to no cost to the driver (other than BIK and maybe a small monthly contribution)

Chip on your shoulder much?

You know what they say about pots and kettles...
I've had company cars - I didn't a) rag the shit out of them because I could and knew everything that went wrong on it, as a consequence of my actions, would all be picked up by the people who pay for it (it's called respect) and b) tell people it was MY car - because it isn't/wasn't and never will be.

Anyways, I'm not here to talk about what I say that upsets you. Get on with the topic or shovel off
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #30
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sums it up well.

I have never instigated a 'race' with anyone, but the Beemers do often attract wee boy racers in their souped up hatchbacks.

Only time I 'raced' a BMW was when these two sexy blondes in a de-badged black 1 Series coupe repeatedly baited me on the M56 one sunny day.......but that's another story.

Agree with the OP, racing with a kid onboard is phenomenally irresponsible.
did you get your leg over?

I have a 14 month old boy, who I adore - I find it nervous driving with him in the car and can honestly say, even on a motorway, i will stick to 60-65 ish.

I'm no fool - I saw the little kid and thought "f**** hell -what's he doing?"

I once saw a thread on another forum - where the guy was caught speeding (70 in a 40) by a SCamera van because his child had hit their head on the floor and he had to get to hospital. As a father, I sort of understand where he was coming from - but when I look at it from another angle - I wonder how much of a disaster it could have turned out if he had made a mistake in driving - on that journey.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #31
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Rule? what rule? and nothing to do with bm owners.

I think its easy to find someone to have fun with. There will always be risks, if the other guy crashes and dies, you can be prosecuted by police.

Anyone who speeds with children in a car, is a complete CU**.

Here's a question then: 2 lanes: 40/60 MPH: He's 'chasing' me: He loses control and dies: do I get prosecuted and under which act?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #32
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Quote:

Only time I 'raced' a BMW was when these two sexy blondes in a de-badged black 1 Series coupe repeatedly baited me on the M56 one sunny day.......but that's another story.
This doesn't happen in real life.

I bet they were pre-op trannies in drag.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #33
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
Here's a question then: 2 lanes: 40/60 MPH: He's 'chasing' me: He loses control and dies: do I get prosecuted and under which act?
If your both speeding and any witness' say you both you
can be prosecuted.

It's happened a few times. A well publicised one was a Porsche driver racing a Biker who crashed and died. The Porsche driver went to jail because they goaded each other into a race.
      04-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #34
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep

I think that anyone driving a performance car that says they've NEVER gone a bit quick on a public road is ever a liar or an idiot. Go pick up your 1 litre yaris and darken our door no further lol. There's no point in you having a BMW.
      04-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #35
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

I think a lot of people need a sense of perspective.

These threads always provoke strong arguments for obvious reasons.

But 'perception' of risk is quite subjective.

If you consider how many people around you on that motorway are drunk, stoned, exhausted, arguing with spouses, insane....
you would never get in your car.
And factor in how many of that list can be found in a 40t triaxle unit.

Scary ?
      04-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #36
Giff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve vRS View Post
Only racing when you don't have your kids in the car is a crazy statement as there are plenty of other cars on the public highway that will have kids on board.

Steve
I completely agree, you should never do anything on a public road that you wouldnt do with your child sat next to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #37
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318i M Sport E91

[QUOTE=toxicnerve;9465551]Hrm.

If people want to go faster than me, I just let them by. If they seem like a like minded individual who may be up for some "follow the leader" then I let them by and follow from behind. Maybe swapping places if they slow and then choose to latch onto me.

No racing, just two drivers making progress together and only ever on NSL roads. Anywhere that there is a posted limit (i.e. 20/30/40/50/60) I will stick to it, much to the chagrin of some people.

I agree with your point, On my many trip's back up to Glasgow i find it less of a bore when you play a little "cat and mouse" at sensible speed's
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #38
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
I think that anyone driving a performance car that says they've NEVER gone a bit quick on a public road is ever a liar or an idiot. Go pick up your 1 litre yaris and darken our door no further lol. There's no point in you having a BMW.
plus one ....

its like buying a ferrari and saying that speeding is dangerous!....

or going to the cinema and saying that the smell of popcorn is annoying!...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #39
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Or not having sex with Kate Moss because you are anti-drugs.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #40
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Best quote of this thread
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #41
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

Our roads are full of ego's, rage and circumstances. I guess we'll never really know what they were/are thinking when driving like a tit. Hey, I'm no perfect driver - like some people are selling themselves to be here.

I remember one incident where I ended up in the middle of a Subaru Impreza Convoy - (I'm guessing they were on the way back from a meet) - As I cruised passed them all, minding my own business - they all ganged up on me (lol) It was 1am on the M1 and I thoroughly enjoyed spanking them a few times. HOWEVER - none of us did anything which would have put other road users in any danger, i e slowing right down when other traffic approached and overtook in a safe manner. No undertaking or anything stupid like that. We all pulled up at the same service station and exchanged some compliments and we were all on our way home with a wave.

There's ways of doing so and there's ways of definitely not doing so.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #42
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
This doesn't happen in real life.

I bet they were pre-op trannies in drag.
Maybe not in your life. ;-)

These were no pre-ops, baby! Two well-dressed, well-heeled young ladies, in a very wealthy part of Cheshire, maybe early to mid twenties. One was very good looking, the other was even better, a classic barbie looker. Now, I'm a happily married man, and not so young or beautiful, so I have no delusions about it. I guess if I had been young and single I'd have indulged in a fantasy wherein they took me back to their country mansion and f*cked me in the swimming pool.

But all that happened on the day was a wee session of cat and mouse down the M56. They would come right up behind me in the fast lane, I would pull over, they would zoom past then I would come up behind them, they would pull into the middle lane, I would pass them, then pull into yteh middle, they would pass me etc. At one point, I looked at my speedometer and realised I was doing 140 mph, at which point I thought it was time to calm down a bit. Respect to those glamorous ladies, they didn't wimp out.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #43
TikoV
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d/X5 40d

Vaheed...wtf were you in to spank a bunch of scoobies?? Gees some of these cars are way past 400bhp..

I totally agree with megaginge...Buy a 1.0l if you want to stick to NSL as you won't get much past that lol.
      04-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #44
TikoV
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d/X5 40d

Quote:
Maybe not in your life. ;-)

These were no pre-ops, baby! Two well-dressed, well-heeled young ladies, in a very wealthy part of Cheshire, maybe early to mid twenties. One was very good looking, the other was even better, a classic barbie looker. Now, I'm a happily married man, and not so young or beautiful, so I have no delusions about it. I guess if I had been young and single I'd have indulged in a fantasy wherein they took me back to their country mansion and f*cked me in the swimming pool.

But all that happened on the day was a wee session of cat and mouse down the M56. They would come right up behind me in the fast lane, I would pull over, they would zoom past then I would come up behind them, they would pull into the middle lane, I would pass them, then pull into yteh middle, they would pass me etc. At one point, I looked at my speedometer and realised I was doing 140 mph, at which point I thought it was time to calm down a bit. Respect to those glamorous ladies, they didn't wimp out.

You could've been sandwiched right between them, what were you thinking??