Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Noob’s questions after switching to winter setup

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-11-2007, 12:35 AM   #1
g8h3VZ6jFvYc63p7q88s
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: :(

Noob’s questions after switching to winter setup

First of all, I am very happy with my Tirerack purchase. I got Dunlops Winter Sport M3 on 17” ASA JH3. Today, I finally got around to putting them on.

1.My one-year old car has rust in each wheel area. Is that normal (rust in the center)?

2.The nuts on the rear wheels were really hard to get off. When I was unscrewing the nuts, they seemed to be tightened much harder than I expected. I don’t recall applying as much force to put the nuts back with my torque wrench.

3.Today, I could not find my torque wrench and thus tightened the nuts pretty hard. Will this be a problem? Is it bad to overtighten? I hope to find the wrench in the next couple of weeks.

4.I have a faint ticking/scraping noise from right rear wheel area. It only happens are certain speeds. Yet, when I mounted the tires, the wheels span freely.
Any suggestions?

12-11-2007, 12:38 AM   #2
daheechang
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 m3

i believe the scraping sound is because your rotors are going bad... i think. haha i'm no expert at brakes either, but i had hte same problem w/ my integra back in the day, and it was due to the rotor going bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 01:23 AM   #3
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

the rust is normal

do NOT overtighten the lugbolts, you can warp the rotors if you were to do it too tight and/or unevenly.
      12-11-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim View Post
First of all, I am very happy with my Tirerack purchase. I got Dunlops Winter Sport M3 on 17” ASA JH3. Today, I finally got around to putting them on.

1.My one-year old car has rust in each wheel area. Is that normal (rust in the center)?
Well, unfortunately it's normal, even if rather unfavourable. Check out this ***No More Rusty hubs DIY***

Quote:
2.The nuts on the rear wheels were really hard to get off. When I was unscrewing the nuts, they seemed to be tightened much harder than I expected. I don’t recall applying as much force to put the nuts back with my torque wrench.
Too much force is not good. Use your torque wrench. Also - my own experience - last year I changed from my winter tires really late in the spring, unexpectedly high outside temperatures. I had a really hard time to loosen the bolts on them. Possibly because of the aluminium dilatability - bolts were tightened in winter (close to zero celsius) and loosened around 20. Maybe a point to pay attention, too.

Quote:
3.Today, I could not find my torque wrench and thus tightened the nuts pretty hard. Will this be a problem? Is it bad to overtighten? I hope to find the wrench in the next couple of weeks.
See my replies to points 1. and 2.

Appreciate 0