E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > I might move to the US. But where?

01-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #243
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
If you decide to come a few more hours west to Des Moines (from Chicago) I don't think you would be disappointed. IT really is a nice city that is growing quickly.
I really want to visit Des Moines but it's a tight fit into our schedule. We'll see how much we have to play with after we get to Chicago.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 11:58 AM   #244
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

One thing that is often a problem when first arriving, is building your credit. Anything you can do to start that process early will help you in the future.

I don't know how it is for non-Canadians but I was able to open a bank account without an SSN at first. I added it later. Then you'll want to try to get a credit card, If you already have an American Express, they have a really great program called Global Card Transfer where if you've been with them for a while, they will give you a card in the country you are moving to fairly easy. If you have a mailing address (mailbox rental or friends address) you can use, I recommend you trying to do as much as possible beforehand, even making sure you are able to transfer funds so that when you arrive it won't be a problem can come in handy. I had one Canadian bank tell me I couldn't wire money into my US bank account unless I walked into a branch in Canada which was a problem because I was already in Florida. I had to find a bank that allowed me to do wire transfers online or via telephone banking as I wasn't going to be able to fly back to Canada every-time I needed to transfer money.

Then the good thing with Amex is once I added my SSN to my card, they started reporting my credit history from when I first got the card, which was a few months before I moved. It took over 1 year for me to get approved for a credit card from a US Bank, so having that credit card (I had 1 more from a Canadian bank that gave me credit based on my Canadian credit history) was extremely handy for me.

Expect credit to be a problem opening a new utility account (Electricity, Water/Sewage, etc), post-paid cell phone, internet, tv account, etc. They will all want you to give deposits for them to hold. Hopefully if you are renting and your utilities are included this won't be a problem, but it can be an unexpected hassle if you aren't expecting it.

EDIT: In summary, don't under estimate how big a role credit plays in the USA. There was another guy that moved recently didn't have a good experience because he was used to not using credit and relied on cash/debit.

Last edited by tdott; 01-29-2018 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 12:34 PM   #245
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
One thing that is often a problem when first arriving, is building your credit. Anything you can do to start that process early will help you in the future.

I don't know how it is for non-Canadians but I was able to open a bank account without an SSN at first. I added it later. Then you'll want to try to get a credit card, If you already have an American Express, they have a really great program called Global Card Transfer where if you've been with them for a while, they will give you a card in the country you are moving to fairly easy. If you have a mailing address (mailbox rental or friends address) you can use, I recommend you trying to do as much as possible beforehand, even making sure you are able to transfer funds so that when you arrive it won't be a problem can come in handy. I had one Canadian bank tell me I couldn't wire money into my US bank account unless I walked into a branch in Canada which was a problem because I was already in Florida. I had to find a bank that allowed me to do wire transfers online or via telephone banking as I wasn't going to be able to fly back to Canada every-time I needed to transfer money.

Then the good thing with Amex is once I added my SSN to my card, they started reporting my credit history from when I first got the card, which was a few months before I moved. It took over 1 year for me to get approved for a credit card from a US Bank, so having that credit card (I had 1 more from a Canadian bank that gave me credit based on my Canadian credit history) was extremely handy for me.

Expect credit to be a problem opening a new utility account (Electricity, Water/Sewage, etc), post-paid cell phone, internet, tv account, etc. They will all want you to give deposits for them to hold. Hopefully if you are renting and your utilities are included this won't be a problem, but it can be an unexpected hassle if you aren't expecting it.

EDIT: In summary, don't under estimate how big a role credit plays in the USA. There was another guy that moved recently didn't have a good experience because he was used to not using credit and relied on cash/debit.
I've been informed about this before but it's always good to hear it again.
I'm a bit anxious about this, but prepared.
I do have an Amex card and also a friend who is letting me use her adress which is super helpful. I haven't received my SSN yet, but I am at least going to try to open a bank account on my trip now.

If that fails I hope to get along with my Amex and cash. And in a shared apartment so I don't have to open utility accounts and such until I can build my credit score up.

Thank you for taking the time to help me, appreciate it!

Last edited by Senilsson; 01-29-2018 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 12:35 PM   #246
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senilsson View Post
I really want to visit Des Moines but it's a tight fit into our schedule. We'll see how much we have to play with after we get to Chicago.
If you do end up making it and would like a tour guide let me know.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 12:47 PM   #247
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your enthusiasm makes it difficult for me to say no.
I'll keep you updated during my trip!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #248
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Quote:
Your enthusiasm makes it difficult for me to say no.
I'll keep you updated during my trip!
If it helps at all, there are some strong but unsubstantiated rumours that Hawkeye bears a strong resemblance to the cat in his avatar.

If you're looking for reasons to say no, that is.

If you aren't, then, well, ignore the above and bring lipstick.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 04:17 PM   #249
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
If it helps at all, there are some strong but unsubstantiated rumours that Hawkeye bears a strong resemblance to the cat in his avatar.

If you're looking for reasons to say no, that is.

If you aren't, then, well, ignore the above and bring lipstick.
So all of a sudden wearing eye black and smearing lipstick across my face is weird?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 04:00 AM   #250
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Hello everybody!

I'm back from the trip and it has been awesome! (Sorry I couldn't make it to Iowa)
There were two cities that I liked a lot. Two cities very different from each other, but great in their own way!
The first one being Greenville, SC - this place is truly awesome. So clean and tidy, nice people and superb downtown area for it's size. My only issue with the place is that it might be on the small side for a 25 year old, it's definitely more family oriented. Which is fine, but perhaps not for me right now.

The other place is Chicago.
I know that this city has it's issues and there's no need to discuss them but most places north of the loop is simply put amazing. This city literally has everything. And it's much nicer than I ever expected it to be, both in regard to the cleanliness of the streets to the people.

Needless to say that I will start my new life in Illinois! I have a one way plane ticket going to O'Hare in late May this year.
Appreciate 1
bimmette6453.50
      03-01-2018, 09:07 AM   #251
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Hello everybody!

I'm back from the trip and it has been awesome! (Sorry I couldn't make it to Iowa)
There were two cities that I liked a lot. Two cities very different from each other, but great in their own way!
The first one being Greenville, SC - this place is truly awesome. So clean and tidy, nice people and superb downtown area for it's size. My only issue with the place is that it might be on the small side for a 25 year old, it's definitely more family oriented. Which is fine, but perhaps not for me right now.

I know that this city has it's issues and there's no need to discuss them but most places north of the loop is simply put amazing. This city literally has everything. And it's much nicer than I ever expected it to be, both in regard to the cleanliness of the streets to the people.

Needless to say that I will start my new life in Illinois! I have a one way plane ticket going to O'Hare in late May this year.
Thanks for the update! Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #252
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hello everybody!

Good luck! Chicago is nice in the suburbs for sure. Especially if you don't have to worry about housing costs and taxes. The lake is fun in the summer as well in certain areas.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 02:17 PM   #253
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Hello everybody!

You're concerned with gun violence and drugs and chose Chicago??!?!
Hawkeye2069.50
      03-01-2018, 08:39 PM   #254
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Maybe it's for the guns and violence...
Appreciate 1
paliknight2191.50
      03-01-2018, 08:50 PM   #255
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Hello everybody!

One of my favorite songs...

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 01:37 AM   #256
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Thanks for the update! Good luck!
Thank you!

Quote:
Good luck! Chicago is nice in the suburbs for sure. Especially if you don't have to worry about housing costs and taxes. The lake is fun in the summer as well in certain areas.
Thanks! I'm going to rent a place and it doesn't seem so expensive compared to other cities in the midwest or the south. My only concern is to find a decent job, but I'll figure it out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
Maybe it's for the guns and violence...
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Northern Chicago is very safe for a city it's size.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/d...htmlstory.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
One of my favorite songs...

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #257
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep
Drives: slut whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
Go to Washington.
How is Bremerton, Washington? In terms of local economy, community, night life, things to do / see, weather, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #258
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

In Chicago homicides are down 22%, and shooting incidents have decreased by 28% through the first two months of 2018 compared with the same point last year, according to police department data released yesterday...

Good luck in Murica...you need to buy some American flag pants now.

You should be safe wearing those.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #259
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANGRKE70 View Post
In Chicago homicides are down 22%, and shooting incidents have decreased by 28% through the first two months of 2018 compared with the same point last year, according to police department data released yesterday...

Good luck in Murica...you need to buy some American flag pants now.

You should be safe wearing those.
I may or may not have that outfit... You would cringe at how my house is decorated... oh and I am getting married on the 4th of July... 'MURICA!
Appreciate 1
CANGRKE70813.50
      03-04-2018, 02:58 AM   #260
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

i highly recommend somewhere in California.. San Diego d be a great choice and i d stay away from LA..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 10:34 PM   #261
CarPoor
Discharged
Rep
Drives: G42 M240ix, JLU Rub, 10 S2 RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
i highly recommend somewhere in California.. San Diego d be a great choice and i d stay away from LA..
East LA’s still ok though right?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #262
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarPoor View Post
East LA’s still ok though right?
well for me any place close to LA is not that good but local guys call Valley that part is peaceful.. suburbs i believe.. i d strongly consider San Diego or double expensive San Francisco to live..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #263
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Chicago?

Cold as hell for 4-5 months a year, lots of snow. Crime, in some areas, is the highest in the country. Cost of living is not very low. People are OK, again depending on the area.

Good thing is, you are not tied down. Try it. If you like it stay. If not, move somewhere else.

Welcome to America!
      03-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #264
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

you be better of staying in Sweden.
USA and Europe are so much different its like night and day