E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > noob question...

02-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

noob question...

Im currently driving a 2oo8 coupe and considering options for my vehicle once the warranty has expired...

Im assuming you can chip the engine, but to what degree...what are the safest mods and what is someone looking to spend for them. Most of all, is the HP added even worthwhile messing around with the engine to begin with.

Thanks in advance,

J.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Kylekuu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi, 84 318i

tough question man,

it's all personal preference really. Everyone has different opinions on each product and then price gets thrown in. If you really worry about reliability, go for oem performance parts (but they are pricey and actualy gain is debatable). If you get a aftermarket intake for example, it'll suck in hot air which doesn't do much good. If you get a cold air intake, I know some will say cold air = hotter combustion which leads to something i forgot. Or most exhaust systems gets rid of too much back pressure and you lose low end power. These are just some examples.

I think you need to decide what you want and the price you wanna spend, then the pros/cons. But in a way the engine will be affected if you want any type of performance parts, just depends on how much your willing to risk/sacrifice
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
BMS makes a decent chip for the N/A engines, you're looking at maybe a 7 hp gain to the wheels. Price is somewhere around $250.

A quality intake and exhaust are the way to go for N/A engines, IMO. BMW Performance is great quality but will cost around $1700-$1800 for the pair. Dinan intake & exhaust are a little lower, around $1500 for the pair. Most exhausts I've seen are around a grand. Some intakes like Injen are around $200+ but don't have heat shields.

Again, it's all what you want and what you're willing to spend..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywire View Post
Im currently driving a 2oo8 coupe and considering options for my vehicle once the warranty has expired...

Im assuming you can chip the engine, but to what degree...what are the safest mods and what is someone looking to spend for them. Most of all, is the HP added even worthwhile messing around with the engine to begin with.

Thanks in advance,

J.
I'm in toronto too. I have the BMS chip, performance intake with scoops.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

You can go with the BMS Power Box which is a plug and play upgrade for the non-turbo cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
BMS makes a decent chip for the N/A engines, you're looking at maybe a 7 hp gain to the wheels. Price is somewhere around $250.

A quality intake and exhaust are the way to go for N/A engines, IMO. BMW Performance is great quality but will cost around $1700-$1800 for the pair. Dinan intake & exhaust are a little lower, around $1500 for the pair. Most exhausts I've seen are around a grand. Some intakes like Injen are around $200+ but don't have heat shields.

Again, it's all what you want and what you're willing to spend..
The price seems right for the BMS chip you mentioned, but do you really feel much of a difference? Im kinda lookin for the best bang for your buck, without sacrificing my engine...i dont want to do anything that will increase the risk for engine failure/problems.

what can i look to gain from the intake/exhausts?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
wareagle900
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

if you want best bang for your buck then do this.

DEFINITELY get the BMS Power box which will make the car feel fast! and when i say feel fast i mean it will feel like its a hell of a lot faster to the butt dyno but it wont be in actuality.

Second, buy the injen intake! This will make it sound faster! And when i say that i mean that the sound is so incredible you will drool all over the place.

The fact is this: You cant make the car and more powerful or faster. You just cant. add 4 hp here and 7 there but its not enough to make a big difference. Do what you want to for sure but don't expect to see massive gains or anything along those lines.

Most importantly just have fun modding your car!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #8
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

BMS Power box is hands down the best bang for the buck! If pure hp numbers are what you want for the least money ( intake scoops,Afe Filter replacement,Bms power box)

If you want some "Roar" and spend a little more money Switch the filter for an afe intake or injen.

Next step for more noise would be a muffler delete or exhaust system.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 01:35 AM   #9
topcat87
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylekuu View Post
tough question man,

it's all personal preference really. Everyone has different opinions on each product and then price gets thrown in. If you really worry about reliability, go for oem performance parts (but they are pricey and actualy gain is debatable). If you get a aftermarket intake for example, it'll suck in hot air which doesn't do much good. If you get a cold air intake, I know some will say cold air = hotter combustion which leads to something i forgot. Or most exhaust systems gets rid of too much back pressure and you lose low end power. These are just some examples.

I think you need to decide what you want and the price you wanna spend, then the pros/cons. But in a way the engine will be affected if you want any type of performance parts, just depends on how much your willing to risk/sacrifice
cold air=denser air=more o2 molecules in the same space
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

AFE intake, mforce design scoops, BMS powerbox. enough said. then get exhaust.
Appreciate 0