E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Basic Air Con Clean for under a tenner :)

10-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport

Basic Air Con Clean for under a tenner :)

Was finding my Air con was starting to smell so i thought i would have a go at cleaning the system myself for under a tenner. Got to say it nows smells great and there are no bad odors No skills required and this is something anyone can do!

Firstly, the two products i used were Normfest Viro - Air Conditioning System Cleaner 300ml & Normfest Viro One Shot 100ml. At todays prices that is £7.51 delivered, bargain lol

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/ca...7300&0&cc5_101

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/ca...0100&0&cc5_101

1. Open all the vents in the car and turn off the air circulation system so that they are not blowing.

2. Open the bonnet and remove the cabin filter cover. It's only held on by 6 screws.

3. Spray a healthy amount of the air con cleaner straight into the inlets now visible with the cabin filter removed.

4. Refit the cabin filter.

5. Spray a healthy amount of the air cleaner into all the interior vents including the inlet vent which is in the passenger side footwell under the glovebox (put paper on the footwell floor to absorb any cleaner).

6. I used the full can and evenly distributed it around all the vents.

7. Leave the cleaner for 15-20 minutes to work then take the car for a 5 minute drive to agitate the cleaner (keep the air con and blowers off).

8. Now set up your blowers, you want the air con off, set temp to lowest setting, blowers to the max output, and make sure recirculation is selected.

9. Place the one shot in the packaging and then set it up in the passenger footwell so that it will spray towards the inlet vents. Now press the trigger and set the one shot off with the engine running and the blowers set up as in step 8. Shut all the doors / windows and leave it running for 10 minutes.

10. Dispose of all the packaging and open the doors on the car for about 10 minutes to allow any cleaner to disperse. You air con should now smell nice and fresh
      10-16-2012, 03:14 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

If it's smelling, it might mean it's damp inside and going mouldy. You may need to run the car with AC off and heater on for a few days / good run to dry it all out every few weeks.

These air fresheners are good in the interim (i.e. to sell a stinky used car), but they're a bit like not having a shower and just putting more deodorant on to hide the BO....you 'll get sussed in the end

Last edited by doughboy; 10-16-2012 at 04:21 AM..
Appreciate 0