E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > MusicarNW Level 2 System

10-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

MusicarNW Level 2 System

I finally have a moment to get my review of the MusicarNW Level 2 system. So first I will start with my experience.

Ken spent about an hour consulting me on the best solution for my E92, and we ended up with the Level 2 system with the Level 1 subwoofer solution. The kit contains a set of Jehnert 3 ways for the front (tweeter, mid and underseat subs), Mobridge DA1000 to convert the Digital signal to my L7 Amp to an analog signal to feed my 6 Channel JL Amplifier, this amplifier powers my three way Jehnerts and the subwoofer. Ken uses OEM plugs to interface into the car (NO CUTTING NO SPLICING) and he also has a beautiful harness to plug the amplifier into the car.

The sub enclosure is of the highest quality I have seen in aftermarket Subwoofer enclosures. Mine is loaded with an Image Dynamics 12" woofer.

Also the JL amplifier is bolted to an amplifier rack that screws into existing holes that mounted my original L7 AMP.

This entire kit is very well thought out in terms of performance and integration. I was blown away.

I used City Car Radio in San Francisco for the install, and Rick completed everything in about 4-5 hours.

So I was a car stereo nut back in the 90's when cars were a lot easier to work on in terms of electronics. I installed most of my own stuff.

Nowadays with all the MOST networks and complete integration of stereos into actual functionality of the car, I stayed away from stereo upgrades.

I did my research on MusicarNW and after my conversation with Ken, I knew I was dealing with a pro.

The stock Logic 7 system was actually not bad as stock systems go, but as a two channel stereo guy (I own a Pioneer Spec system circa 1979 and listen to vinyl), I wanted something more pure for music. The DSP effects on the Logic 7 System was just not to my taste.

Once I had all the input gains set, crossovers set on the amp, I started auditioning some of my favorite CD's including The Cure (Acoustic Album), Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, and Bob Marley's Legend. And I was so happy to have a real stereo in my beloved BMW once again. The mid range support and low end bass drums in Money for Nothing were tight, controlled, and imaging feels a lot more precise then compared to the L7 System. Robert Smith's voice on the Cure's album just seemed to float in the car, rather than this muddled mess in the L7 system. I still need some time for the speaker to fully break in, but I am so happy with this purchase.

No, it's not cheap, but you get what you pay for, and Ken was always around for support, and responded to emails, even on weekends within minutes!

Also, as note: it takes some time for Ken to assemble the system and build the enclosures, so some patience is needed, don't be surprised if it takes 1-2 weeks for the kit to ship out, so keep that in mind when making this purchase.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

What did he give you for a sub ?

And I imagine its powered by two of the JL channels bridged? Does that seem
like enough power for the Sub?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna
And I imagine its powered by two of the JL channels bridged? Does that seem
like enough power for the Sub?
I got the 12" image dynamics and yes it is bridged to power it. It's plenty for Sound quality, but if you want huge huge, "look at me bass". Look elsewhere. This is a precise sub setup for sound quality.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Thanks for the kind words!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Also if you are in the San Francisco, Rick can perform the install in a day. Great guy with high attention to detail.

http://petersautoradio.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 02:51 AM   #6
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
Also if you are in the San Francisco, Rick can perform the install in a day. Great guy with high attention to detail.

http://petersautoradio.com/
How much does he charge per hour? How long did it take?

Sound Innovations say they charge $85/hr and Musicarnw said it's about an 8hr install
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
How much does he charge per hour? How long did it take?

Sound Innovations say they charge $85/hr and Musicarnw said it's about an 8hr install
The labor was about 400-500ish.

Ken at MusicarNW recommended Peters Car Audio. I didn't want to skimp on labor after investing so much in the stereo. I am sure you can shop around and find a place that will do it for half the price, but why risk the damage to your car etc over 1-200 dollars.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
The labor was about 400-500ish.

Ken at MusicarNW recommended Peters Car Audio. I didn't want to skimp on labor after investing so much in the stereo. I am sure you can shop around and find a place that will do it for half the price, but why risk the damage to your car etc over 1-200 dollars.
Labor is about the same but I'm looking at customer service overall. MusicarNW level 1 has been on my mind for the longest time.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Labor is about the same but I'm looking at customer service overall. MusicarNW level 1 has been on my mind for the longest time.
Nice, I was looking at the Level 1 system, but since the tweeters in our cars are essentially on axis (directly pointed at our ears in the door sail) I preferred the larger silk dome tweeter. In previous cars when I had an aluminum/titanium/ tweeter that was installed on-axis, it was a bit too harsh for my taste. If you play a lot of trance music where have bright highs is something you prefer, the Level 1 could be your best bet.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Nice, I was looking at the Level 1 system, but since the tweeters in our cars are essentially on axis (directly pointed at our ears in the door sail) I preferred the larger silk dome tweeter. In previous cars when I had an aluminum/titanium/ tweeter that was installed on-axis, it was a bit too harsh for my taste. If you play a lot of trance music where have bright highs is something you prefer, the Level 1 could be your best bet.
Cool thanks for the feedback, if there was ever a chance I'd like to see how the sound system works overall.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Cool thanks for the feedback, if there was ever a chance I'd like to see how the sound system works overall.
Yah sure, I live in the city, just hit me up when you plan on being in the area. The car is currently at FFTEC in Hayward getting some work done, but should be done tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Yah sure, I live in the city, just hit me up when you plan on being in the area. The car is currently at FFTEC in Hayward getting some work done, but should be done tomorrow.
Ahh 500hp club nice. I live a stones throw away from fftec.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ahh 500hp club nice. I live a stones throw away from fftec.
Maybe CrankHP....I just have the flexfuel kit, with Downpipes and intake. It should be about 440ish to the wheels...so maybe 480CHP but the TQ is amazing, probably close to 480WTQ.

Crazy Fast without going completely over the top.
Appreciate 0