E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > M-Sport/M-Tech Rear Bumper...OEM vs. Replica?

04-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
leungsta
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: R8 V10 / Cayenne GTS / Model 3

M-Sport/M-Tech Rear Bumper...OEM vs. Replica?

Wanted to know what your opinion would be between OEM vs. Replica M-Tech rear bumpers....I'm planning on buying one this week but I'm not quite sure if the extra ~$250 is worth it for OEM?

Anyone have any reps installed on their car? How's the fitment, how much did you pay and where?

If I knew for sure that the **********s, ECS, JGMods, etc. rear bumper replicas fitted fairly nicely, I'd definitely pull the trigger on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
hmm... My replicas are getting shipped Monday.
Fuck OEM, just a rip-off IMO.

Go for M-tech.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Ed328xiCoupe2011
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi Coupe Alpine White

If you want guarantee fitment go for OEM if its just $250 more. Not all Rep have good fitment even if they say it will, just depends if your the unlucky one and end up paying more for shipping back the product.

^ Go for M-tech
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

You pay for what you get. I've gotten a couple replica items and neither fits perfect. The gaps aren't too bad, but they do bug me. I don't plan on buying replica body parts anymore.
      04-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
leungsta
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjm127 View Post
hmm... My replicas are getting shipped Monday.
Fuck OEM, just a rip-off IMO.

Go for M-tech.
Where did you order if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for everyones input!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
hxs80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC2000 View Post
You pay for what you get. I've gotten a couple replica items and neither fits perfect. The gaps aren't too bad, but they do bug me. I don't plan on buying replica body parts anymore.
+1!

While I sort of agree that OEM can be over priced, you sort of get what you pay for. While there are some reputable aftermarket parts, sometimes it's the luck of the draw. I took the risk once and regretted my decision (80$ and lots of wasted time down the drain). Rather stay, boring/ non-aggressive , stock than settle for imperfections in bad after market parts quality.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by leungsta View Post

Got mine from **********s
JGMODS is good too
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
leungsta
Major
Canada
Rep

Excellent...I think I'll get it from jgmods since they offer high quality paint job as well.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
JDLM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

I like Modmy3.com
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
Kid Red
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i

What are the options for those of us with PDC? Few seem to carry PDC bumpers.
Sold: 2010 Sapphire Black E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

have your body shop drill holes for the PDC sensors
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Quote:

Jbspeed and **********s.
      04-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #13
leungsta
Major
Canada
Rep

So I finally pulled the trigger on the m-tech rear bumper!!

Ordered it from JGmods, but it's backordered for 2 weeks. I'll let you guys know how it goes..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #14
Fred_Boosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.00]
Quote:

Ordered it from JGmods, but it's backordered for 2 weeks. I'll let you guys know how it goes..
It should pretty good. Does it come with diffuser?

I was looking for a m tech front rep for E92, seems no vendor has it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
My replica rear fits like a glove, no fitment issues anywhere. I got mine from **********s
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #16
leungsta
Major
Canada
Rep

Yup comes with the diffuser and everything.

I know **********s is good, but they don't provide paint. I could have painted it locally but I'd prefer to receive it already painted.

Hope the bumper fits like a glove as well!! I'm excited, always admired e92s with mtech..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #17
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Yup comes with the diffuser and everything.

I know **********s is good, but they don't provide paint. I could have painted it locally but I'd prefer to receive it already painted.

Hope the bumper fits like a glove as well!! I'm excited, always admired e92s with mtech..
i'm sure you're in good hands with JGMODS too I do wonder if they source the same company for the M-tech reps
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #18
leungsta
Major
Canada
Rep

No clue! I hope they do...I'm excited yet worried at the same time for the fitment.

Did you install the bumper yourself?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #19
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

We do have the E92 M-tech style rear bumpers available. The fitment is spot on and we've never had any issues with them. The bumpers are PDC compatible the holes are indented on the backside of the bumper cover. All you need to do is to have your body shop drill them through. I do always recommend that exterior pieces get painted locally. The main reason for that is to ensure a 100% paint match as exterior paint does change from exposure to the sun and the environmental conditions. Here's a review from fellow forum member rooringhusky for you guys to check out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooringhusky View Post
Finally got around to getting my rear M-Tech bumper painted and installed so wanted to update and show some pics of the car! I bought the bumper from Alan************ sometime last year and never got a chance to get it painted (due to low funds...spending on performance mods instead )

Quick Rundown:

Goals: I wanted the style of the new M-Tech package along with the potential to expand to quad exhausts on my "older style" aka pre-LCI 2007 335i

Options: There were a few options to add quads to the stock OEM pre-LCI bumper (such as the Hamann style diffuser)..but since they all required to cut and do permanent damage to the OEM bumper I opted out of anything requiring cutting...Not only that personally I thought they were all relatively ugly styling/design..

Thats when I realized that it would look best and be the easiest to go quads if I took the route of a M-Tech style bumper..

So, I knew I wanted the M-Tech style bumper...Researching for this style bumper I figured out I could either get a OEM BMW M-Tech bumper for just under $700 unpainted...OR I could get a Replica M-Tech bumper which would be a mirror copy of materials and design but at a much cheaper price point at ~$400...For the OEM price of $700 + Paint I dont think I could afford that option so I figured the Replica would be a good route assuming the quality/fitment is top notch..

This is where I had another issue..I bought my car used and it had the option of rear bumper PDC sensors..The Replica M-Tech bumpers available from the vendors here do not come with a pre-drilled PDC option and therefore was another obstacle from getting the bumper..

Purchase: The purchase of the bumper was smooth...I PM'd Alan and asked him a few questions regarding the PDC sensors...He quickly replied and helped out telling me that any "decent" shop should be able to drill the holes properly and take care of the sensor issues..He also told me he could give me a pretty good price picked up...I took him up on the offer and met him up in person at **********s in La Habra..Picked the bumper up and drove it home..At this point I didnt get a chance to get it painted until just a couple weeks ago..

Paint: I got the bumper painted at Perfect Color in Anaheim...I went to this place based on recommendation from a few guys on the board here..Enrique has helped me before when I got my Replica M3 Style front painted...and once again took care of me It took a couple weeks for me to pick up the bumper but I finally got it and everything was top notch as always from Enrique@Perfect Color..

Install: The install was smooth...I had to remove the previous bumper via a Youtube video I saw on removal...Then for the install I had to move the sensors from the old bumper to the new one and mount new plastic PDC mounts...After remounting the sensors I put the bumper back on the car and it fit like a GLOVE...The replica from **********s is spot on fitment wise and I couldnt ask for anything better...Really looks OEM and anyone would not be able to tell the difference..(Note: This rear bumper replica fit MUCH better than the fitment on the M3 Style front I bought from ModMy3 which has slight fitment issues..)

Final Thoughts: Everything worked out as planned and it looks pretty good id say...Now that I have the M-Tech bumper it doesnt make THAT big of a difference looks-wise as I originally thought...I like it sometimes at some angles and I dont other times...Overall I dont feel this mod gave me as much satisfaction as I thought it would for the money spent but either way it looks great...It was a lot of money for the Bumper + Paint + Install so its not in everyones budget and honestly was out of my budget too..Lastly I havent really had the chance to ask many people how it looks so would love input from anyone and everyone..Thanks in advance..

*Note: Will be going to Quad SS Cyba Tips/Quad Diffuser and Muffler Delete soon so will make an update or a new thread soon..

Thanks again to Alan************ and Enrique@Perfect Color...

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #20
JGMODS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Modded

Garage List
2007 BMW 335I  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [6.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red View Post
We actually offer the E92 Mtech Style Rear Bumper w/ PDC option now if you select to have us pre-paint it.
Quote:

Thanks for the support Kevin. Fitment is guaranteed so you're in good hands. Also we use only BMW Color System (From Germany) for the paint so the it will look perfect.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #21
leungsta
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMODS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red View Post
We actually offer the E92 Mtech Style Rear Bumper w/ PDC option now if you select to have us pre-paint it.
Quote:

Thanks for the support Kevin. Fitment is guaranteed so you're in good hands. Also we use only BMW Color System (From Germany) for the paint so the it will look perfect.
Having answered every single one of my questions, I couldn't have asked for better service!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #22
fl0wmastr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i Coupe w M Sport Kit

Garage List
07 BMW 335i  [10.00]
why did **********s get banned from the forum?
do any vendors offer the rear bumper packaged with the rear diffuser that is like the 335is? i believe **********s offers the 335is style rear diffuser separately but not as a package deal.... can they or jgmods?
thanks
Appreciate 0