E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Speed Limiter Bill C319 Introduced in Parliament.

09-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #23
w2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
Wouldn't the cops be fighting against this - well at least Ontario police? Reduces the revenue they are making on the 50+ rule..well I'm assuming a lot of the 50+ busts are on highways.
Doubtful. If too many people obey the posted speed limits, the government will have little choice but to lower the speed limits. All in the name of public safety, of course. Because speed is a "factor" in (make up whatever number you like)% of accidents, and won't someone please think of the children.

Provincial governments depend on revenues from tobacco and liquor taxes, gambling and lotteries, traffic violations, and probably impaired driving convictions as well. Municipalities depend on parking fines. High levels of compliance with traffic laws would diminish revenues to the point where governments would have to choose from among: raising taxes, cutting spending, or making the law more difficult to comply with in order to encourage more revenue-generating lawbreaking. Since the latter can be sold as "protecting you from all of the evil, crazy people out there" while the former two pretty much always come across as "screwing you over" the chance of a government NOT picking door number 3 is pretty slim.

Pretty much everybody knows that a 100 km/h speed limit for major highways was not chosen because it represents an optimal level of safety. Given peoples' actual driving behaviours, I predict that a speed limit of 120 km/h would actually reduce accidents by encouraging slower motorists to keep up with the flow of traffic. (On the Deerfoot trail in Alberta, where the speed limit is 110 km/h, actual driving speed seems to average about as fast, or a little slower, than the 401 in Ontario; the 401 is better designed to handle high speeds despite its lower posted limit.) Everyone knows, or ought to know, that the safest speed is 0 km/h and, all other things being equal, danger rises geometrically with speed. The point at which a speed becomes "too dangerous" is a judgment call, but there are no sound reasons for making it 100 km/h, especially since that particular limit was chosen at a time when cars and roads were inherently less safe than they are today. (Also consider that the whole point of roads is to get from A to B quickly and efficiently; the fact that we have highways at all implies that we are willing to accept a certain level of risk in exchange for the ability to rapidly move from place to place.)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #24
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

You know, I think Picus is right, the bill died on the floor when Parliament was adjourned for the summer.

From my memory of my Poli sci class(es) in university, all bills not passed as law die when Parliament adjourns and need to be reintroduced again.

So we'll have to see if it gets reintroduced, but in this session (the fall session) I don't think the bill is on anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 08:06 PM   #25
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista View Post
You know, I think Picus is right, the bill died on the floor when Parliament was adjourned for the summer.

From my memory of my Poli sci class(es) in university, all bills not passed as law die when Parliament adjourns and need to be reintroduced again.

So we'll have to see if it gets reintroduced, but in this session (the fall session) I don't think the bill is on anymore.
This bill is active and had 1st reading.It was reintroduced in Febuary.People need to act before it slides through and becomes law.I received a piece of mail yesterday from our MP proclaming what a good idea this bill C319 is.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #26
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

What have the car companies said???
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #27
Desi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista View Post

The bill is still active, it is the 40th Parliament still however it is just the second session. I am going to put my polisci degree and experience from working on the hill to use, hang tight guys I'm doing some research and will have something shortly.
      09-18-2009, 12:58 AM   #28
Desi
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, want to get this bill axed? Here's how we're going to do it. I've got a degree in political science, worked on the hill briefly, still work in politics and know the ins-and-outs of the Liberal Party. Here is the best way to get attention.

First things first, forget email, its useless. Letters are key. Not only will a letter get noticed when it shows up at a parliamentary office, MPs (staff) read them and respond to them. MPs are also (for the most part) given a briefing on what letters came in. Letters get read within 24-48 hours of arrival, have a response written up, the MP briefed and then are archived. Emails get looked at quickly and are often responded to, however they are ranked lower on the totem poll than a letter and often do get lost in the hustle and bustle of a parliamentary office. Plus mailing your MP is not hard. There is a way to get your letter noticed, and a way to get it laughed at. I'm going to try and push all the right buttons here.

Some basic facts here: Bill C-319 is a Private Members Bill sponsored by the Hon. Jim Karygiannis, Liberal MP from the riding of Scarborough—Agincourt. It is a private members bill and will most likely not go anywhere, but what we want to ensure is that no party picks it up as a pet issue. Ever wonder how interest groups are able to get absurd ideas on the agenda? They have small armies of crazies writing letters and somebody along the line thinks that its a good idea. What we want to ensure is that if this bill is getting any support (it probably is, people have no life and write their MP about ANYTHING) that it is noted that opposition to the bill exists. Also, I can guarantee that no template letter for this exists and staffers in every office that receive this are going to have to make a whole lot of calls, and do a bunch of research to come up with a position and have it vetted.

Draft letters will do, MPs don't communicate with each other with regards to the letters they receive specifically enough for it to matter and about 50-60% of the letters that come in are based off some template anyways. Templates are to follow.

10-15 people firing off each of these letters should get the job done, lets get a move on people! Lets be the first automotive forum to actively lobby government!
---

Send this letter to your MP (If its not Jim Karygiannis, if he is your MP skip this letter), no postage required, the address in the header is fine just put your MPs name and your riding in the appropriate spots.
Quote:
[Your MPs Name]
[Your Riding]
House of Commons, Parliament Hill
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0A6

[Your Name]
Resident of [Riding]
[Address]

Dear [Your MP]

I am writing today to voice my opposition towards Bill C-319, "An Act to amend the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (speed limiters)".

I recognize that this Bill is a private members bill sponsored by the Honourable Jim Karygiannis of Scarborough—Agincourt and thus is not pressing parliamentary business, however I must ensure that my opposition to this bill is noted. I have also written Michael Ignatieff's office as well as that of Mr. Karygiannis.

My opposition to this Bill does not center around its intended goal of creating safer public roads, in fact that is a commendable cause, my concern is based on the fact that this bill seeks to achieve this objective through heavy-handed means. The most worrying provision in this bill is the federal mandating of speed limiters at 150km/h on all vehicles sold in Canada. As a responsible automotive enthusiast this worries me. As it stands there are numerous safe, private tracks for enthusiasts to take advantage of where speeds in excess of 150km/h can be safely and legally achieved. Should this bill become law it will be illegal for us to use our otherwise entirely safe and entirely street legal vehicles in a responsible manner on public roads, effectively shutting out those who cannot afford multiple vehicles from this enjoyable and wholesome hobby. Such a law will add an unnecessary hurdle to those who wish to partake in motorsports in a responsible way, and infact encourage dangerous and illegal street racing on public roadways as a legal alternative will be out of reach.

Automotive motorsports have received negative press in the last few years, as people flagrantly disobey the law and partake in this activity on public roadways. In fact automotive motorsports are safe, enjoyable and lead to innovation in the automotive sector. The solution is to encourage the safe and legal practice of conducting such activities on legal and safe private race tracks. Adding a massive hurdle in front of drivers who wish to do the responsible thing is not an effective way to deal with this issue.

I would be interested to hear your opinions on this matter.

Sincerely,

[Sign in pen]
[Your Name]
[Date]

Send this letter to Jim Karygiannis. It also does not need postage.
Quote:
Hon. Jim Karygiannis
Scarborough—Agincourt
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0A6

[Your Name]
Resident of [Riding]
[Address]

Dear Mr. Karygiannis,

I am writing today to voice my opposition towards your Private Members Bill, Bill C-319, "An Act to amend the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (speed limiters)".

I recognize that I am not one of your constituents, however I must ensure that my opposition to this bill is noted. I have also written my member of parliament's office as well as that of Michael Ignatieff.

My opposition to this Bill does not center around its intended goal of creating safer public roads, in fact that is a commendable cause, my concern is based on the fact that this bill seeks to achieve this objective through heavy-handed means. The most worrying provision in this bill is the federal mandating of speed limiters at 150km/h on all vehicles sold in Canada. As a responsible automotive enthusiast this worries me. As it stands there are numerous safe, private tracks for enthusiasts to take advantage of where speeds in excess of 150km/h can be safely and legally achieved. Should this bill become law it will be illegal for us to use our otherwise entirely safe and entirely street legal vehicles in a responsible manner on public roads, effectively shutting out those who cannot afford multiple vehicles from this enjoyable and wholesome hobby. Such a law will add an unnecessary hurdle to those who wish to partake in motorsports in a responsible way, and infact encourage dangerous and illegal street racing on public roadways as a legal alternative will be out of reach.

Automotive motorsports have received negative press in the last few years, as people flagrantly disobey the law and partake in this activity on public roadways. In fact automotive motorsports are safe, enjoyable and lead to innovation in the automotive sector. The solution is to encourage the safe and legal practice of conducting such activities on legal and safe private race tracks. Adding a massive hurdle in front of drivers who wish to do the responsible thing is not an effective way to deal with this issue.

Sincerely,

[Sign in pen]
[Your Name]
[Date]
Send this letter to Michael Ignatieff's office. Once again, postage not required.
Quote:
Michael Ignatieff
Office of The Leader of The Opposition
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0A6

[Your Name]
Resident of [Riding]
[Address]

Dear Mr. Ignatieff,

I am writing today to voice my opposition towards your Private Members Bill, Bill C-319, "An Act to amend the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (speed limiters)".

I recognize that this Bill is a private members bill sponsored by the Honourable Jim Karygiannis of Scarborough—Agincourt and thus is not pressing parliamentary business, however I must ensure that my opposition to this bill is noted. I have also written my MP's office as well as that of Mr. Karygiannis.

Sincerely,

[Sign in pen]
[Your Name]
[Date]
      09-18-2009, 01:48 AM   #29
JHFW89225
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
im in richmond, vancouver. To whom do I send this letter?
2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 07:06 AM   #30
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWong1989 View Post
im in richmond, vancouver. To whom do I send this letter?
Find your MP on this list.

http://webinfo.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfP...ent&Language=E
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 07:16 AM   #31
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
WOW...no postage required? im sooooo cheap..oh i mean im soo IN!

it almost feels like uni again with all this copy and paste
      09-18-2009, 07:30 AM   #32
shagkie
Captain
Rep
Drives: a....V8

This is good. There's no excuse for people not to do it since you have a template and NO POSTAGE REQUIRED! Come on guys and gals, lets have a party!
The content of the letters to each individual is the same right? Just the address is different? Can we like add a line that say "you're such and ass and you're not getting my freakin vote next time"?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #33
Desi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagkie View Post
This is good. There's no excuse for people not to do it since you have a template and NO POSTAGE REQUIRED! Come on guys and gals, lets have a party!
The content of the letters to each individual is the same right? Just the address is different? Can we like add a line that say "you're such and ass and you're not getting my freakin vote next time"?
Very similar, just grammar and shit that's different and minor variances. For example the one to Iggy says that its a Bill that one of his MPs has introduced whereas the one to your MP says that one of their colleagues in Parliament has introduced it.

I'd probably leave out that line about votes If you want to customize them, feel free, but leave out blatant partisanship and attacks. You are a "concerned citizen"
      09-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #34
Desi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgazer View Post
WOW...no postage required? im sooooo cheap..oh i mean im soo IN!

it almost feels like uni again with all this copy and paste
Haha, the problem with postage for me is that I never have any damn stamps and I'm too lazy to go to the post office, not that I'm too cheap to shell out $0.53 or whatever it is.
      09-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #35
SharpC
The truth is more important than the facts.
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW e92 328

What a load of crap!! Let's give the topic some exposure on this and other forums. Tell your families, friends and other car enthusiasts to take action.

Bump as needed
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #36
DinoMite
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 - 335is Coupe

I will send the letters for sure. I have enough of government telling me what i can and can not do...
      09-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #37
Astroboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout335i View Post
web link not working...
Just go to the home page and type in your postal code.

http://www.parl.gc.ca

Everyone should send the letter template that was posted!!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #38
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
ive sent out 3 copies of letters already..so 9 letters in total..wonder if they find it odd that all these letters are identical except for the name
      09-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #39
Astroboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgazer View Post
ive sent out 3 copies of letters already..so 9 letters in total..wonder if they find it odd that all these letters are identical except for the name
Good point But hopefully they see the fact that many people are taking the time to send a letter and therefore must really care about the issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #40
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
If this Bill gets passed next year when I buy the 335xi I might just settle for 328xi
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #41
Saturn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

All 3 letters written and sealed, will send tonight.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #42
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT + F25 35i AT

Heck, resale value of non-limited 335s will skyrocket!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 06:14 PM   #43
lcs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i LCI

Im sorry to ask this stupid question but what do I write for Resident of riding and riding for?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #44
Bimmer Al
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi Coupe MSport, 6MT

This is crazy. Perhaps they can also suggets how often I can eat a hamburger, or drink a glass of wine, or pass wind.....of yeah they won't because LCBO sales raise tax dollars for those idiots in parliament who have wasted my hard earned dollars on god knows what while I travel horrific roads, receive shody healthcare, live in fear of having a quarry being approved in an area approved for protected wet land and have to limit gabage bag pick up while I pay 6 figures in income tax and over $6k a year in property taxes.

How much more can we take? I Europe there would be an uprising. In Canada we just shrug.
Appreciate 0