E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > INPA Battery / Ignition dots are off

01-24-2022, 08:55 AM   #1
8bitHopes
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320D 2006

INPA Battery / Ignition dots are off

Hi everyone, so my INPA is having trouble filling the two dots black.

Some history - I installed INPA (sent to me by a very trustworthy person). I followed the steps dot by dot and everything worked. Got some codes read, deleted them, got some coding done and right when I was about to code one more module ( I had it loaded in NCS) my battery died. Little did I know at that point that coding consumed that much battery. Anyway - nothing happened apart from my battery dying. Got it recharged with an external power supply and everything is good.

In the meanwhile I installed ISTA D 4.22.13 and got it working too - at least without the VIN remote reading - no clue why that didn't manage to work.

Today I wanted to check something with ISTA and hooked the cable into the car, plugged the USB in my laptop and started INPA so I can make sure everything is okay. Well - it wasn't. Neither battery nor ignition are filled. I quickly checked without having the car hooked and it seems that INPA is not recognizing my K+DCAN cable. I started troubleshooting and doing everything I can in my power to get it working and recognized.Deleted absolutely everything I had and did a clean installation of INPA - nothing. I don't get any errors or anything either.

So .. that's where this post leads to - still not being able to get that damn cable recognized in INPA. I have it in Devices in PC Settings - all settings seem fine (COM1, Latency 1); both .ini files seem to be set-up perfectly fine; all programs installed - Microsoft Visuals, Java etc; tried running INPA as admin, in compatability for Win 7 - NOTHING, still doesn't recognize the damn cable. When I installed it for the very first time it didn't use to be like that - when I plug in the K+DCAN in the laptop even without it being connected to the car the Battery dot would fill.

Can anyone give me any advice what to do, I tried googling the sh** out of this and nothing..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 05:40 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If you are coding one module at a time and you have a battery
with decent charge it shouldn't be problem as far as battery depletion
goes. But you should monitor the voltage . Most codings are fairly
quick .

If ista isn't reading the car it isn't working.

Since ista shares some of the same folders with Inpa (Standard Tools)
there may be a chance your ista-D install wrote over some of the interface
files.

You might try reinstalling Inpa.

When you initially setup Ista you have to select the interface in most installs.

ista problems
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661945
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581663

Last edited by ctuna; 01-24-2022 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 10:57 PM   #3
8bitHopes
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320D 2006

I might have solved the cause of my pain and suffering.. Hardware on top of the OBD.ini file was instead set to USB. I noticed that ALL other ports below had OBD next to them so I tried doing the same and it worked. Not sure if this actually changes anything function-wise but I'll test tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendation anyway
Appreciate 0