E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Chris Bangle's influence on BMW design

01-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #23
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

To me, I like almost all the new designs more than the 3-series. I like the E90 from every angle from the front, because of the moustache on the upper grill. The E92 and E93 can, imo, too easily be mistaken for Hondas, something several people have mentioned to me. The trend seems to be "Whoa, the new Accord Coupe is nice. What, that's a BMW?"
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 02:06 PM   #24
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
To me, I like almost all the new designs more than the 3-series. I like the E90 from every angle from the front, because of the moustache on the upper grill. The E92 and E93 can, imo, too easily be mistaken for Hondas, something several people have mentioned to me. The trend seems to be "Whoa, the new Accord Coupe is nice. What, that's a BMW?"
...seriously? I guess they're the same people that would confuse the Altima coupe with the G37 (for good reason), as well as with the Accord coupe, the Pontiac G6, and possibly a million other coupes.

I think the e92 looks very BMW. Everyone loves it when they see it. The girls call it the baby bimmer lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #25
ik999
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f32 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
The thing is, nearly each generation of successive models in the BMW lineup is great looking in its own way...for the most part (obvious exceptions can be pointed out).

I'll focus my opinion mainly on the generations of the 3 series:

[Gonna skip the e21].

In my eyes, nothing can really match the e30 m3 evo II, what with its boxed out arches, its angry looking blacked out front, and its overall squareness. It's simply a classic design. The rest of the e30 lineup is also attractive in their own simplistic ways. I personally think that the body needs a fat spoiler, but nevertheless, great design. The shark-styled pointy nose is also a cool design element.

The e36 generation is where we could see the effects of weight and safety affecting design. I think this is the ugliest 3 series, especially the stumpy coupe. The front end was a complete mess, and the backend is bland.

The e46 generation holds a place in my heart simply because it was the epitome of BMW's three box design. The M3 CSL was as far as BMW could take that design, and so times had to change. Introduce Bangle.

Bangle is a man worthy of great praise in my eyes. I find his convex/concave surface designs interesting and revolutionary when cars were becoming bland boxes. His influence is undeniable in cars, and what were once outrageous creations back in 2002 have become much more acceptable in modern times. His only seriously flawed creations in my opinion are the pre-facelift 7 series, and the X3 (pre and post-facelift...ghastly).The thing is, he doesn't so much as design the cars as oversee and manage the design process. He applies his philosophies to the designs.

As much as BMW traditionalists will argue, there's no denying that Bangle is a supremely influential character both for BMW's sales success and on the rest of the automotive world.
Didn't Mr. Bangle oversee the design of the e46 and e39?

As for the actual design, I think they were done by a Japanese man (also did the e60?)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #26
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagjohnsen View Post
7 series looks bad compared to A8 and S-class
6 series does the job but rear end not that nice.
5 series is good looking good, especially with M.styling.
3 series E90 is a disaster because of the rear end especially, E91 not quite as bad but not very good design either, both can be OK with nice wheels and M-styling. Audi and Mercedes is far better designed with A4 and the C-class.
E92 is very good looking, both with and without M-styling, but Audi A5 is a seriously good looking rival.
1 series is cool compared to the competition.
X5 is nice.
X3 is bad.

In general the Bangles did a lousy job on the 7 series and the E90/E91/X3.

The 1,5,6,X5 and E92 are winners in their segments.

Its really not forgivable to miss the way they did with E90/E91, those models are far to important for BMW, but since those machines are the best drivingmachines in their class by far they sell well anyway.
It is all subjective.
I'd take e90 rear over e92 any time. E92 rear is just...nice but weak...
I'd take e92 front over e90 any time...
But I must say e46 M3 -- the best looking Bimmer ever IMO...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #27
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
...seriously? I guess they're the same people that would confuse the Altima coupe with the G37 (for good reason), as well as with the Accord coupe, the Pontiac G6, and possibly a million other coupes.

I think the e92 looks very BMW. Everyone loves it when they see it. The girls call it the baby bimmer lol.
As car nuts, I don't think we realize how people that aren't car nuts see cars. My sisters had a devil of a time telling the E36/E46/E38/E39/E34 apart - to us, that's incredible. But objectively, they're a very similar 3-box car designs - the clean lines of the design also means there aren't many distinguishing features.

One of my sisters told me she loves the new 5-series a while back, and I was shocked to discover that she actually meant the 5-series; she could tell it apart from the 3-series and 7-series.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #28
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik999 View Post
Didn't Mr. Bangle oversee the design of the e46 and e39?

As for the actual design, I think they were done by a Japanese man (also did the e60?)
Yes that's correct. Forgot about that. Thx
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #29
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I would looooove to be an automotive designer. You have no idea how often I study car designs...like 24/7. Sketch a lot of concepts too. I think it helps to draw vehicles in order to remember their key design elements.

If the field wasn't of high risk for failure, I'd probably be studying to be a car designer.
Appreciate 0