E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Primer peeling from M3 Style bumper.

06-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
MasterWang
Captain
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Primer peeling from M3 Style bumper.

I received an M3 style bumper from a vendor on this forum (will not name until everything is resolved).

It hasn't been even half a year, but I noticed some paint chips and then a pretty big chip/crack/peel today. I brought the car to the BMW dealership where I had it professionally painted and installed and realized that the PRIMER was peeling from the plastic bumper. I bought the bumper primed, so the shop is saying it is the vendor's fault.

I'm pretty pissed that there are more black spots (plastic under primer) is showing up more and more everyday on my alphine white bumper. Who is responsible in this situation? It is one of the most well known vendors here and I'm very disappointed that this is happening. I've had an aftermarket M3 style bumper from a different vendor before and nothing like this ever happened for over a year.

-Vendor is saying primer is peeling due to poor paint job and asked if the shop sanded it properly before painting. If that is the case, shouldn't the paint be peeling from the primer? I can't see how a poor paint job can cause the primer to peel from the bumper, when the bumper came primed from the vendor.

Last edited by MasterWang; 06-28-2013 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

No one will accept responsibility for this, as they both have grounds for finger pointing

I personally lay the blame on the body shop because they should know better than to trust pre-primed parts that aren't OEM. They should have sanded and reprimed it themselves.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
No one will accept responsibility for this, as they both have grounds for finger pointing

I personally lay the blame on the body shop because they should know better than to trust pre-primed parts that aren't OEM. They should have sanded and reprimed it themselves.
this and this.

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
MasterWang
Captain
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Thanks for the reply. So that is pretty much saying you can't fully trust these pre-primed bumpers from the vendors..

What I should have done in my situation was have the shop sand down, reprime, then paint.. that defeats the whole purpose of buying a primed and ready to paint bumper :/
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterWang View Post
Thanks for the reply. So that is pretty much saying you can't fully trust these pre-primed bumpers from the vendors..

What I should have done in my situation was have the shop sand down, reprime, then paint.. that defeats the whole purpose of buying a primed and ready to paint bumper :/
did they offer you a discount because it was already primed?

if not, then you may have grounds to complain
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
The primer on the pre-primed bumpers sucks, most of the good shops I have been to only warranty the paint if they use their own primer.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
balla704
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335I  [0.00]
sounds like a poorly prep bumper from the paint shop, pre primed bumpers still needs a very sand job before painting