E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DCT seven speed

10-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
badwolf340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

DCT seven speed

Hi all,need a bit of help here.Thinking of changing from E90 M3 to a E92 M3 E92 Edition.The Dealership that I use has a Yellow Edition due in,thing is it has option 2MK ,DCT seven speed box.Could you please comment on this option ,good /bad,waste of money or the best thing ever.Thank's .
      10-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

if it was me I would go for it 100%
      10-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
badwolf340
Private First Class
Rep

thank's,take it you like it .
      10-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

yeh well nice car ,very tempting but gone of M's a bit at the moment after whats happened to me Today.
      10-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Yellow edition?
      10-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
badwolf340
Private First Class
Rep

Mikey ,saw your post ...what happened ,not nice ,hope it all turn's out well.
DXB ,yip a yellow edition.
      10-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
I have the 7speed DCT box in my car and it was by far the best option out of all the ones I chose!!!!

I had driven the 6MT box as soon as the M3's were released and I was impressed by it. Many have complained about it being notchy, but I don't suppose I drove it for long enough to discover what it is like to 'live with' long term (ie hot and cold starts, in heavy traffic, etc..). To be honest the dynamics of just driving the 'New M3' was enough to plant a huge smile across my face

As soon as the four door came out I knew I wanted one (with a 10yr old and a 6 month old it makes a lot of sense - the 10yr old was scuffing the sills of my 2 door E93 to bits and I didn't intend doing my back in bolting in the baby seat )

I ordered the DCT box without driving it which did scare me a bit. All the demo cars were 6MT and every dealer that got a DCT car in sold it within days so my dealer was not able to borrow one for me. I had driven the SMG derived M5 and whilst impressed did have a few concerns about low speed driveability.

The DCT box is 10 times better than the old SMG box. It can be used in either full auto (D) mode or S (sequential) mode using either paddles behind the wheel or up/down on the gear lever. Each mode has different shift levels that can be altered using a toggle switch. D1 is the 'tamest' position where the car will pull off in second gear, great for in traffic and I used it quite a lot when I first had the car but now can't remember the last time I enabled it. D5 is the most severe 'auto' gearchange you can get. There are then S1-S5 setttings and S6 when the M button is depressed. The M button can be programmed to select a particular gearshift and suspension setting (If you have EDC fitted) and is controlled by a button on the steering wheel.

The DCT box is perfectly matches to the M in my opinion. In traffic it can be a lazy auto. It defaults to D2 when started, which means smooth pull offs and relatively early gear changes. As soon as the paddles are used it reverts to 'S' mode and must be manually knocked back to 'D' if auto mode is required again. I have my S set to 5, so it revs high and gives very fast gearchanges. The throttle blips on downshifts (you wont stop doing this, especially with pedestrians around!) which is very sporty and makes downshifts very quick with no lurch. In fact the changes are so smooth you almost dont realise how fast the car is accelerating. It really does flatter the driver.

My favourite experiences with the box though have been on tight and twisty open B-roads. Having both hands on the wheel and really exploiting the cars revs are easy with the DCT. No clutch depression mid corner to upset the balance of the car. Gear selections are instant and precise. You will NOT be disappointed with a DCT equipped car IMO.

A few have moaned about the lag issue. It is evident a little if set to auto mode and using a low setting (ie D2). If you approach a junction and lets say the car is in sixth, it sometimes takes a second or so for the car to decide to select 2nd. I never experience this as when I approach a roundabout or junction I donwshift using the paddles and decelerate the car using the gears, as I would a manual car.

The only concern I would have is the colour! Have you seen the car yet. My mate sent me this pic when they first received their demo car in - it has had mixed reviews but most of them are negative. Might affect resale value?

Hope this has helped!

(Pic below of demo yellow M3)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by badwolf340 View Post
Mikey ,saw your post ...what happened ,not nice ,hope it all turn's out well.
DXB ,yip a yellow edition.
which is what? a yellow car?
      10-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #9
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

Awesome in the yellow , don't follow the rest of the sheep lead um
      10-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
which is what? a yellow car?
Carlos, see the pic of one in my post above!!

Dakar Yellow in colour - edition models have:
  • Body colour stripe down the centre of the seats
  • Black grilles
  • Black bonnet vents
  • Black side grilles
  • Black anodised exhaust tips
  • Wing mirror caps in black but the housing in body colour (this is the bit I dont think looks right IMO?)
  • chequered sill guards
  • Black wheels
  • Suspension drop
  • DCT Box
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #11
badwolf340
Private First Class
Rep

M3-FAST, thank's great report,and yes car will have EDC,think i want to go with yellow,did want a white one ,but the pic you posted up of the yellow one look's
      10-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

yes mirrors would look better all one colour ie: black
      10-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
badwolf340
Private First Class
Rep

yip agree about the mirror's,but want to change rear spoiler for carbon one(any idea's) so would change to carbon mirror cap's .
      10-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #14
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
certainly looks different.
      10-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwolf340 View Post
yip agree about the mirror's,but want to change rear spoiler for carbon one(any idea's) so would change to carbon mirror cap's .
I have just bought a JL Motoring carbon rear spoiler ,its really nice was going to fit it to my car ,not sure now as I need some answers about my car first.
      10-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #16
badwolf340
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks MIKEY
      10-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #17
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

no worries Matey always here to help anyone .
      10-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #18
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

I owned an e92 M3 manual for a year and the manual gearbox was one of the most disappointing things about the car; it's not the best gearbox out there to say the least.

I have since driven a DCT one and it's MUCH better. If I was buying an M3 again I would only consider one with a DCT so if the car is otherwise perfect to you, then go for it!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #19
badwolf340
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
I owned an e92 M3 manual for a year and the manual gearbox was one of the most disappointing things about the car; it's not the best gearbox out there to say the least.

I have since driven a DCT one and it's MUCH better. If I was buying an M3 again I would only consider one with a DCT so if the car is otherwise perfect to you, then go for it!
would be losing a few thing's ,such as DAB and front PDC,but other wise quite well specced up..Did not mind the manual box ,so will see
      10-19-2009, 02:48 AM   #20
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
DCT is awesome. Not sure that I agree that its better than SMG2. Different - yes, better I don't think so. its great nonetheless.

I nearly went for a Dakar Yellow car. There was one on AUCS for almost 5 months and the price difference from start to finish was £6000! The dealer took a £4,500 grand loss on it as it was E-auctioned by BMW and my dealer was bidding on that car and another Alpine White M3 (for me but it went for $stupid money).

So big problem with them is shifting them on at the end be prepared to take a serious spanking on it, unless you get very lucky.
Appreciate 0