E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > ultimate driving machine my ass!

03-24-2016, 03:38 PM   #1
LM
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Angry ultimate driving machine my ass!

it's now been nearly a week I got my 335i and I've connected it to my computer no fault codes found drives normal a little jerky at times but it was all good. I have the common waste gate rattle which I heard doesn't cause any problems to the engine on turbo.

Last night I unleashed her fully for the first time. Floored it for around 7-8 seconds and the half bar engine management light came on, So I pulled over and switched her off for a couple minutes later switching it back on to see the engine management light was off. No error codes all clear. So with all the common problems on the 335i how can it be the ultimate driving machine if you can't really drive it to its potential?

On my gti I always beat the crap out of it and not a single hiccup. For sure can't really compare the two. e92 looks much better, more class and a better exhaust note and engine noise, But none of that matters if it's constantly gonna cause problems. It hasn't even been a week and I'm already thinking to move on. Disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM View Post
it's now been nearly a week I got my 335i and I've connected it to my computer no fault codes found drives normal a little jerky at times but it was all good. I have the common waste gate rattle which I heard doesn't cause any problems to the engine on turbo.

Last night I unleashed her fully for the first time. Floored it for around 7-8 seconds and the half bar engine management light came on, So I pulled over and switched her off for a couple minutes later switching it back on to see the engine management light was off. No error codes all clear. So with all the common problems on the 335i how can it be the ultimate driving machine if you can't really drive it to its potential?

On my gti I always beat the crap out of it and not a single hiccup. For sure can't really compare the two. e92 looks much better, more class and a better exhaust note and engine noise, But none of that matters if it's constantly gonna cause problems. It hasn't even been a week and I'm already thinking to move on. Disappointed.
Is your car brand new? Does it have 1,000,000 miles on it? Maybe somewhere in between those two extremes? Which year car? Any mods? Known service history? The devil is in the details... you can't make a blanket statement like you are above and actually expect to get anywhere unless this is just a rant/vent thread... in that case... yea that car sucks, you made a poor purchase decision (but my '08 n54 FBO is still awesome for me after 100k miles).
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
LM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Is your car brand new? Does it have 1,000,000 miles on it? Maybe somewhere in between those two extremes? Which year car? Any mods? Known service history? The devil is in the details... you can't make a blanket statement like you are above and actually expect to get anywhere unless this is just a rant/vent thread... in that case... yea that car sucks, you made a poor purchase decision (but my '08 n54 FBO is still awesome for me after 100k miles).
it has 67k on the clock it's a 2007. full service history. Car is completely stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 03:49 PM   #4
mrbubba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
it has 67k on the clock it's a 2007. full service history. Car is completely stock.
I've heard the early 335i was made out of chocolate! the newer one had better parts. I think a 2007 falls into the 1st category, not sure when they changed
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

The car is 9 years old. Somethings going to give at that age especially if the previous owner did not take care of the car as it should ....
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #6
LM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Bean_Bun View Post
The car is 9 years old. Somethings going to give at that age especially if the previous owner did not take care of the car as it should ....
well it has fsh and no fault codes generated.

What does the half engine management light mean? Like it didn't stay there it went after switching the engine off and back on again. It didn't tell me the problem. as far as I know it means drive normally and get to service as soon as you can. Though I'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

FSH doesn't mean anything. All about doing proper regular maintenance and treating her right.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 04:50 PM   #8
Lawton438
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

There's obviously a fault with your car mate, you need to get it to a garage or have the codes read with a proper reader.
It could be a million and one things.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #9
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
LM, the 335i is a great car, I have a 56 that I ve had for 4 years & has now done 93k. Yes things will go wrong with it, but it doesn't always mean it's gonna cost ££££ to put right. Strange that you say that it hasn't thrown a fault code, I have had the reduced power light a couple of times & it's always registered a code. First was a faulty coil. Second time it was loss of boost pressure. Does it go into reduced power under heavy acceleration?

Mrbubba, 'made of chocolate' what you talking about?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #10
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawton438 View Post
There's obviously a fault with your car mate, you need to get it to a garage or have the codes read with a proper reader.
It could be a million and one things.
Yep, just don't take it to a main stealer
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #11
Juz5i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I've got a 57 plate 335i. Had it a couple of years now & absolutely no problems at all(as of yet).
62k miles. No wastegate rattle.
In fact I was expecting something to have needed repairing/replacing by now but so far so good.

Agree with the post above. Get it checked with a proper reader/diagnostics and get the problem sorted. Then maybe you can enjoy driving it
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 05:29 PM   #12
LM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
LM, the 335i is a great car, I have a 56 that I ve had for 4 years & has now done 93k. Yes things will go wrong with it, but it doesn't always mean it's gonna cost ££££ to put right. Strange that you say that it hasn't thrown a fault code, I have had the reduced power light a couple of times & it's always registered a code. First was a faulty coil. Second time it was loss of boost pressure. Does it go into reduced power under heavy acceleration?

Mrbubba, 'made of chocolate' what you talking about?
No, No reduced power when the light came on. It was the half filled engine light. The reason why I'm so pissed off is I bought the car to tune and without even being tuned if it's gonna give me problems for being on full throttle for a few seconds whats the point. It will only give more on tune. idk I'm gonna take it back to the dealer I got it off and see what he can do. Thanks you're the only guy that gave a proper response all the others are acting like I'm cursing at them :S I'm just mad at myself that I went along and still purchased the car even though I knew the 335i is known to have a lot of problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 05:41 PM   #13
Fez335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Blue E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM View Post
No, No reduced power when the light came on. It was the half filled engine light. The reason why I'm so pissed off is I bought the car to tune and without even being tuned if it's gonna give me problems for being on full throttle for a few seconds whats the point. It will only give more on tune. idk I'm gonna take it back to the dealer I got it off and see what he can do. Thanks you're the only guy that gave a proper response all the others are acting like I'm cursing at them :S I'm just mad at myself that I went along and still purchased the car even though I knew the 335i is known to have a lot of problems.
When the half filled engine light comes on, is the idle rough? If so you've probably got a misfire.. Which could mean you might just need to replace coils and plugs... Get them to check the fault code, it could be something small
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #14
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I get the same on occasion but mine is pretty much FBO'd.

I'd say it's more than likely a 30FF code which can be a multitude of things. Could be a vacuum leak, actuators, etc etc.

I find tbh that I get it when full throttle first time round and then reset and can go the rest of the day no problems.

Don't just throw in the towel as it will be a potential minor issue and then you'll singing its praises over all else.
      03-24-2016, 06:01 PM   #15
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep

Garage List
LM, no worries. I would still suggest you find a local Indy & get the fault memory read rather than just check it on your computer. My local guy charged me £45 the first time I took it to him. Once you have a code & an idea of what's wrong you could take it back to the dealer with knowledge of the fault in case they try bullshitting you. If the dealers any good they will get it sorted.
As for making it go faster I run 386bhp & 460 toques & that cost me £825. 108mph 1/4 mile.
Don't be disheartened you have bought a 335i & it will make you smile.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 06:03 PM   #16
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 lci 330d

Problem could be that its a 9 year old car that may or may have not been ragged its hole life, the bmw service book only really includes oil and filter changes, brake fluid and pads etc, dont mention anything about spark plugs coils etc, so it could well be something pretty simple that bmw may well have not picked up on, theres not many cars out there unless an enthusiast has owned that would have had every service item and maintenance item done.

A car will only last so long before these bits need doing anyway, and if your thinking of tuning it you need to start with a good base by making sure you have a 100% correct running car before adding another 100 bhp to it
      03-24-2016, 09:03 PM   #17
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

You have a lot to learn OP

Your problem is most likely minor. A bad spark plug or coil that needs replacing probably. Maybe crappy fuel. Were you running 95 or Premium? You have to use premium for a boosted car like this. This is just the cars way of protecting itself from damage. Better this than to have something go bang.

Get yourself a way to read faults\codes. Replace bits as necessary.

These cars are absolutely solid with massive, massive potential to be unleashed.
In my opinion fuel pump and wastegate issues are over exaggerated.

Good luck! You'll have a blast.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2016, 09:24 PM   #18
M335Xi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Cant stand posts like this with new owners not doing their research or maintenance properly. Seems minor issues like AWSAWS mentioned make people hate on the N54.

93K on my '07 drives great, just have to maintain it properly like everyone says.

My previous '08 had 103K and drove just fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 05:31 AM   #19
abeardo83
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Agree with the above. It could be anything. I had the same issue. Mine turned out to be a collapsed vac line. Was replaced FOC by A1BN.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 08:12 AM   #20
The Londoner
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

I can sympathise with the OP. Might have been a tad OTT but I'm kinda with him on questioning BMW being the "ultimate driving machine".

I've been driving for a long time and have owned a lot of different cars, but never have I come across or owned a brand that has as many "common faults" as BMW does. Especially for the 2000s model years.

It's such a glitchy car across a lot of models.... Dodgy fuel pumps, abs pumps, coil packs, nox sensors, roll over sensors, injectors.. rattling waste gates, noisy wheel back plates, cracked alloys, seizing alternator pulleys... and the list goes on. All common faults.

I'll probably get team defensive blah blah blahing now, but without bmw tinted glasses on.... these cars are pound for pound the most unreliable motors I've ever seen, and the most expensive to fix mainly due to ridiculously expensive parts.

To be fair, the majority of the problems don't seem to be engine related, meaning you don't break down and get left stranded.... they mostly appear to be everything else that is bolted on. Not sure if that's a good thing though.

Would I recommend a mate buying an E9X... I don't think I could without feeling a bit guilty.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #21
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Londoner
I can sympathise with the OP. Might have been a tad OTT but I'm kinda with him on questioning BMW being the "ultimate driving machine".

I've been driving for a long time and have owned a lot of different cars, but never have I come across or owned a brand that has as many "common faults" as BMW does. Especially for the 2000s model years.

It's such a glitchy car across a lot of models.... Dodgy fuel pumps, abs pumps, coil packs, nox sensors, roll over sensors, injectors.. rattling waste gates, noisy wheel back plates, cracked alloys, seizing alternator pulleys... and the list goes on. All common faults.

I'll probably get team defensive blah blah blahing now, but without bmw tinted glasses on.... these cars are pound for pound the most unreliable motors I've ever seen, and the most expensive to fix mainly due to ridiculously expensive parts.

To be fair, the majority of the problems don't seem to be engine related, meaning you don't break down and get left stranded.... they mostly appear to be everything else that is bolted on. Not sure if that's a good thing though.

Would I recommend a mate buying an E9X... I don't think I could without feeling a bit guilty.
They are only the the ultimate driving machine when working....when not are basically ultimate pieces of crap as any car would when not working.
Bmw profits from all these little parts that break.....now tell me do you think they will fix those problems?
I think not!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #22
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubba View Post
I've heard the early 335i was made out of chocolate! the newer one had better parts. I think a 2007 falls into the 1st category, not sure when they changed
Nope. 115,000 fbo. Only minor problems that everyone has
Appreciate 0