E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Really angry with the cops in my town.....

03-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #45
Pinarello Rider
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerCop View Post
...I've stopped cars just to keep me busy and with no intentions whatsoever of writing a ticket and that person has driven away with multiple tickets.
This is disturbing. Don't you need you have a REASON to pull someone over?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #46
BimmerCop
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinarello Rider View Post
This is disturbing. Don't you need you have a REASON to pull someone over?
Completely taken out of context.

First of all, where did I say I stopped cars with no probable cause? If I see a car going down the road with just 1 headlight on at 4am, I have probable cause to stop him but doesn't mean I have to write him a ticket for it.

99% of the time, I will not write this person a ticket unless he/she becomes unruly or just acts very hostile.

If I'm busy on other police matters, I will not bother stopping people with defective headlights, but if it's a very slow night, then yes, I will stop those cars to stay busy.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #47
Pinarello Rider
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Completely taken out of context.

First of all, where did I say I stopped cars with no probable cause? If I see a car going down the road with just 1 headlight on at 4am, I have probable cause to stop him but doesn't mean I have to write him a ticket for it.
I took that quote directly from your post. But thanks for clarifying - it didn't come across that way.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #48
EB9512
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i SDN Sport Pkg

Been a Deputy, now different

I have been a county sheriff (never had a quota by the way but would be encouraged to aggressively patrol a certain stretch ) and now have been in medical sales for 15 years...and I can tell you that yes...a-holes exist on every job. But allow me to offer a different perspective on your cops getting away with "everything" because they are cops. It happens with speeding, professional courtesy, (sometimes not between State and locals), and sometimes a drive home from a sobriety stop...but the minute it involves something more...communication over the radio instead of cell, for example, while lightly "buzzed". The officer is in far worse shape than the civilian. I witnessed cops suspended, fired and prosecuted for cases that a decent lawyer could get down to a seatbelt violation fine. Why? Politicians want to keep their jobs and media is everywhere now. Also, a cop getting away with crazy squad car driving is a common civilian complaint but in reality rarely happens even if the officer wants it to happen. Why? Because when your driving a squad all the traffic slows down around you and blocks you in at 2 MPH under posted limit. Try and get home for a date with your wife, the only one that month, and be blocked in for 40 minutes you might do a rolling stop too ;-). You might do an occasional rolling stop in the Bimmer now. Just remember that most officers just want to do their jobs and get home safe....just like you do.....be polite and generally speaking they treat you with the same respect.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #49
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
You missed my point entirely. You don't need to brake the law for this to happen. You just need a cop with a quota to meet.
Quota yes, but if your cited for something that you didn't do, then you can get go to court to get out of it.

How many times have you been pulled over for driving 10 under the limit, and cited for speeding? Or running a red light when you were parked?

My point is if you get pulled over 99.9% of the time there was valid reason for it.

Everyone breaks the law, but nobody wants to get caught doing it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #50
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

I've had experiences like this. A while ago, I was driving home around midnight from a late day at work. Out of nowhere, a cop comes flying up behind me with no lights on, changes lanes inches from my bumper without signaling, and continues at twice the speed limit. My instinct kicked in and I flashed my brights, figuring that if he was legitimately responding to an emergency and was justified in going that quickly without his siren or lights on he would just ignore me.

Long story short, I got pulled over and harassed for 30 minutes by him and an older cop who pulled up sone time later. They made me do a sobriety test, and when I passed I told them I was just concerned because the cop was speeding and nearly hit me changing lanes. I was essentially told "don't do that, I'm a cop and I can do whatever I want, if you try to stop me or signal me to slow down we're just gonna get ya."

Lesson learned.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #51
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

imho one of the common "misunderstandings" is, wouldn't it be fair to say a good portion of police officers have a military background? Isn't the military quite a bit different from say the way that life goes on, "Keeping Up with the Kardashians?" So if you're speeding, you get a summons, and the officer didn't let you go, that doesn't necessarily mean he's an a*****. He may just not be coddling you like a trust fund baby, even if you are one. I have two friends, one went to that Ivy League med school in Cambridge, the other went to the Naval Academy, then that school in B'more, and trained in Bethesda. Their bedside manners are totally different, you get my drift? The former knows how to coddle the trust fund babies so as to not hurt their feelings or egos, the other is very clinical and all business.

Again, from my personal experience, every officer I've been pulled over by has been professional and courteous. Why? I couldn't tell you. I'd have to go back to age 19 when I did 155 in a 55 to find a case where I feel the police officer treated me in a less than courteous manner.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #52
Pinarello Rider
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My word against his. Guess who wins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Quota yes, but if your cited for something that you didn't do, then you can get go to court to get out of it.

How many times have you been pulled over for driving 10 under the limit, and cited for speeding? Or running a red light when you were parked?

My point is if you get pulled over 99.9% of the time there was valid reason for it.

Everyone breaks the law, but nobody wants to get caught doing it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #53
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
That's why everyone should follow DC's lead and install speed cams. No cop is tailgating anybody, the camera doesn't assume just because you're 17 and drive a BMW that you deserve a ticket. Anyone doing 31 in a 25 gets a $75 fine, doubled in work zones.
I'm curious where you get the 6 mph figure as the DC website only states a "threshold speed" above the limit.

http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1...7C31886%7C.asp

In suburban MD, that threshold speed has been publicly stated as 12 mph over the limit.

And since I've passed many DC camers at 9 mph over with no tickets, I suspect the DC threshold is similar - unless it is variable (which is why I would really appreciate your source).

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #54
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 VW GTI;18 CX9;11 E91 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
I'm curious where you get the 6 mph figure as the DC website only states a "threshold speed" above the limit.

In suburban MD, that threshold speed has been publicly stated as 12 mph over the limit.

And since I've passed many DC camers at 9 mph over with no tickets, I suspect the DC threshold is similar - unless it is variable (which is why I would really appreciate your source).

Tom
9MPH threshold? You are lucky.

While we don't have cops with radar guns, we have loads of cameras in The Netherlands. Three tickets arrived in my mailbox Friday afternoon; two of them were for 6KPH over! Likely due to a new camera that's not yet been loaded on to my Garmin. In any event, not a huge deal since we don't have a point system here and the tickets are usually just 30-50 Euros. I guess the tickets are more of a "speed tax" than anything else...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #55
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundle View Post
9MPH threshold? You are lucky.

While we don't have cops with radar guns, we have loads of cameras in The Netherlands. Three tickets arrived in my mailbox Friday afternoon; two of them were for 6KPH over! Likely due to a new camera that's not yet been loaded on to my Garmin. In any event, not a huge deal since we don't have a point system here and the tickets are usually just 30-50 Euros. I guess the tickets are more of a "speed tax" than anything else...
That seems to be the case here as well. My wife has gotten a few $40 tickets while traveling with 45 mph traffic on roads posted for 30 - which is too low, IMHO. Luckily, my radar detector warns me of the cameras up well in advance.

Its one thing if the speed limits are reasonable, but since most of them are not, it is simply for the revenue.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #56
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Tom
Two people I work with said they got 31 in a 25/$75 fines--if you are certain you did 9, I'm curious actually to see their violations. Thing is, could you have been doing 9 and put on your brakes, i.e. slowing to under 6?

I have heard 11 mph is tolerated in MD, which I feel is fine. only 5 mph is cutting it close imho.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #57
Denny347
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy_0559 View Post
i have a question lol i always wanted to ask a cop this question!
as an 18 year old with these plates if you had the slightest feeling of giving me a warning would you change your mind completely and give me a ticket for for my plates? haha honestly!

P.S. i have never been given a warning even when i drove my 89 toyota pickup i guess its just me

Attachment 656083
Nope, it's just a plate. Your driving is what will catch my attention. I run traffic only looking for stolen cars (plates that don't match the car), warrants, or suspended drivers. Short of that, you will get a warning from me.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #58
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny347 View Post
Nope, it's just a plate. Your driving is what will catch my attention. I run traffic only looking for stolen cars (plates that don't match the car), warrants, or suspended drivers. Short of that, you will get a warning from me.
I'm all for automation. Do we ever think for a second whether all cash tolls should be eliminated, and whether everything should be done by transponder? TX is like that, no tag, = you get a higher toll in the mail sent to you.

Ditto for traffic, why is it still necessary for police officers to waste their time checking peoples' speed or if they ran a red light, or if a tag is stolen? All of that can be done with red light cams, speed cams, or ALPR.

What's nice is nobody can do things anonymously anymore just because an officer didn't see it. You get those bozos with GPS and two camcorders mounted on their cars playing "Citizen's Arrest," so why shouldn't cops get the toys as well?

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #59
sashcraft09
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070
Quote:
I'm all for automation. Do we ever think for a second whether all cash tolls should be eliminated, and whether everything should be done by transponder? TX is like that, no tag, = you get a higher toll in the mail sent to you.

Ditto for traffic, why is it still necessary for police officers to waste their time checking peoples' speed or if they ran a red light, or if a tag is stolen? All of that can be done with red light cams, speed cams, or ALPR.

What's nice is nobody can do things anonymously anymore just because an officer didn't see it. You get those bozos with GPS and two camcorders mounted on their cars playing "Citizen's Arrest," so why shouldn't cops get the toys as well?

Because simple traffic stops catch murderers, smugglers, thieves, etc. Cameras don't. The traffic stop is a tool as often as it's the goal.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #60
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Two people I work with said they got 31 in a 25/$75 fines--if you are certain you did 9, I'm curious actually to see their violations.
I periodically travel down 16th st. NW from MD. My understanding is that there are cameras on upper 16th as well as near the Carter Barron, and I have passed through these areas with the speedo on 41 (true speed of 39) with nary a ticket.

Is it possible your friends were doing 11~12 mph over the limit but were only charged with 6, reducing the fine by $50? But if they truly got their tickets thru photo radar while doing only 31 in a 25 zone, I'll slow down. But it's at the risk of being rear ended, given the number of overly aggressive drivers around here.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #61
Pinarello Rider
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I should not be subject to a search without probable cause. Simply driving on a public road is not probable cause.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #62
Denny347
Major
Rep

Quote:

We only have a few APR's...I don't have one. I have to run plates the old fashioned way. We have no traffic cams in Indy nor will we have any in the foreseeable future. I just don't see a reason to have one.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #63
Denny347
Major
Rep

Quote:
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I should not be subject to a search without probable cause. Simply driving on a public road is not probable cause.
Are you talking about running plates? I agree that an officer needs reasonable suspicion (not probable cause) to stop a car. However, the USSC has ruled a dozen times over the years that we can run license plates anytime we want to as long as we are in a place that legally allows us to view the plate. I randomly runs plates all the time (I work a high crime area) looking for stolen cars or plate that don't match the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #64
BimmerCop
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Are you talking about running plates? I agree that an officer needs reasonable suspicion (not probable cause) to stop a car. However, the USSC has ruled a dozen times over the years that we can run license plates anytime we want to as long as we are in a place that legally allows us to view the plate. I randomly runs plates all the time (I work a high crime area) looking for stolen cars or plate that don't match the car.
+1000

Probable cause is a word thrown around all the time and most don't know what they are talking about other than what they learn from watching Law and Order on TV. Another one is Miranda Rights. People think one is obligated in reading them their rights as soon as they are arrested.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #65
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I periodically travel down 16th st. NW from MD. My understanding is that there are cameras on upper 16th as well as near the Carter Barron, and I have passed through these areas with the speedo on 41 (true speed of 39) with nary a ticket.

Is it possible your friends were doing 11~12 mph over the limit but were only charged with 6, reducing the fine by $50? But if they truly got their tickets thru photo radar while doing only 31 in a 25 zone, I'll slow down. But it's at the risk of being rear ended, given the number of overly aggressive drivers around here.

Tom
According to the DC website, you are spot-on.....

5400 block of 16th Street, NW (southbound) 4

http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1...av,|31886|.asp

The thing is where I've come across the cameras, traffic slowed to the speed limit, I distinctly got the feeling District residents know where all the cams are and slow, and it was the VA/MD plates that were still speeding...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #66
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
+1000

Probable cause is a word thrown around all the time and most don't know what they are talking about other than what they learn from watching Law and Order on TV. Another one is Miranda Rights. People think one is obligated in reading them their rights as soon as they are arrested.
I had a buddy at my last job who was of Spanish descent. he told me if I were driving down the road in a 1988 Camry with dark windows rolling through Alpine, NJ, and you do the same with your 335i, who do you think the police are going to take notice to? But then, his next comment wasn't what you might think. He said for me to roll through Alpine is suspicious, and it's understandable and perfectly fine that I would get pulled over. Because I have everything on the up-and-up and nothing to hide. He liked to call me bro'. He said bro', who do you think comprises the majority of the population on Rikers? As a matter of fact his half-brother was there serving a double-life sentence.
Appreciate 0