E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > DDM Tuning for HIDs?

01-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

DDM Tuning for HIDs?

I've used them for HIDs for my truck but I really dont see any threads on here about DDM so Im wondering if anyone else is running them and if they are happy with them?
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Cat...hting/HID-Kits
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

Had them on my fog lights for about 5 years. Still good. I used them on my m3 as well and still good. For the most part they are good and last long. I paid 35.00 for them but that was a long time ago
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Hierlevelz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 AW E9X M

Unrelated but I have them on my bike and they've been good so far. Reasonably priced too.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
Had them on my fog lights for about 5 years. Still good. I used them on my m3 as well and still good. For the most part they are good and last long. I paid 35.00 for them but that was a long time ago
Dumb question but are the angel eyes and HID headlights seperate bulbs?
Or does one bulb light up the angel eyes and the headlights?

Basically Im asking if I want it all to look 6-8000k do I need an angel eye kit AND HID headlights?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Evochuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 09

One bulb for AEs (the typical replacement is LED) one bulb for headlights, although HID AEs can be done, but its separate.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the block

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1438/...38e404ec_o.jpg
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

DDM tuning hids normally have bad reviews. My friend recently got them and in less then 2 weeks they failed. I told him where to go for HID's originally and he said that he could get the cheaper at DDM tuning. All said and done he wish he had listened to me from the start and bought them from a reputable company.

DDM Tuning's HID exchange policy also requires you to pay $20 for an exchange even if they have failed prematurely. It's claimed to cover the cost of shipping and administrative costs. So if you have a HID kit fail from DDM tuning your $30 kit + Shipping now turned into a $50 Kit plus shipping and you have to ship it back to them which is going to cost you even more. All said and done you have now paid over $60 on an HID kit if it fails and you could have got a legitimate kit from a quality company for just a little more. You would also have a hassle free return policy if in fact the kit failed prematurely.

There will still be people here who have had kits for 3 years - 5 years and whatever and thats great, you are the lucky ones. I can also list about 10 people I know who have had them and had them fail.

On this particular BMW regular HID kits won't work anyway unless you have the car coded.
So you need to buy a CANBUS HID Kit or it will throw errors or not work at all. The only reputable HID kit I've seen here is the HPB HID kit. There are few other vendors selling lighting and hid kits, and they also have very poor reviews from time to time even here on E90. HPB is www.highperformancebulbs.com for those that dont know. I would give them a shout if your looking for any LED or HID's.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3r2E9r View Post
DDM tuning hids normally have bad reviews. My friend recently got them and in less then 2 weeks they failed. I told him where to go for HID's originally and he said that he could get the cheaper at DDM tuning. All said and done he wish he had listened to me from the start and bought them from a reputable company.

DDM Tuning's HID exchange policy also requires you to pay $20 for an exchange even if they have failed prematurely. It's claimed to cover the cost of shipping and administrative costs. So if you have a HID kit fail from DDM tuning your $30 kit + Shipping now turned into a $50 Kit plus shipping and you have to ship it back to them which is going to cost you even more. All said and done you have now paid over $60 on an HID kit if it fails and you could have got a legitimate kit from a quality company for just a little more. You would also have a hassle free return policy if in fact the kit failed prematurely.

There will still be people here who have had kits for 3 years - 5 years and whatever and thats great, you are the lucky ones. I can also list about 10 people I know who have had them and had them fail.

On this particular BMW regular HID kits won't work anyway unless you have the car coded.
So you need to buy a CANBUS HID Kit or it will throw errors or not work at all. The only reputable HID kit I've seen here is the HPB HID kit. There are few other vendors selling lighting and hid kits, and they also have very poor reviews from time to time even here on E90. HPB is www.highperformancebulbs.com for those that dont know. I would give them a shout if your looking for any LED or HID's.
Thanks for the info

What bulb part number do I need to get rid of that amber look of my corner lights in the headlights
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Duramax View Post
Thanks for the info

What bulb part number do I need to get rid of that amber look of my corner lights in the headlights
There are many people who reference corner lights and front blinkers.
There is a tiny corner light literally in the corner of some BMW's. You cannot change it. You can have it coded to shut off or if you are good with electrics you can solder in your own LED.

If you need front turn signals in LED HPB also offers a high powered turn signal. I have them personally as well as their interior LED kit. Stellar products and service from them.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep

How do you code out the light to shut it off?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:53 AM   #11
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: backwards

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGmatthew View Post
DDM has coilovers!? Well, at least my 3k hid fogs are the temp they're supposed to be.

#TeamStretchNPoke
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
SleepyWeasel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:

My son received a bad HID bulb from DDM for his Mazda. He called DDM, went through his trouble shooting steps, they confirmed it was a bad bulb. He had to provide a picture of the bulb with the wires cut and they sent him a new bulb. Didn't cost him anything.
      01-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

DDM used to be ApexCone.
Started by a BMW enthusiast.

I used the HID's on multiple cars. They honor the lifetime warranty.
I now have them on my Honda VFR.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
tigermack
OPN DIFF
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 10' E90 M3 6MT LB

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW e36 325i  [7.91]
2006 BMW e90 330i  [8.34]
I have DDM HID kits on multiple cars, no problems. They also honor the warranty very well, one of the kits had a bulb that would not start the first time without turning on the switch a few times.

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
https://www.instagram.com/tigermack
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

I've had several ddm kits. They have all been good. One ballast died after 4-5 years, but for $20 (ballast only) it exceeded my expectations.
      01-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep

Since I have HID headlights would getting them even make a difference?
And how do I code out my amber lights
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyWeasel View Post
My son received a bad HID bulb from DDM for his Mazda. He called DDM, went through his trouble shooting steps, they confirmed it was a bad bulb. He had to provide a picture of the bulb with the wires cut and they sent him a new bulb. Didn't cost him anything.
That's awesome. How long ago was this? I'm just reiterating their current policy today. I rather just buy from a company with excellent products and good customer service. I rather not have to deal with even submitting a product for warranty, I rather just have stuff work out of the box. There are plenty of horror stories to go along with the success stories. Historically, there are too many horror stories to go along with the good. A google search will easily show this.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #18
GarageKeptE92
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

I'm an avid believer that you get what you par for is right most of the time. After reading a thread like this about a year ago on a different forum I said for the money let me find out what is the deal with these HID Kits from DDM Tuning. Needless to say I was disapointed out of the gate. I installed them. The first time out they flickered and I had to shut them off and turn them back on. They fired up shortly after. All seemed well. A couple months down the road I had the same problem and they wouldn't turn on. I had to turn them off and on and they would eventually go on. This got to the point where I had to habitually turn the headlights on and off before they would turn on. I went through there troubleshooting process and it seemed to stem from a bad bulb as I switched ballast and not the bulbs and the problem still remained on one side. So I went through the process of getting a warranty claim through, and I had to pay the shipping charges. I got the new bulb and everything seemed fine. Then no more then a week later that same side wouldn't turn on. Troubleshooted again, and it seemed it was the ballast as I switched ballast and it worked. I cut my losses right there and through the damn things out. I can read 100 more reviews of peoples HID kits working from DDM tuning. I'm normally a busy person throughout the day and I dont like taking up my spare time to troubleshoot HID's every other week. I'll stick with a more reputable company and pay a few extra dollars. You have to ask yourself why they are so damn cheap if everyone else charges nearly 2x more.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #19
SleepyWeasel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
That's awesome. How long ago was this? I'm just reiterating their current policy today. I rather just buy from a company with excellent products and good customer service. I rather not have to deal with even submitting a product for warranty, I rather just have stuff work out of the box. There are plenty of horror stories to go along with the success stories. Historically, there are too many horror stories to go along with the good. A google search will easily show this.
Last month. He's happy with them, all that matters. He won't have the car for more than a year or two, so if they last that long it's a good deal.
      01-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Sounds more like a PWM issue with your car honestly. Did you every try running them directly off the battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageKeptE92 View Post
I'm an avid believer that you get what you par for is right most of the time. After reading a thread like this about a year ago on a different forum I said for the money let me find out what is the deal with these HID Kits from DDM Tuning. Needless to say I was disapointed out of the gate. I installed them. The first time out they flickered and I had to shut them off and turn them back on. They fired up shortly after. All seemed well. A couple months down the road I had the same problem and they wouldn't turn on. I had to turn them off and on and they would eventually go on. This got to the point where I had to habitually turn the headlights on and off before they would turn on. I went through there troubleshooting process and it seemed to stem from a bad bulb as I switched ballast and not the bulbs and the problem still remained on one side. So I went through the process of getting a warranty claim through, and I had to pay the shipping charges. I got the new bulb and everything seemed fine. Then no more then a week later that same side wouldn't turn on. Troubleshooted again, and it seemed it was the ballast as I switched ballast and it worked. I cut my losses right there and through the damn things out. I can read 100 more reviews of peoples HID kits working from DDM tuning. I'm normally a busy person throughout the day and I dont like taking up my spare time to troubleshoot HID's every other week. I'll stick with a more reputable company and pay a few extra dollars. You have to ask yourself why they are so damn cheap if everyone else charges nearly 2x more.
      03-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #21
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

will the ddm error cancelers make the set error free on my 08 e90?
Appreciate 0