E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > AC not working - BIG problem

05-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 320d

AC not working - BIG problem

Hello to all,

I have some serious problems with my car and my mechanic does not know how to fix it. Air condition compressor is ok, gas is not leaking, complete system is ok but compressor does not get impulse to turn ON ever, all LEDs on air condition in the car are working but the car is simply not reacting on temperature that I give, it does blow but air is from the outside. On diagnostic laptop it gives some error like "Comunnication of the main computer with air condition computer error". Something like that. Can anyone help me or maybe someone had this stupid problem ? Could it be that air condition part with wheels inside the cabin is not working ? I am really lost and even in BMW garage they dont know what it is. They all thought that it is compressor but my mechanic connected it directly with a wire and then the AC works, air is cold. But when connected on the car it does not trigger anything. And also he says that the car shows zeros on AC pressure but the gas and pressure is there. He tried to change indicator of gas pressure on compressor and still nothing. My car is BMW 320d E90 Year 2007.

Thanks a lot
      05-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82

sorry about your problem and hope you get it resolved before it REALLY starts getting hot
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yea I really hope that I will fix it and I hope that someone had this problem before.
      05-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Check the wires to the AC. You may need a new compressor. I'm not sure if the control module is actually on the compressor.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Compressor is ok, when I connect compressor directly with wires and give him + it starts immediately and the AC is working, cold air comes from the vents. Is that cable from main computer to AC one piece and can be bought separately ? Can you give me photo and location of that cable ?

Tnx
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busha
Yea I really hope that I will fix it and I hope that someone had this problem before.
Ihka module is probably bad. Here's a used one

http://shop.mobileweb.ebay.com/searchresults?kw=E90+ihka&cmd=SREF&fads=All&call=A ll&sort=BestMatch&mfs=GOCLK&acimp=0&isNewKw=true

It will need to be programmed and coded, I can do it through the Internet if the dealer tries to screw you over. You can try running it without the coding, it could work...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Sounds like a relay isn't getting its signal if compressor isn't kicking on either. I would trace where it is supposed to get its signal, and also check the relay. (dunno if its a module or not)

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite
Sounds like a relay isn't getting its signal if compressor isn't kicking on either. I would trace where it is supposed to get its signal, and also check the relay. (dunno if its a module or not)
Oh yeah, do check the relay first. It's a lot cheaper lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Where is that relay located exactly ? And also where is this IHKA part ? Is there german name or serial number for that because Im from Croatia and probably would buy it in Germany. I think that the mechanic told me that those wires which go on compressor to turn it ON have no electricity, that is why it wirks when connected on + on the battery.

Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busha View Post
Where is that relay located exactly ? And also where is this IHKA part ? Is there german name or serial number for that because Im from Croatia and probably would buy it in Germany. I think that the mechanic told me that those wires which go on compressor to turn it ON have no electricity, that is why it wirks when connected on + on the battery.

Thanks a lot
http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r.../e90/index.htm

1) Component and Signal Information
2) Components
3) Relays
4) K19 Relay A/C Compressor

Now the trick is finding where that relay is.

I'll see if I can find it myself, but this is where you would probably want to look.

The + signal just magnetizes the fan clutch to "engage it" so that the drive belt spins it under load. When it doesn't have a signal, it (in a perfect world) has no load on the drive belts.

If it didn't engage when you hit with power, I would have said the clutch is bad because it doesn't engage (which in my experience means your replacing the compressor).

welcome

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Mechanic told me that he had checked fuses and relays. Where are those located, maybe I should swap AC fuse with new one. How to check if the relay is ok ?

Tnx
      05-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busha
Mechanic told me that he had checked fuses and relays. Where are those located, maybe I should swap AC fuse with new one. How to check if the relay is ok ?

Tnx
Swap it with an identical relay that is working properly
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you very much guys for helping me, today I was again in BMW garage and they flashed new software on the car and the AC is working like nothing happened ! They have never seen this kind of malfunction, main computer seems to have lost ability to control the AC, for him the pressure in the AC was 0 and not 6.5 bar like it should. After flashing new software everything is back to normal. Only I need to go to my mechanic to turn off that passenger seat foil warning again.

Hope it will help someone else when everything is ok but the AC is not cooling.

Cheers from Croatia
      05-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Thank YOU for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #15
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Np, thats why we are here for It costed me 50$ for fixing it and 10 days driving with no AC on 30 degree celsius and 2 visits to my mechanic and 2 visits to BMW garage 70 km from me. I am so happy to have cold car today, like I got a new one
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
xquizitdjx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Im lost here. Is the k19 for a 2007 e92 located behind the glove box?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 08:08 AM   #17
hoodsta310
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e91 msport individuale

i have the same exact issue as busha the only problem is that the person that sold me the car put in the new i drive with the 8 buttons and I'm afraid if i do the software update it will block the drive since it doesn't belong to that year

no power to the compressor changed the ihka module same issue changed pressure indicator same issue computer reads failure communication with ecu also reads no pressure in climate but there is same exact issue as busha help please its 32° celsius here and i have hyperhidrosis which means i sweat from my head constantly

Last edited by hoodsta310; 06-30-2014 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: being more specific
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #18
hoodsta310
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e91 msport individuale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busha View Post
Hello to all,

I have some serious problems with my car and my mechanic does not know how to fix it. Air condition compressor is ok, gas is not leaking, complete system is ok but compressor does not get impulse to turn ON ever, all LEDs on air condition in the car are working but the car is simply not reacting on temperature that I give, it does blow but air is from the outside. On diagnostic laptop it gives some error like "Comunnication of the main computer with air condition computer error". Something like that. Can anyone help me or maybe someone had this stupid problem ? Could it be that air condition part with wheels inside the cabin is not working ? I am really lost and even in BMW garage they dont know what it is. They all thought that it is compressor but my mechanic connected it directly with a wire and then the AC works, air is cold. But when connected on the car it does not trigger anything. And also he says that the car shows zeros on AC pressure but the gas and pressure is there. He tried to change indicator of gas pressure on compressor and still nothing. My car is BMW 320d E90 Year 2007.

Thanks a lot
hey I hope u can help me out I have the same exact issue that u had but the guy that sold it to me added the new I drive with the 8 button from the 2011 model and I'm afraid that if I update the car software it would block the I drive since it wad coded by a third party tech and not an official Bmw network please I need to fix this problem because it's really hot in here in Rome and I'm from canada it's like 33 celsius out here thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 03:37 AM   #19
Chadm
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 330e Sport Pro

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate5ks View Post

It will need to be programmed and coded, I can do it through the Internet if the dealer tries to screw you over. You can try running it without the coding, it could work...
I recently bought a new IHKA module / panel to change the cosmetics of the interior, but there is a problem - the a/c no longer works, I guess due to the aforementioned coding that you spoke of (works fine if I put the old one back in, and all other functions seem to work fine). Any pointers you can give me on the coding? I have done bits before like disabling chimes and bulb checks, but not sure where to go for this one...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #20
Un-Trained Grease Monkey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i MT

Garage List
2010 BMW  [0.00]
Don't know if this is dead or not. But, I've been having some strange issues with my AC. It would just stop blowing cold after 5-10 mins of running. The blower is fine & air is moving, just not cold. If at a stop, I notice the RPM would bounce from 500/600 to 900/1000 & drop back down very 5 secs. If I turn the AC off, after it stops working, the RPM stops bouncing. While the AC is functioning & on, I have no issues. I believe something is causing restrictions of some kind.

What I've noticed so far: In the mornings, It's about 70 outside & the AC is fine. I can drive to work with no issues. In the middle of the day when its about 95-100 outside, the AC will stop blowing cold (my drive home blows goats). I've had the system flushed & replace the coolant, but the issue continues. I really don't want to waste money replacing the compressor & come up short again. I just need to %100 sure. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0