E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > This New Yorker need snowboarding help....

09-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

This New Yorker need snowboarding help....

Hey guys. My name is Joe. I'm from New York and I'm a big time snowboarder. Every season for the 6 years, my friends and I have been doing out annual Vermont trips. But they're getting to be a bit boring. You can only ski Killington and Mt. Snow so much.

So myself and a could of the other die-hards have been trying to generate interest in going out west. The only problem is that we really don't know where to start. I figures the regional forums would be a good place to gather some info.

Here's some background info and stuff we're looking for:
- We're all between the ages of 24-26.
- We've got die-hard snowboarders, girls learning to snowboard, casual skiers, and a couple of X-country skiers.
- The girls naturally would like some kind of spa for the days that they're not on the slopes.
- Good nightlife would be nice.

Now, we're not sure if we're going to rent a house for a few days or get a couple of hotel rooms. I'm open to all suggestions. If anyone could post past experiences they've had from from various places, it would be awesome.
I made a thread like this when i went to montreal and was able to get back a bunch of info on the city. i hoping for the same here. If it helps my cause, I grew up as an Avalanche fan idolizing Forsberg lol.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Joe, so many choices.... My background: I was a ski bum for 2 years, then went to college (skied ~some~ in college), got hooked on ice climbing for 8 years (it was cheap) - got a free board from vendor, now been snowboarding for 15 years, doing back country a lot too for past 12 years. (I ~know~ Colorado. ) I'm sure you've looked at Summit County, this gives you the choice of Breckenridge, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin, or Copper Mtn, if you find a condo in say, Frisco. This also gives you the opportunity to ski/ride at Loveland (one of my favs) or Vail for a day. But you're going to fight the Front Range skiers/riders, that is, us Denver/Boulder/Ft Collins/Colorado Springs folk on the lift lines. I definitely suggest you look at Crested Butte (Gunnison airport) and Steamboat Springs (Steamboat/Hayden airport), they're big mountains but lift lines will be smaller. Your X-country friends will like these spots too, though Summit County has plenty of opportunities as well. There is also Winter Park/Mary Jane, but that's real close to Denver as well. To answer your Q, get a house in Frisco (cheap as Frisco doesn't "have" a mountain, but there is free shuttle service to every mountain in Summit County that runs regularly on a Swiss schedule) or Breck or C.B. Definitely find a place with a private hot tub, they exist for cheaper than you think, especially in Frisco. Get a condo in Steamboat, I've found renting houses prett high there. Personally I would stay away from Hotels, with the number of people you have, you can find a house or condo with plenty of bedrooms. It's always nice to have a kitchen too - it's the party spot when you're not in the tub.

Last edited by IN54NITY; 09-15-2010 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: Answer the Q.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Are the girls learning how to snowboard cute?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
Usermanual
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

If you want to make it a ski vacation, the above comment stands as the benchmark... Now if you're interested in spending some time on the mountain, but then having a VACATION; Aspen or Beaver Creek... especially if the girls are looking to bring a bag full of swimsuits.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usermanual View Post
If you want to make it a ski vacation, the above comment stands as the benchmark... Now if you're interested in spending some time on the mountain, but then having a VACATION; Aspen or Beaver Creek... especially if the girls are looking to bring a bag full of swimsuits.
You're right, I left out Vail/Beaver Creek, Aspen/Snowmass, and Telluride. Those have the better shopping and great skiing, but the wallet has to open much wider. (I'm making assumptions based on their age, shame on me.) Beaver Creek has a reputation for being an old geezeer mtn, but I really like that mountain - huge vertical, and the older I get, the more I like "cruzer" runs. Aspen, Vail, Telluride, Breckenridge have the best night life. But young flesh abounds at all ski areas, so there's at least some nightlife at any mountain. BTW, forgot to mention that Frisco is in the middle of Summit County. Also, if you decide in Vail/Beaver Creek, you can stay in Minturn or Avon. Skiing/riding the trees at Copper (where I was a bum so I could gain in-state residency status for CU) is still my top 3 spots in the entire state.
      09-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer This View Post
Are the girls learning how to snowboard cute?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usermanual View Post
... especially if the girls are looking to bring a bag full of swimsuits.
It's a good thing you're bringing your own, eh, women to the show, as you can see by these posts. Once you hit a ski bar at 9pm, you'll find the sausage to taco ratio at about 7 to 1.

Last edited by IN54NITY; 09-16-2010 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckzandr View Post
It's a good thing you're bringing your own, eh, women to the show, as you can see by these posts. Once you hit a ski bar at 9pm, you'll find the sausage to taco ratio at about 7 to 1.
Yeah, every where I go seems to be Sausage Fest 2010.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckzandr View Post
lololol gonna have to get there early then lololololol
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Whats a snowboard??? Im being 100% honest when I say this, live in CO since 93, never been skiing/snowboarding once. Just doesnt appeal to me, and Ive only been up there one time during the winter. We rented a house out at Keystone for a weekend, 18 of us, ish, some people coming for a night, some for the whole time, but for me and a few others, it was a get shitfaced fest. Keystone, was sausageville. Thankfully we had plenty of girls that wanted to come up for the weekend.

I do hear from others that Park City Utah is pretty good too. Ive been through there during the summer and there seems to be a bunch of stuff there to do and its all newer/nice too, since they had the Olympics there a few years back.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
stamd1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 535xi

For the best combo of mountain and ski town, I would definitely pick Breckenridge, Vail or Aspen. If the girls are not going to ski/board everyday then they would definitely enjoy the ambiance of the these towns. Nightlife is better in these towns. If you are coming all the way over from the east coast then I would definitely stay in one of these towns rather than shuttle to many different mountains.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

to be honest nightlife in the mountains is pretty lame if you are used to anything good. Coming from queens, you are used to nyc, you will think the night life is a joke out here. I came from S. FL and I gave up on night life in the mountains a long time ago. Just pick the resort based on where you want to ski.
      10-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #12
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamd1 View Post
For the best combo of mountain and ski town, I would definitely pick Breckenridge, Vail or Aspen. If the girls are not going to ski/board everyday then they would definitely enjoy the ambiance of the these towns. Nightlife is better in these towns. If you are coming all the way over from the east coast then I would definitely stay in one of these towns rather than shuttle to many different mountains.
yeah the girls are gonna wanna do sledding, tubing, spas and all the other bullshit girls like to do while the men are out with their boards and mother nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3 View Post
to be honest nightlife in the mountains is pretty lame if you are used to anything good. Coming from queens, you are used to nyc, you will think the night life is a joke out here. I came from S. FL and I gave up on night life in the mountains a long time ago. Just pick the resort based on where you want to ski.
we're not too picky. i see where you're coming from but i can thoroughly enjoy just chilling at a small bar drinking a stella and recapping the days adventures.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #13
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

So who here are snowboarders / skiers anyway? I know I am! I am just wondering what kind of group we can get together this winter. I am counting the days till the mountain opens. Where do you guys usually go? I have been meaning to ask you guys because I still haven't bought my passes. I usually just go to Loveland most of the time unless somebody wants to go somewhere else. Lets start a list:

1.Sid / Snowboarding / Loveland
      10-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #14
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
So who here are snowboarders / skiers anyway? I know I am! I am just wondering what kind of group we can get together this winter. I am counting the days till the mountain opens. Where do you guys usually go? I have been meaning to ask you guys because I still haven't bought my passes. I usually just go to Loveland most of the time unless somebody wants to go somewhere else. Lets start a list:

1.Sid / Snowboarding / Loveland
Sid, start a new thread.
      10-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #15
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
joe,

vail or BC is where its at. great fun out there