E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Brake Pad Sensor Reset Problem

06-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Brake Pad Sensor Reset Problem

Hi all,

My brake pad wear sensors are tied back (not connected). I just changed brake pads, but dragged my car with 1 wheel locked (driver's side), triggering the brake pad sensor warning with the car on lift warning symbol on startup. Since my sensor is tied off, I don't believe it's bad.

I scanned the threads and was unable to clear the error code with BOTH my BT tool, and by using the in car service reset method.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384430

When using the BT tool, I can't reset my brake pad service indicator or adjust the wear percentage. It gives an error everytime I try. Is this because I didn't connect the sensor?

When using the in dash method, I was able to reset my rear brakes (now shows 10K miles to next service), but the front brake shows "----" to next service.

Regardless, neither worked and I still have the brake pad wear warning (and the car on lift symbol) everytime i startup.

Thanks for the help!

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
TitanLH8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Did the brake pad sensor warning come on before you had the pads changed?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionredwing View Post
Hi all,

My brake pad wear sensors are tied back (not connected). I just changed brake pads, but dragged my car with 1 wheel locked (driver's side), triggering the brake pad sensor warning with the car on lift warning symbol on startup. Since my sensor is tied off, I don't believe it's bad.

I scanned the threads and was unable to clear the error code with BOTH my BT tool, and by using the in car service reset method.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384430

When using the BT tool, I can't reset my brake pad service indicator or adjust the wear percentage. It gives an error everytime I try. Is this because I didn't connect the sensor?

When using the in dash method, I was able to reset my rear brakes (now shows 10K miles to next service), but the front brake shows "----" to next service.

Regardless, neither worked and I still have the brake pad wear warning (and the car on lift symbol) everytime i startup.

Thanks for the help!
What do you mean by the term "but dragged my car with 1 wheel locked (driver's side)"? The problem with tying back the wear sensors is the CBS expects to measure pad wear with the sensor. The sensor has two loops of wire in it. When the 1st loop breaks, the CBS then has a metric as to what the wear rate of the pads are. Not getting a reading, gets the system out of whack.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionredwing View Post
Hi all,

My brake pad wear sensors are tied back (not connected).
That's your problem. Since brake sensors can't be reused, I suggest you buy NEW sensors CONNECT THEM and reset the CBS.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanLH8 View Post
Did the brake pad sensor warning come on before you had the pads changed?
No sensor warning prior to replacing brake pads. Sensor is connected, but not clipped to the caliper / brake pad or wherever it's supposed to go. Simply tied back. Had no issues for last 2 brake pad / rotor changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
What do you mean by the term "but dragged my car with 1 wheel locked (driver's side)"? The problem with tying back the wear sensors is the CBS expects to measure pad wear with the sensor. The sensor has two loops of wire in it. When the 1st loop breaks, the CBS then has a metric as to what the wear rate of the pads are. Not getting a reading, gets the system out of whack.
I was trying to rotate my tires, but only jacked up one side at a time, so temporarily used a spare rear tire in the front driver's side. Unfortunately, that tire was flat, so when I went to move my car, it dragged / was locked, thus triggering the brake pad warning, even though the sensor was tied back. From other threads, I know that a brake wear warning is triggered if the car is every dragged / if the wheel is locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
That's your problem. Since brake sensors can't be reused, I suggest you buy NEW sensors CONNECT THEM and reset the CBS.
Hmm, maybe I just have to disconnect and reconnect the existing sensor? I see the sensor goes up to a box like thing against the firewall, but I haven't seen a clear pic in the brake change DIYs to see where to disconnect and reconnect that end. Does anyone have a clearer pic?

My next step is to order the cheap sensor replacements from eBay, but was hoping to get rid of the error code without having to do that.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

I wouldn't trust e-bay. What happens if they sell you a faulty sensor? You will never find out the cause of your problem. Pick the sensor up at the dealer, about $25?
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0