E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > DP Fix in, now P0161 and other O2 Shenanigans

09-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #23
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMich_335i View Post
Ha, I was the one who passed with the protune map. There was probably a good 3 months in between my protune and my emissions check but never did anything else. Its starting to sound like I got lucky instead of actually finding a way to beat the system. I had just assumed I was able to pass all monitors except for my cat readiness check and MD allows 1 to fail so I just assumed that was it.
Yea maybe you were able to scheme past the evap monitors...It's just cray cray to me that you passed with a STG2 map, on paper it blocks all of the relevant monitors from reporting anything.

The car gods were on your side

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #24
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
That's what I'm guessing too. Check the paper they gave you to see what the test results were.

OP: If you're going to fail anyway, might as well fail while trying a method that has worked for many others in the past. I would do the following: put Cobb back to stage 2, drive around for a while (at least until 2 of the 3 monitors are ready), then go to emissions. The DP fix sounds like a pain in the ass in your case. Either way, apply for an extension:
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mv.../58000-08T.htm
IIRC if you fail the first time, you get 120 days to figure it out.

So to be honest if I fail tomorrow, it's really not a big deal. Absolute worst case I throw the catted 'pipes back on in a few weeks then go handle it that way.

Just frustrated the DP Fix hates my car lol. I don't mean to make it out to be a huge deal, it's emissions....Such a waste of time for all involved TBH.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #25
2jzn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT

no clue other than the 1 fail not being evap, but cat..

wish i had a simple answer for you but unfortunately all i can say is mess with the dial.. seems like you are confident have it installed right and everything else you are doing is right. mind you once you get it dialed in you'll need a few days to get the monitors ready.

try weakening it before you go home tonight and see if it helps (try 7 or 8 and see if it helps at all).. a lean reading would probably mean the setting is too strong i'd think.. without the cat and no sim the post o2 would read rich

also are you absolutely sure the dp fix is functioning? reaching for answers at this point, though its more than likely just the dial lol.. if not i have a v3 sitting around somewhere i could mail to you.

Last edited by 2jzn54; 09-22-2014 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: garbage
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #26
2jzn54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMich_335i View Post
Ha, I was the one who passed with the protune map. There was probably a good 3 months in between my protune and my emissions check but never did anything else. Its starting to sound like I got lucky instead of actually finding a way to beat the system. I had just assumed I was able to pass all monitors except for my cat readiness check and MD allows 1 to fail so I just assumed that was it.
ok good i'm not losing my mind.. yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #27
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Three View Post
no clue other than the 1 fail not being evap, but cat..

wish i had a simple answer for you but unfortunately all i can say is mess with the dial.. seems like you are confident have it installed right and everything else you are doing is right. mind you once you get it dialed in you'll need a few days to get the monitors ready.

try weakening it before you go home tonight and see if it helps (try 7 or 8 and see if it helps at all).. a lean reading would probably mean the setting is too strong i'd think.. without the cat and no sim the post o2 would read rich

also are you absolutely sure the dp fix is functioning? reaching for answers at this point, though its more than likely just the dial lol.. if not i have a v3 sitting around somewhere i could mail to you.
You're a prince among men sir, appreciate the offer for sure.

I mean...I guess it could be non-working...It's tough to verify. It's "on" in so far as it's set to 4PM.

Interesting thought RE: the lean and mixture codes, perhaps that's what's happening and it's in turn messing with those secondary o2 readings. I was operating on the assumption that any and all cat/lambda related codes = DP Fix being too weak. I've seen some trimming codes when it's set too strong, but I haven't gotten any of those (think it's 21C3 or something like that).

I'll def try weakening it tonight and see what, if anything, that does on the commute home.

The good news is that per MD VEIP's website, if you fail you get a 120 day extension to go fix things. So realistically if I go in and fail in the morning, it's $15 and 4 months to find a solution. Worse things have happened....

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #28
matthawk7
Rep
Drives: na

What dp fix are you running?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 08:29 PM   #29
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthawk7 View Post
What dp fix are you running?
V3, this one

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #30
Bluesun
sudo su -
Rep
Drives: 2018 McLaren 570S Spider

135Pats how did this turn out? Passing emissions in OH is one of my bigger concerns. I really want to do DPs when I do my clutch (hopefully before it snows), but this is exactly what I'm afraid of.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #31
2jzn54
Captain
Rep

i'll tell you now he didn't pass, but its ok.. he has plenty of time to get it all set. i wouldn't be concerned.. he'll get it all dialed in
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #32
2jzn54
Captain
Rep

@135pats i think you just need to mess with the settings.. didn't give yourself enough time to dial it in and i didn't my first time either. nbd sometimes we see the optimistic feedback from some people where they got it right the first time and passed the next day and assume we'll all be so lucky.

and yeah i'm not sure how you'd test the sim without sending it back to you know who, but i do remember installing an nls/2step relay for a buddy spot on and we couldn't get it right for hours.. finally gave up sent it back for testing turned out to be a bum relay. again i doubt its the case (plus you are plugged into the dme not even the harness doubt your car would start properly) but offer is on the table if you need it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #33
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesun View Post
135Pats how did this turn out? Passing emissions in OH is one of my bigger concerns. I really want to do DPs when I do my clutch (hopefully before it snows), but this is exactly what I'm afraid of.
Haven't taken it yet - turns out it's not due until tomorrow. Putting it off as long as is physically possible to experiment lol. But at least in MD, if you fail you get something like a 120 day extension to get it fixed. So truthfully, it's really not a huge deal.

I'm more annoyed than stressed TBH.
Quote:
@135pats i think you just need to mess with the settings.. didn't give yourself enough time to dial it in and i didn't my first time either. nbd sometimes we see the optimistic feedback from some people where they got it right the first time and passed the next day and assume we'll all be so lucky.

and yeah i'm not sure how you'd test the sim without sending it back to you know who, but i do remember installing an nls/2step relay for a buddy spot on and we couldn't get it right for hours.. finally gave up sent it back for testing turned out to be a bum relay. again i doubt its the case (plus you are plugged into the dme not even the harness doubt your car would start properly) but offer is on the table if you need it.
Thanks for the continued feedback.

I certainly agree, starting to think I had it set too strong. The car kept throwing bizarre secondary O2 heater codes along with fuel mixture and occasional lean codes. ONLY the lean codes throw any in-dash SES, so i'm actually starting to think that the DP fix was biasing the voltage too much and the DME is "seeing" a lean condition.

This morning I turned the dial "down" to about 7-8PM, so on the weaker side. Reset fuel and lambda adaptations with the BT cable. I've only driven about 10 miles since, but so far it's "only" throwing the mixture codes. Usually, those O2 codes and the lean codes would pop up very quickly after resetting adaptations.

So i'm going to see how this works. The mixture codes in and of themselves I don't believe would cause an emissions fail, they don't throw an SES and I don't see how they would effect readiness.

I seriously doubt it's broken - as you noted the car would run like an absolute disaster if it wasn't functioning since numerous wires are just hangin out lol.

We'll see I totally agree that the "set it and forget it" scenario is an outlier. This thing needs to be messed with.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #34
2jzn54
Captain
Rep

keep deleting the codes.. might be a pain to get rid of.. iirc i had a similar issue and eventually they just went away.. might have been from setting it too strong. very sound advice i know lol.. what's ironic is we fought the first response and that very well may have been your solution.. what a crap shoot!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #35
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
keep deleting the codes.. might be a pain to get rid of.. iirc i had a similar issue and eventually they just went away.. might have been from setting it too strong. very sound advice i know lol.. what's ironic is we fought the first response and that very well may have been your solution.. what a crap shoot!
Yea we'll see, right now i'm hoping/thinking the DP Fix was set too strong at 6-4PM.

Do you think I should delete the fuel mixture codes - even if nothing else comes up? On their own, they don't throw any in-dash lights, nor do I think they'd have an effect on monitor readiness.

My inclination was to leave it be and let it accumulate miles if those are the only two codes i'm seeing.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #36
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

And yea it is funny that i've literally gone from "DP fix is probably set too weak" to "DP fix is probably set too strong".

The scientific term for this would be "guessing"

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #37
2jzn54
Captain
Rep

i think you should delete them because they could be pending codes.. and again it was just my experience but i do remember it happening a few times and without changing the dial the mixture codes didn't come back.. it was odd i didn't understand it i still don't.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #38
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i think you should delete them because they could be pending codes.. and again it was just my experience but i do remember it happening a few times and without changing the dial the mixture codes didn't come back.. it was odd i didn't understand it i still don't.
These mixture codes Are f'ing me over.

drove about 20 miles before the car threw a lean code. Its bank 2. Car is adding in tons of ltft to bank 2 so clearly it "sees" it as lean.

Thats my issue - in those 20 miles i did not get ANY other codes. So mixture codes and then a lean bank 2 - thats what trips the ses.

Thoughts? Brutal!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #39
2jzn54
Captain
Rep

you already reset adaptations right? i'm at a loss. i still think you gotta drive more... but keep messing with the values.. hell try it off just to see what shows up.. do you have inpa? if so check out the bank 2 injectors. its possible its the o2..

heck even try it at 5:30 again and see what happens.. guess guess and keep guessing. my money is still on the dial, but i'm running out of money.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #40
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you already reset adaptations right? i'm at a loss. i still think you gotta drive more... but keep messing with the values.. hell try it off just to see what shows up.. do you have inpa? if so check out the bank 2 injectors. its possible its the o2..

heck even try it at 5:30 again and see what happens.. guess guess and keep guessing. my money is still on the dial, but i'm running out of money.
Yea I'm starting to think it's just gunna take more time and more pump gas miles to get the trims and mixture nonsense to stop. The DP fix appears to be "working" in so far as I haven't seen any evap or catalyst codes of any sort. And at the current setting I didn't get any O2 heater codes. Just these fuel codes...

I'd believe a bad O2 or injectors, but on the protune map it runs 100% with none of these codes. Fuel is never an issue when I actually run E50.

At this point i've probably put 80 or so total miles on with the DP fix. All the ethanol *should* be out of the tank but perhaps there's just a lag. I'm just gunna fill with more pump gas and drive around a bunch tonight.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #41
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

@steveaz any thoughts on this trim issue in bank 2? I only ask because it's clearly a fuel issue with these mixture codes.

I feel like all the ethanol is out of the tank now, i've probably driven through half a tank of pump gas or so. It refuses to learn down even if I reset lambda and fuel adaptations. Then again, it hasn't been many miles....IDK.

Edit: Sparknotes below

I put in a DP fix for emissions. Flashed to stg0. It keeps throwing fuel mixture codes (no other codes) and a bank 2 lean code which trips the SES. Bank 2 LTFT in particular is pretty jacked at 25-28 under modest load. This is the first time i've run pump gas in a longggggg time. FWIW AFR in bank 2 appears to be OK when I glance at it. I haven't driven the car hard at all since putting the DP fix in.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #42
SteveAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i Cab

@135pats link to the log?
2013 F10--JB4/BM3
2015 F82--Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP & PI--PS2 Turbos-- JB4/BM3-FBO
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #43
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
@135pats link to the log?
I haven't logged it - too scared to go WOT lol.

What would be useful for you to see?

I've been watching Bank 2 LTFTs closely and they dont really budge off 25-28 or so under any type of load. Inevitably, it triggers fuel mixture codes...and then shortly after comes the lean code.

Outside of that the DP fix seems to be working, not a cat code in sight. But for the life of me, I cannot get the DME to calm down and reset it's LTFT behavior. I'd like to think it just takes awhile, but at this point it just keeps throwing the mixture code within a few miles of driving.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #44
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

I can log whatever you need pretty much now. To this point I had just been putzing around on a V400 STG0 Cobb map. There's no way it's an issue from the map being a super old revision from Cobb, right? Nah no way....

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0