E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E92-LCI tail light upgrade/Angel iBrights

04-27-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
E92-LCI tail light upgrade/Angel iBrights

Tail lights- part no’s-
63 21 7251957 - E92 Rear LCi Lamp Left ECE
63 21 7252779 - E92 Rear Bootlid LCi Lamp Left
63 21 7251958 - E92 Rear LCi Lamp Right ECE
63 21 7252780 - E92 Rear Bootlid LCi Lamp Right

Cheapest source:

http://www.bmminiparts.co.uk/

LCI pnp harness -

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=3373

The swopping over of the light clusters is fairly straightforward as there are only three nuts on each of the main rear lights, and one fixing on each of the boot lid lights.
The boot lid lights are a straight swop and utilise the existing wiring, you could save some money by not replacing these as they don’t differ that much from the originals.
The adjustment of the main clusters is trial and error, and its best not to tighten all the nuts in one hit before ensuring the lights sit flush with the bodywork.
I found it easier to hold the clusters flush with the bodywork with one hand whilst tightening the nuts with the other until the light pulled in flush.
The harness from EAS is connected to the main rear lights and then coupled up to the existing wiring.
On starting up for the first time the lights will flicker and the bulb out warning will make itself both seen and heard, as the car will not recognise the LED’s, however the lights will operate perfectly normally.
To eradicate the bulb out warnings a visit to a good independent with Autologic is required and any good operator will disable the bulb check for the rear lights for approx £50.00.
Big thumbs up to Tom at EAS who knows what service is all about and could teach some other Vendors from the forum how to suck eggs!

Angel iBrights
After selling on my ring markers I looked at various other options out there and came across two brands, the Lux H8 V3’s and the Angel’s.
There are two distinct camps out there, one saying the V3’s are the brighter, whilst others claiming the Angels are.
I was erring towards the V3’s in honesty and the difference in price between the two was not that great.
However Tom at EAS certainly knows his stuff, and his write ups, descriptions, overall knowledge and having had a great previous buying experience won the day and I ordered the Angels.

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=2318

Fitting was no different to doing the LED ring markers and if you’ve fitted those or something similar you’ll know that access is not easy, and it can be a pig of a job. The process was relatively easy but made slightly more difficult as you have to fit the ali heat sinks to the backs of the bulbs, apart from that it should take no more than 10 min per side.
Pictures of lights never really convey the story very well, however the iBrights are certainly brighter than ring markers, the brightest out there, I don’t know, but there the brightest I’ve seen.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
TomF32
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW/640d/M-Sport

Garage List
2005 e90  [0.00]
Top class!

Looks brilliant - if I had an e92 this mod would def now be on my list!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
MLAM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 325i Sport Saloon

Great pictures,

Did you order V3 of the iBright's or V4?

Also, did you get stung with any customs charges as I believe EAS are based in the USA?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
cartaa100
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i, 640i, X6M50d, X3M40i

Does the lci swap work on all e92s I heard it's 07 upwards but that maybe wrong, and also is it possible to swap to the lci headlights?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLAM View Post
Great pictures,

Did you order V3 of the iBright's or V4?

Also, did you get stung with any customs charges as I believe EAS are based in the USA?

Thanks
The ibrights are the V3 version,at the time of purchase the V4's were not available.
Yes, EAS are States based, and yes I was hit by custom charges,but I can't remember by how much,sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaa100 View Post
Does the lci swap work on all e92s I heard it's 07 upwards but that maybe wrong, and also is it possible to swap to the lci headlights?

Cheers
My cars a late 08 model and apart from coding (bulbcheck disable) the upgrade worked well.
Older cars may well need the footwell module upgrading to FRM3.

I think the headlight upgrade is possible,however I think it's not just a straight swop as I believe there is a difference in the bonnets from pre LCI to LCI.
I've not looked into it, as there are alternatives available - OSS designs for example
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

nice new wheels Ian? reps or oem?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
nice new wheels Ian? reps or oem?
I thought you'd seen them Jeff?

There about a yr old,not OEM - Alufelgen CS7's (reps)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
looks good!

I don't like the fact you have to disable the bulb check, so if a bulb fails on the rear you'll never know unless stopped or pointed out

Also, I'd LOVE white angel eyes like LCI cars but I don't like how the aftermarket bulbs don't differ in brightness between sidelight and DRL, BMW can make/get bulbs that can (standard) so why can't aftermarket people do them?

I am very picky, and if im upgrading I like things to work how they were intended otherwise for me it's just not worth the bother. Looks great however!