E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What to look out for when buying a used 2009 335?

11-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
DevssrT
Private
Rep
Drives: Jeep SRT 8

What to look out for when buying a used 2009 335?

Hi all,

Well, I have searched around the forum for what to look out for when buying a used 335 and this is what I have come up with so far:

1. Make sure no issues with Fuel Pump (HPFP)
2. No issues with turbos
3. Check for inside wear on rear tires

This is what I have come up with after viewing the responses.

However, are there any more specific ones when considering a 2009 335i Coupe with Xdrive, Navigation, Sport Package, and Cold Weather package?

I have one on my list of Black Friday checkouts at the moment...Looks fantastic in the pictures, Carfax says no accidents, and has 52K on the Odometer...

Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated - coming from a 2006 Jeep SRT8 so not really sure what to look out for with German cars. So any / guidance would be amazing.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Maintenance history must be looked at.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevssrT View Post
Hi all,

Well, I have searched around the forum for what to look out for when buying a used 335 and this is what I have come up with so far:

1. Make sure no issues with Fuel Pump (HPFP)
2. No issues with turbos
3. Check for inside wear on rear tires

This is what I have come up with after viewing the responses.

However, are there any more specific ones when considering a 2009 335i Coupe with Xdrive, Navigation, Sport Package, and Cold Weather package?

I have one on my list of Black Friday checkouts at the moment...Looks fantastic in the pictures, Carfax says no accidents, and has 52K on the Odometer...

Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated - coming from a 2006 Jeep SRT8 so not really sure what to look out for with German cars. So any / guidance would be amazing.

Thanks!
Just did second set of injectors& plugs, radio replacement, hvac fan replacement, steering hoses pump and rack replacement and another bulb on my 2009 335 right at warranty ( booked appt and car came in after warranty for most of that). I would never consider one of these without extensive warranty coverage. NOT a chance. I realize that I may have a bad one but 3 of my friends have had similar experiences including being stranded.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightcashhomie View Post
+1

The 2009 328i I purchased did not have an extensive maintenance report included. Come to find out I had to spend $1,000+ on repairs, shocks, struts, and tint. Still working on it as we speak haha
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i + 2014 X5

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Would I choose a car with remaining warranty available over one without? Yes (true for any car, regardless of make/model/country of origin). But contrary to popular belief, these cars do not explode the day after their warranties expire

As another member pointed out, check service records. Dealerships handing out this information to you in printed form is hit or miss, but at the very least they will be able to tell you about the maintenance and repair history of the vehicle.

Common areas of concern are HPFP (although the most recent parts seem to have fixed this issue for most), Vanos solenoids (a fairly straightforward DIY if you're out of warranty), turbo/wastegate issues (covered until 80+k miles by bmw now) and water pump/thermostat (a ~$1200 dealer visit or $600-800 indy visit). There are also a couple of fairly common oil leaks, including the filter gasket housing which I believe is a $5-600 dealer fix. Things like injectors and coilpacks are simple DIYs if you have a basic knowledge of working on cars.

Routine maintenance on these cars is more costly than you are likely used to. I'd recommend finding a good indy mechanic. A lot of the headaches you read about on here can be fixed easily by a good non-dealership mechanic.

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
andrew_b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 N54

Mechatronic sleeve and transmission oil pan leaks. Early models were known for this issue (not sure when they changed the part), an easy but expensive fix if not covered under warranty.

Just had mine done yesterday (2007 E93 N54, covered under CPO warranty).

here's a thread that helped me diagnose the issue:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500665

2007 E93 N54
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
DevssrT
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightcashhomie View Post
I will def. request to see this as well as another Carfax even though the one online looks clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Just did second set of injectors& plugs, radio replacement, hvac fan replacement, steering hoses pump and rack replacement and another bulb on my 2009 335 right at warranty ( booked appt and car came in after warranty for most of that). I would never consider one of these without extensive warranty coverage. NOT a chance. I realize that I may have a bad one but 3 of my friends have had similar experiences including being stranded.
Second set of injectors and plugs??...Jeez how many miles do you have on it??...I will def. be getting an extended warranty. The vehicle I am looking at has an extended warranty available for up to 100K so that is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GChase View Post
+1

The 2009 328i I purchased did not have an extensive maintenance report included. Come to find out I had to spend $1,000+ on repairs, shocks, struts, and tint. Still working on it as we speak haha
WOW! None of that was covered under warranty???

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
Would I choose a car with remaining warranty available over one without? Yes (true for any car, regardless of make/model/country of origin). But contrary to popular belief, these cars do not explode the day after their warranties expire

As another member pointed out, check service records. Dealerships handing out this information to you in printed form is hit or miss, but at the very least they will be able to tell you about the maintenance and repair history of the vehicle.

Common areas of concern are HPFP (although the most recent parts seem to have fixed this issue for most), Vanos solenoids (a fairly straightforward DIY if you're out of warranty), turbo/wastegate issues (covered until 80+k miles by bmw now) and water pump/thermostat (a ~$1200 dealer visit or $600-800 indy visit). There are also a couple of fairly common oil leaks, including the filter gasket housing which I believe is a $5-600 dealer fix. Things like injectors and coilpacks are simple DIYs if you have a basic knowledge of working on cars.

Routine maintenance on these cars is more costly than you are likely used to. I'd recommend finding a good indy mechanic. A lot of the headaches you read about on here can be fixed easily by a good non-dealership mechanic.
Sounds like you have been through the maintenance issues which are pretty common with the 3-series....I will def. look into the HPFP, and ask for the service records.

I am pretty handy when it comes to cars....I changed my plugs, Engine, Diff, and Tranny oils, installed lower degree thermo, intake, anything that really didnt require a huge lift; You use the term "Indy Mechanic" - what is that exactly? Never heard that term....

THank you very much for your insight - this will all be helpful when coming to a decision - Very sharp looking 328 BTW - like the black on black look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_b View Post
Mechatronic sleeve and transmission oil pan leaks. Early models were known for this issue (not sure when they changed the part), an easy but expensive fix if not covered under warranty.

Just had mine done yesterday (2007 E93 N54, covered under CPO warranty).

here's a thread that helped me diagnose the issue:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500665
Thank you for the link! Will def. look at this!

Thanks again for your help guys and gals!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i + 2014 X5

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Being mechanically inclined definitely helps with these cars. I have always done a majority of my own maintenance and installs that don't involve a lift, which has saved time and money (and given me something to do on the weekends )

My car has had a few of the issues that are common for the N54 (HPFP, Vanos, and oil filter housing gasket), plus a few other minor issues and quirks. All were covered under warranty when they occurred, luckily.

Indy mechanic just means independent mechanic (i.e. not the dealership). Check out the regional forums for some good recommendations in your area.

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
DevssrT
Private
Rep

Quote:
Being mechanically inclined definitely helps with these cars. I have always done a majority of my own maintenance and installs that don't involve a lift, which has saved time and money (and given me something to do on the weekends )

My car has had a few of the issues that are common for the N54 (HPFP, Vanos, and oil filter housing gasket), plus a few other minor issues and quirks. All were covered under warranty when they occurred, luckily.

Indy mechanic just means independent mechanic (i.e. not the dealership). Check out the regional forums for some good recommendations in your area.
Just did! Awesome thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

Quote:

+1

Because your a boss!