E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New 6MT Flexfuel Procede Firmware/Map now available

09-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Smile New 6MT Flexfuel Procede Firmware/Map now available

Hi guys,
Sorry for the delay. I've been traveling a bit lately (in NYC now) but before I left I posted up the new BETA flexfuel firmware and map online HERE. This is the same map and firmware used by our local beta testers. Same map that put down 469whp on joec500's stock turbo non-fbo 6mt e90. Same map used by DMACC and Presideo335i too. This update is only intended for 6MT users with stock turbos. 6AT support is coming next. This update is only for US ROMs.

Here is what is included in the compressed download:

-New Procede map (Flexfuel v2 Beta.pcd)
-New Procede Firmware (flexfuel_v2_firmware.bin)
-I8AOS rom (sample)
-IJEOS rom (sample)
-New Procede User Tuning Interface v5.50

You will have to unzip this folder after you download it.

What you need to know if you want to test this update. Please read the following carefully:

-Only run Map3. This is the Flexfuel map. This is the map that constantly modifies itself based upon ethanol content. The higher e%, the more aggressive the tune gets. When you run straight e85 (80+% ethanol content), the map is more aggressive than anything we have ever released. Lots of ignition advance, full boost in the low end/midrange. Still quite a bit bit of boost taper above 6000rpm as to not overspin the stock turbos. The other maps (0, 1 and 4) are still there and functional but Map3 is the only one that we want to test with this update.

-Flexfuel sensor kit is no longer necessary. This is because the new User Sofware (v5.5) has an user adjustable ethanol content % input. The default value is set to 0%. When set to 0%, the Procede expects input from our flexfuel kit. So for those with our flexfuel kit, leave this value set to 0%. If you don't have our flexfuel kit, you will need to input an ethanol value. If you do not enter a number (and leave it set to 0%) you will trigger a Procede Fault code and the SES light will flash telling you that the Procede is not reading a valid flexfuel sensor signal. If you inadvertently trigger this fault, just change the e% to what it should be and then just reset the Procede (Comms-> Reset Procede).

-We did not supply an XDF file with the patch necessary to create the new back-end flash that is needed to run this update. Instead, we included two sample ROMs (IJEOS and I8AOS). So you will have to use the Difference Tool in Tuner Pro to transfer the defined mapping data from on of the sample ROMs to your ROM file. For more info on how to do this, please watch THIS tutorial video:

If you have another USDM ROM (ie, IJCOS), you can't use the difference tool and will have to copy the data manually. If this is too much work for you, please don't test this beta update and wait until non-beta release were XDFs (with patch) will be available. DO NO try to upload the sample ROM to your ECU.

-The new User Software v5.50 needs to put in your existing Procede folder. Launch this .exe directly from your folder. If don't launch it from this folder, you will get a Windows error. This new User Software has a revised User Adjustable window. This new window has the new entry for "User Defined Ethanol Content."

-Ethanol content is now displayed in the dash when you bump the cruise control stalk upwards. This is the same cruise control stalk gesture used to check current map selection. Ethanol content will be displayed in the speedometer in KPH (ie, 50kph=50% ethanol). For those who don't have a flexfuel sensor, this will obviously just display the value you put in the User Defined Ethanol Content input.

Notes:
PLEASE DO NOT make any changes to ANY of the User Adjustable settings besides, of course, the User Defined Ethanol Content value. When you are running straight pump gas (~5-10% ethanol), your tune will be quite similar in feel to our Stg1 OFT map. This means that you will see 17-18psi @ ~4000rpm and will taper down to just 12-13 up top. It will actually feel quite good. It may be a bit too conservative for those running FBO. For those who are running FBO, I recommend that you refrain from trying to make the map more aggressive for the time being. It would be good if everyone beta tests the same map for now.

If you don't have our Flexfuel sensor kit, please be accurate with the User Defined Ethanol Content input. Do not input a ethanol value higher than your actual ethanol value. This is unsafe and will result in a tune that is too aggressive for your fuel. If anything, it's better to be on the conservative side (enter a value 5% lower than what you think it is). This is good practice since E85 is rarely 85% ethanol. In my experience, it typically ranges anywhere from 70-80%.

If you run Map0 (or with the Procede removed), you will notice that you will see no boost. This is normal and intentional.

Lastly, there will be limited support for this update. It is intended for beta testers who are used to trying new things out and following directions. If this does not apply to you, please refrain from testing. For others, have fun and let me know what you think

Cheers,
shiv
PS: for those who emailed us asking to be on the beta map mailing list and did not get these maps emailed to you, no offense intended. I think I only emailed them out to a few people. They have been tested enough to make their publicly available hence this thread instead.

Last edited by OpenFlash; 09-21-2013 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Whew, I've been waiting for this for months! Thanks for the update. It's great to see it released. I will upload this to my 335xi once I get access to a device. Also, you wrote 369whp. Do you mean 469whp? I was putting down ~400whp on the current maps.

Also, you say the flex fuel hardware is no longer needed. Do you mean that this is not needed if the user specifies ethanol amount specifically, while having the flex fuel kit means the ethanol amount will update automatically?

I am eager to test these maps with the 93 octane we have here.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
Iceberg3232
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Whew, I've been waiting for this for months! Thanks for the update. It's great to see it released. I will upload this to my 335xi once I get access to a device. Also, you wrote 369whp. Do you mean 469whp? I was putting down ~400whp on the current maps.

Also, you say the flex fuel hardware is no longer needed. Do you mean that this is not needed if the user specifies ethanol amount specifically, while having the flex fuel kit means the ethanol amount will update automatically?

I am eager to test these maps with the 93 octane we have here.
Awesome. So I put someone's entire rom file in my DME. I went and did this 4 hours before this post was up. Now I can't write my DME again due to mismatching VIN's. Please advise...
335 XI Coupe/ RB Turbos/ JB4 w/ Wedge Backend / Meth / Inline LPFP / E85 / UUC SSK / Spec2+ SMFW / HPF 7'' IC / Forged DV's / AR DP's / BMS DCI / Apex Arc-8 /Hankook Ventus V12 EVO / KWV1 / HPF Exhaust/ NGK/
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg3232 View Post
Awesome. So I put someone's entire rom file in my DME. I went and did this 4 hours before this post was up. Now I can't write my DME again due to mismatching VIN's. Please advise...
Do you have an INPA cable? If so I can flash you back to stock with the right VIN. Email me WedgePerformance at Gmail.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #5
Iceberg3232
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967
Quote:
Do you have an INPA cable? If so I can flash you back to stock with the right VIN. Email me WedgePerformance at Gmail.
I don't have that cable. I guess I can go buy one but is that the only option?
335 XI Coupe/ RB Turbos/ JB4 w/ Wedge Backend / Meth / Inline LPFP / E85 / UUC SSK / Spec2+ SMFW / HPF 7'' IC / Forged DV's / AR DP's / BMS DCI / Apex Arc-8 /Hankook Ventus V12 EVO / KWV1 / HPF Exhaust/ NGK/
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
I don't have that cable. I guess I can go buy one but is that the only option?
What about repeating exactly what you did. I'm surprised you were able to get the whole new rom on there when your vin's didnt match to begin with. I would try repeating what ever you did to get that (new rom) installed but this time copy your original rom to the slot that you used before to install someone else's rom.

Without the exact info on how you pulled this off to begin with i cant think of a way to fix it. I'm assuming you have an openflash that your trying to fix your vin-mismatch?
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
deathbunny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Can't wait for the 6AT maps! Is it ok to enter 70% when running straight E85 to be safe? Since it will be max 15% difference I assume the dme can adjust for it without problem?

Thanks!
      09-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

What do you mean by will not see boost? Are you talking about the hijacked gauge? It will still run with boost like a normal stage 0 car right?

Is the primary function of this backend flash mainly for fueling? How about AFRs, is that handled by Procede?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
If you run Map0 (or with the Procede removed), you will notice that you will see no boost. This is normal and intentional.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Can anyone confirm what map 1 and 2 are? Are they the auto tuning maps to be run with pump gas?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
What about repeating exactly what you did. I'm surprised you were able to get the whole new rom on there when your vin's didnt match to begin with. I would try repeating what ever you did to get that (new rom) installed but this time copy your original rom to the slot that you used before to install someone else's rom.

Without the exact info on how you pulled this off to begin with i cant think of a way to fix it. I'm assuming you have an openflash that your trying to fix your vin-mismatch?
So to clarify, the bin Shiv posted was loaded on the tablet and flashed which changed the VIN within the DME. Now the tablet doesn't allow write because it doesn't match the VIN stored with the tablet.

@Shiv@Vishnu - You need to add validation logic to the tablet that prevents users from loading a .bin file to the tablet that doesn't match the original VIN.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
So to clarify, the bin Shiv posted was loaded on the tablet and flashed which changed the VIN within the DME. Now the tablet doesn't allow write because it doesn't match the VIN stored with the tablet.

@Shiv@Vishnu - You need to add validation logic to the tablet that prevents users from loading a .bin file to the tablet that doesn't match the original VIN.
I have a feeling the guy used the BT cable to flash and not an open flash. He never responded, which is why i think he didn't use the open flash since he created another thread about the same issue...

It just doesn't make sense. If the open flash prevents you from flashing a bin with the wrong vin how could he have done that to begin with. If the file loaded into the open flash was a different vin it would prevent it from writing the file to the car. It's the same lock that would prevent your original bin from being re-written.

I'm sure shiv can post more info on this, or maybe he's testing it to see what happens. Or maybe he's busy trying to create the AT maps?
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
deathbunny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
I have a feeling the guy used the BT cable to flash and not an open flash. He never responded, which is why i think he didn't use the open flash since he created another thread about the same issue...

It just doesn't make sense. If the open flash prevents you from flashing a bin with the wrong vin how could he have done that to begin with. If the file loaded into the open flash was a different vin it would prevent it from writing the file to the car. It's the same lock that would prevent your original bin from being re-written.

I'm sure shiv can post more info on this, or maybe he's testing it to see what happens. Or maybe he's busy trying to create the AT maps?
Not sure, according to his sig at least he is running a procede OFT stack. I remember reading on here somewhere a warning to NOT flash someone elses maps because the VIN will not match. I can't remember what company this warning came from though.

"2008 335 xi Coupe PROcede V5Rev3 w/ OFT & Flex Fuel/ Trunk Mount Meth Kit/ LPFP Upgrade/ UUC Evo3 SSK/ Spec2+ with SMFW/ CDV delete/ HPF 7'' IC / Forged DV's/ AR DP's / AFE DCI / BBS 19'' Wheels/ Angel Eyes/ KWV1 Coilovers/ HPF Exhaust"
      09-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Time out... Let's rethink your logic. The guy flashed his car and now he can't flash because the VIN on his DME is not the same as the VIN in his table. So what part of this didn't you understand? The OFT doesn't look at the .BIN file to validate the VIN... That probably should be a future fail safe...

if he used a BT cable to flash his car, why would he care about what VIN is on his DME ? The BT cable with BTF doesn't care about the VIN...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Anyone having any issues with copying over the differences from the supplied rom using the difference tool?

I followed the steps in the tutorial, but when I load my new modified bin to my car, it won't start, anyone have a similar experience? Or am I just doing something wrong here?

Any help is much appreciated

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

I had the same issue the other day with IJEOS. I did a backup of the ORG bin and did limited search on defined items. Uploaded the updated map to the car and it would not start. I have validated both files to ensure nothing was missed and no additional changes were applied. Nothing...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #16
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I tried copying the EGT NOx setpoint CAT protection temperature table into my original ROM and tunerpro wouldn't even take the higher temp values of 1100.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #17
DesertDude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
I tried copying the EGT NOx setpoint CAT protection temperature table into my original ROM and tunerpro wouldn't even take the higher temp values of 1100.

I've had similar problems with modifying values where it did not like the values I was using.

It turned out to be incorrect High and Low range values set in the XDF files for specific parameters.

If you go into the edit parameter popup for the parameter you are trying to modify, check the values set for "Use High Range" and "Use Low Range". These values are used as high and low limits for the table. I had to bump some up and some down for different parameters depending on which XDF file I copied the setting from for my own homemade XDF.

Another way to make sure you don't run into this problem is to view the data as HEX values instead of calculated values when copying. Its a bit harder to know what your changing, but the high and low range values are not used when you do this in TunerPro.

I've noticed errors in the XDF files that are currently available that can cause these types of issues. I always make sure I save my new parameter setting and then view them again just to make sure they took.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
TwinE92AW
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 AW e92 335i

6AT soon please!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #19
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Hi guys,
It was brought to my attention that the same IJEOS sample ROM file was giving people trouble when using it to generate a backend flash (with the difference tool). And sure enough, there was some corrupt data in the Torque Monitor Ceiling table. This would cause the not to not start after the flash. I have since corrected the IJEOS sample ROM to solve this. Apologies for the problem in the first place! I have updated the link to Flexfuel V2.1 (from V2.0) to reflect this change. Only the IJEOS sample ROM file has been changed. Everything else is the same.

Link is HERE

Currently working on 6AT maps/firmware. Should be ready for release soon...

Cheers
Shiv
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #20
X.X.I.V
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinE92AW View Post
6AT soon please!!!