E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Cheapest decent BBK setup?

12-10-2012, 03:34 AM   #1
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Cheapest decent BBK setup?

Looking at a front BBK.

The obvious first choice would be AP racing 6 pot, although it's designed for the 335i I believe it will go straight on the 335d am I right? Ian?

http://www.part-box.com/product_info...ducts_id=35666

However. Are there any other kits which are known to be decent with say a 1 at the beginning? £2300 BEFORE fitting is somewhat painful!
      12-10-2012, 04:23 AM   #2
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Yo Dave.

The short answer is no.

I can get the AP fronts for £2200 ish, but that's not much difference. When you start to make enquiries you will hear lines like 'AP make us sell that at that' etc so wether it is BS or not, there is rarely an chance of pushing them down.

I had a flirtation with the PhatBoy Brakes that a member here was selling and would still be tempted by them if I did still have a sizable chunk of cash lying around. They SEEM to be gaining some credibility on Ricer forums, but I am still not 100% convinced I must admit.

I've never found another option although I have looked and looked and looked. Fitting for 'straight fit' brakes is a piece of piss and takes a couple of hours on your driveway. Not saying you would/should do it, but the point is it shouldn't be expensive.

I am interested in any group buy we could possibly arrange, but again like you I would want a 1 at the start of any numbers and I can't see that happening with AP's whilst there are only 2 buyers.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #3
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
I had a flirtation with the PhatBoy Brakes that a member here was selling and would still be tempted by them if I did still have a sizable chunk of cash lying around. They SEEM to be gaining some credibility on Ricer forums, but I am still not 100% convinced I must admit.
It's too late to buy them

BTW bbks from the same part of the world were getting good reviews on m3cutters too.

Forge motorsport are producing various BBKs for our cars but I have read on some VW forums that they are exactly the same in design as the ones from the Far East and are £1145+VAT. Saying that at least you have a decent UK warranty. That was for a 356mm 6pot IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
NJ 1161
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D M3

Lol. You fitted them yet?

I'd recommend the pb brake kits from my experiences. I will be considering a kit for my m3 in the new year.
      12-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #5
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ 1161 View Post
Lol. You fitted them yet?

I'd recommend the pb brake kits from my experiences. I will be considering a kit for my m3 in the new year.
Haven't even refitted the rear axle yet!!! Hopefully will start rebuilding the few days I have off for xmas.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:06 AM   #6
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm not sure I could possibly fit anything called "phat boy" to my car. Especially as one of the most important elements!!!
      12-10-2012, 05:12 AM   #7
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Looking at a front BBK.

The obvious first choice would be AP racing 6 pot, although it's designed for the 335i I believe it will go straight on the 335d am I right? Ian?

http://www.part-box.com/product_info...ducts_id=35666

However. Are there any other kits which are known to be decent with say a 1 at the beginning? £2300 BEFORE fitting is somewhat painful!
You can't have a sentence containing the words/abbreviations 'cheap' and 'BBK',the two are incompatible

As Matt has said AP's are nth of 2k.

The only other alternative that springs to mind is Stoptech,which start with a £1,but is heading towards the Nth Pole!
Plus I'm not sure if there are any UK distributors,so if you have to import,you're looking at whatever the price is +25%,and any warranty would be in the US,so barring any UK based retailers,the price puts you probably back with AP.

I can't say I'd be keen on far east jobbies,but that is very much a personal opinion,bear in mind the BMW's you're driving are mapped/JB4'd/other,and are pushing out a lot of power,plus cost 40Kish new,putting cheap parts on such a car,could well be a false economy.

Please note: The above is a personal opinion,the parts from the far east could well be very good.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:16 AM   #8
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep

You are a lacist Ian!!!

I know we've discussed this subject in PM at some length already. But just seeing other people's opinions before I invariably decide not to bother due to the cost!!
      12-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #9
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

I looked into getting the AP kit fitted but given the fact I'll never take the car any where near a track have now decided its a complete waste of money!!! I wouldn't bother trying to save money on things like brakes, if your going to do it get it done properly.

Why do you want a BBK? I have fitted some EBC yellow stuff pads and braided lines and have to say brake fade is now non-existent and the bite even from cold is very impressive...the downside is the brakes are noisy when cold but it doens't bother me.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

(Flame suit on)

Unless you are tracking the car regularly I don't really see the need for a BBK.

My pagid disc, ss hose, racing blue fluid and cool carbon pad set up is plenty good enough for fast road driving.

If you do go to the track regularly then I definitely see the need. I do see a lot of people who buy bbk's for the look and never go on track though!!!
      12-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #11
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

I can say this.... When I took my E92 to the Ring (running Marcel's old drilled and vented disks, with new cool carbon pads and standard calipers) the brakes were cooked within the first half of the lap.

That said, there is a big difference between 'a few track days' and 'the Nurburgring.' We might all go straight from nothing to Nurburgring, but that doesn't mean we should be. It might be that my setup is perfectly adequate for Croft, or Knockhill. I basically agree with Phil, in that actually for day to day motoring my setup is more than adequate.

It's worth noting that when we went to the 'Ring, the ambient temperature was 38 degrees, so the cars were struggling to cool everything really and IAT's were high.

Anyway, I will be interested to hear your thoughts Idnan. Few others are as well placed to test the PB's in anger as you are and so I expect a full report to benefit the rest of us. On the back of that report, perhaps Dave's or my opinion might change and I am sure a GB of as few as 2-5 units will attract some discounts, when you take into account how hard PB are having to push to break into the UK BMW market and the reknown of this forum.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #12
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

I will definately give them a good test and have plenty of confidence in them. I had postive words from people who have used K-sports which are almost exactly the same. In fact I was hard pushed to find and bad reviews on them, only people writing them off due to their origin.

I actually wasn't in the market for a bbk but since I was changing my rear brakes to m3 spec, I saw the need to upgrade the fronts to maintain balance. I shopped around and decided on the Forge 356mm which was £1450ish and agreed to sell my old setup to Nick on here. It made no sense to buy the Forge setup for that much and not have his front and rear set.

I've spoken to Dan from PB at length and he seems a good guy with loads of faith in his product. My first stage will be to upgrade the standard pads before fitting them so I'm looking at EBC Bluestuff or Ferodo DS2500s all round. Just need to put my car back together first

I bought my RBs when only a handful of people had them on here so the chances I have taken have worked out well for me so far....
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

CA Automotive - stockists for brembo and stoptech

Birds - Alcon
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

You guys need to account what pads you can run them with. Best compare what choices of pads they support.

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #15
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Option a. Stop tech/k sport. Much better for looks. Adequate for road use but do not want.
Option b. New ap. Currently expensive.
Option c. The brembo BMW performance brake set up. Lovely. Think this is around 1 to 1.3k max?
Option d. Get a second have Alcon. Ap. Or other great proven caliper set up. Have then rebuilt and powder coated for aroun 1 to 1.5k max.
Option e. Skip the brake set up and by the Mrs a nice diamond ring. Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #16
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm in for c or d or possibly b if I was tracking regular.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2012, 02:41 AM   #17
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

So guys just read some posts. The PB brakes. And k sport variants. Are they any good on track? Would be awesome if they had been proven in competition as there price point is very agreeable?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 04:17 AM   #18
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
I will definately give them a good test and have plenty of confidence in them. I had postive words from people who have used K-sports which are almost exactly the same. In fact I was hard pushed to find and bad reviews on them, only people writing them off due to their origin.
Guilty as charged I'm afraid,and it was probably a very unfounded and naive remark,so apologies.
The chances are the remark wasn't aimed at me specifically,but nonetheless and in hindsight, it's probably peeps like me that make companies such as PB struggle to get into the UK market place.

Having had a good look (feck knows why?) at what's available,and from whom,it's amazing (or is it?) just how close in price the established players are with their BBK.

With the exception of Brembo,AP,Alcon and Stoptech are £'s apart in some instances, which seems uncannily like some sort of cartel,but I'm sure that's not the case!

The PB brakes look great,warranties are as good and in some cases better than the big boys,and along with the technical support, look like a great buy at the amazing price of £1200 + taxes (380mm - 8 pot front),so it would be good to get some feedback,and as Matt said,a group buy would work out to be very beneficial for some.

PS: I'm not Dan Newton,just so you know

You just have to get past the 'PhatBoy' tag

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 04:33 AM   #19
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

What if...... Say.... Some who was a phat boy actually bought the phat boy brakes.....
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 04:43 AM   #20
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_P View Post
What if...... Say.... Some who was a phat boy actually bought the phat boy brakes.....
Weightwatchers,you can't look like a product fitted to your car.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #21
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Guilty as charged I'm afraid,and it was probably a very unfounded and naive remark,so apologies.
The chances are the remark wasn't aimed at me specifically,but nonetheless and in hindsight, it's probably peeps like me that make companies such as PB struggle to get into the UK market place.

Having had a good look (feck knows why?) at what's available,and from whom,it's amazing (or is it?) just how close in price the established players are with their BBK.

With the exception of Brembo,AP,Alcon and Stoptech are £'s apart in some instances, which seems uncannily like some sort of cartel,but I'm sure that's not the case!

The PB brakes look great,warranties are as good and in some cases better than the big boys,and along with the technical support, look like a great buy at the amazing price of £1200 + taxes (380mm - 8 pot front),so it would be good to get some feedback,and as Matt said,a group buy would work out to be very beneficial for some.

PS: I'm not Dan Newton,just so you know

You just have to get past the 'PhatBoy' tag
No need to apologise, I'm not Dan Newton neither The remark was aimed mainly at responses to reviews I had seen on other forums. Luckily enough the previous owner of mine bought his blank so I don't have any PB logos or similar on there

KSport brakes were used on cars in the Time Attack series a year or two but the series was sponsered by them so I don't think that really shows much.

I've seen a few reviews online and although most of them seem to be on Jap cars, they seem to hold up well on road and track. As mentioned early by myself and others, pad choice is far more important. Luckily the PBs have the pad pattern as AP calipers so the choice is huge. I'm leaning towards EBC Bluestuffs due to cost and the great reviews (in fact I've already bought a set for my unfinished e36 track car).

And for the record I'm a big'un
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #22
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
No need to apologise, I'm not Dan Newton neither The remark was aimed mainly at responses to reviews I had seen on other forums. Luckily enough the previous owner of mine bought his blank so I don't have any PB logos or similar on there

KSport brakes were used on cars in the Time Attack series a year or two but the series was sponsered by them so I don't think that really shows much.

I've seen a few reviews online and although most of them seem to be on Jap cars, they seem to hold up well on road and track. As mentioned early by myself and others, pad choice is far more important. Luckily the PBs have the pad pattern as AP calipers so the choice is huge. I'm leaning towards EBC Bluestuffs due to cost and the great reviews (in fact I've already bought a set for my unfinished e36 track car).

And for the record I'm a big'un

Ahh so the K sport does have some type of proven record. Would be interesting if they were able to promote there brakes based on motorsport usage they would fly out at that price point.

P.S If its any consolation, I am turning into a big un... slowly but surely... lol married life + the food lol.
Appreciate 0