E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > No More Speculating - the next Airstrip Attack is Coming Soon!

11-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #353
Stage 2 Drew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an SRT4 that beats ur 335 :-)

Looks like PERFECT weather for some 60-130 times
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #354
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

I booked a room at SoCal. Considering how far I have to drive, a few extra miles doesn't really matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Are you guys staying at the NorCal or SoCal hotel location?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #355
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i / X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
I booked a room at SoCal. Considering how far I have to drive, a few extra miles doesn't really matter.
There will be a serious bmw party at the socal location...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #356
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

I'm looking forward to having a good time.

If anyone else is driving down on Thursday on I5, shoot me a PM...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #357
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
haha, he still has the one front facing to see me pull away.

BTW, I'm headed out Thursday morning and will be at FFTEC Friday morning. As soon as they get everything wrapped up, I'll be headed down to the hotel for the drivers meeting. Look forward to catching up with everyone then.

I'll try to swing by Friday morning and say hi, have to head over to SFO at 11.
      11-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #358
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage 2 Drew View Post
Looks like PERFECT weather for some 60-130 times
Hope you are right...www.weather.com says 30% chance of rain in Coalinga on Friday
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #359
Stage 2 Drew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an SRT4 that beats ur 335 :-)

it should move through pretty quickly though...by Sat AM...great conditions. weather.com is pretty good when predicting 3-4 days ahead of time. I guess it was a lil early to say 'perfect' conditions over a week out but by wed-thurs the forecast should be spot on.

either way, one of the days it will still be in the 40s til about 10-11am.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #360
cupertinosteve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

A modest proposal ...

Hi Folks,

I would like make a modest proposal.

At first, I was interested in "uniting" the Vishnu community at this event. While inside the BMW world, we "may" see each other as Vishnu, BMS, Cobb ... (name your tuner), but to everyone else ... you're a just a "BMW". While we can race and e-troll each other all we want, it really doesn't help anyone, it doesn't push the community forward in any meaningful way (it just isolates us).

Then I thought about BMW vs. the world. Would that be unifying us or not? Perhaps. But is that meaningful in any way ... no really.

At the end of the day, you are NOT the tune/part you've selected (especially since quite a few of us have tried different vendors out). You are also NOT the car you purchased (cause that can change too)

Then I came to the realization ... there are people who "DO" and people who "DON'T". What I mean by this, is there are people who are doing things ... reading, tweaking, trying things out, reading more and trying more things out (including going to this event) and those who "DON'T" (who live vicariously through others).

Do I care that I'm faster than XYZ car or tune? Not really. Its an interesting data point, but I don't base my self worth on that.

Do I like being around other people who love fast cars and tweaking them to go faster ... ABSOLUTELY.

So I'm going extend a hand to anyone who needs it (need a jack stand, race gas, meth - come find me). I've give you a high-5 if you "beat" me and a pat on the back if I cross the cones ahead of you.

To all those attending (spectators too) have a safe drive and looking forward to meeting you.

cupertinosteve
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #361
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupertinosteve View Post
Hi Folks,

At first, I was interested in "uniting" the Vishnu community at this event. While inside the BMW world, we "may" see each other as Vishnu, BMS, Cobb ... (name your tuner), but to everyone else ... you're a just a "BMW". While we can race and e-troll each other all we want, it really doesn't help anyone, it doesn't push the community forward in any meaningful way (it just isolates us).

Then I thought about BMW vs. the world. Would that be unifying us or not? Perhaps. But is that meaningful in any way ... no really.

At the end of the day, you are NOT the tune/part you've selected (especially since quite a few of us have tried different vendors out). You are also NOT the car you purchased (cause that can change too)

Then I came to the realization ... there are people who "DO" and people who "DON'T". What I mean by this, is there are people who are doing things ... reading, tweaking, trying things out, reading more and trying more things out (including going to this event) and those who "DON'T" (who live vicariously through others).

Do I care that I'm faster than XYZ car or tune? Not really. Its an interesting data point, but I don't base my self worth on that.

Do I like being around other people who love fast cars and tweaking them to go faster ... ABSOLUTELY.

So I'm going extend a hand to anyone who needs it (need a jack stand, race gas, meth - come find me). I've give you a high-5 if you "beat" me and a pat on the back if I cross the cones ahead of you.

To all those attending (spectators too) have a safe drive and looking forward to meeting you.

cupertinosteve
I've already come to the acceptance that at the end of the day, there will always be someone faster. For me, this event isn't about "beating" anyone - it's about having fun, meeting people and having a chance to push my car to the limits safely.
      11-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #362
Vettefish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
I've already come to the acceptance that at the end of the day, there will always be someone faster. For me, this event isn't about "beating" anyone - it's about having fun, meeting people and having a chance to push my car to the limits safely.
You nailed exactly what we aim for. These events are all in fun. A lot of egos will be built up and a lot will be broken. But in the end, it's just a place to run badass cars legally and meet a ton of other enthusiasts who actually run their cars...as opposed to those who spend hours on forums arguing over which wax is better.
1988 BMW E30 - Gutted
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #363
xtyper
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 C63 AMG

Quote:
Hi Folks,

cupertinosteve
Well said, and I couldn't agree more.

I look forward to shaking your hand after I've smoked you.
630whp/735wtq (SAE Dynojet 224)
11.04 @ 130.89 mph (Famoso Raceway 2/1/14)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #364
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

The best place to watch a fast car go down the strip is in the car next to them. Looking forward to seeing some monsters out there!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #365
cupertinosteve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtyper View Post
Well said, and I couldn't agree more.

I look forward to shaking your hand after I've smoked you.
looking forward to it!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #366
EastBayE90
Formerly (-(ellblazer420
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i M/T, 15 F80 M3 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Hi Folks,

cupertinosteve
Very well put. It's all about FUN!
Looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the Single turbo crew. Are any of you guys staying at the nor cal hotel?

(410whp 445ft/lbs | DCI + Meth Only)
OpenFlash OTS Stage 1 Flash | Vishnu PWM Meth Kit | Vishnu DCI| Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #367
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
looking forward to it!
Hey Steve is your set up for the Airstrip the same from when you dyno'd at 573 RWHP?
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #368
xtyper
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Hey Steve is your set up for the Airstrip the same from when you dyno'd at 573 RWHP?
If it is, I'm in big trouble. I'm praying he decides to run an 87 octane map for the event.
630whp/735wtq (SAE Dynojet 224)
11.04 @ 130.89 mph (Famoso Raceway 2/1/14)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #369
SIKH335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [1.00]
Well put Steve! Can't wait to get out there and just run the car. See some beasts and just hang with friends. See everyone soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #370
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

A little this a little of that and a whole lot of

BTW, I picked up two GoPro Hero3 White additions for this event. Figured I would take advantage of the return policy because I really want the Hero3 Black addition, but that doesn't ship until the week after the event. Anyway, I have a wifi remote and suction mounts for both. I'll sync them both to the remote so they turn on at the same time and with the suction mounts I can move them from car to car if anyone wants to get some video and doesn't have a camera. Or if you just want to get more footage of your race, just let me know. Always happy to
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #371
Pourky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i / E46 M3

When you all heading up? Friday night?
      11-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #372
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pourky View Post
When you all heading up? Friday night?
I think I'll be down Friday afternoon, as soon as I'm ready.
      11-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #373
Pourky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i / E46 M3

OK... damn. I the earliest I can head up will be around 8-830.
      11-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #374
cupertinosteve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtyper View Post
If it is, I'm in big trouble. I'm praying he decides to run an 87 octane map for the event.
hehe ... not too many changes, too busy because of work/travel.

I did get a new map for better redline shifting, which feels pretty awesome.

We'll see how it goes.

Any scotch drinkers out there? May need to have a night cap Saturday night.
Appreciate 0