E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vishnu E85 Review

05-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
Presidio335xi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

Vishnu E85 Review

First off this is way over due. Second, I want to apologize ahead of time because, A) I not very technical like most of you, B) I do not have any data logs or dyno numbers at this time. That being said, when I got home tonight my future wife surprised me with a VBOX out of nowhere! So I will be able to gather some great data.

I took my car to fftec last week and had Shiv load the new E85 maps and firmware to my car. This also involved him installing the fuel sensor from Ford that allows the car to know when we are running E85 and what percentage the mix is. As we all know the actual ethanol content is not always 85%. He also did something else to my car that he will disclose at a later date. Sorry for the teaser....

I am hoping to get the car back to fftec tomorrow to meet Shiv and get it on the dyno and get some mapping updates. At that point I will upload all the data everyone here likes to see.

Now, I can say that I have never been one to notice the difference between firmware and map upgrades, but E85 is to the N54 what methanol was a couple years ago. It is AMAZING. Seriously AWESOME.

Shiv changed the maps up a bit. Map 0 is for 91 or 93 octane when you run out of E85. This map is very similar to the current V5 Map 1.

The new Map 1 is for 50/50 (or close to it) mix of E85 and 91 octane. This feels like Map 4 with methonal for all the current V5 users. Except it is smoother. Granted my last update was the 7-29 stage 3 aggressive maps. Please take that from someone who always rolled their eyes when Shiv would update maps and people would post how buttery smooth the new maps are . So the new Map 1 hits 17-18 psi mid range and tapers off up top. I generally shift around 6k rpms anyway.

I don't know what Map 2 and 3 are because he told me not to use them. The new Map 4 is INSANE. That is 50/50 E85 and 91 Oct and Meth. In fact, Map 4 makes so much power my car can't deal with it. Believe it or not that map targets 20 psi midrange and tapers to 16 by redline. Yes I said 20 psi midrange. So whats the problem you may ask? In 3rd and 4th gear the rpms stall around 4k to 5k rpms depending on the pull. I guess that is my clutch slipping or the car coming out of gear??? I really don't know. Once boost drops back to 18 psi the gears seem to reconnect.

Map 4 driving on mountain roads is so great. Meth flows comes on very early and the partial throttle response and power is really good.

At any rate, enough of my rambling. I will gather some data tomorrow and this weekend as I drive to Sacramento (not the strip though). Hopefully I will meet up with Shiv, get the update and dyno the car as well.

Thanks
      05-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Without logs this is nearly pointless. Not busting your balls, but logs will speak volumes.
That 4K RPM stalls is odd, its not the clutch slipping. If the clutch was slipping then it would quickly jump in RPMs but you would not be accelerating. Again, need to logs to make anything out of the stalling.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
Presidio335xi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

I know, I felt guilty about not writing something earlier because I have been busy all week.
      05-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
cupertinosteve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presidio335xi View Post
... I got home tonight my future wife surprised me with a VBOX out of nowhere!
First off ... you chose your mate very well. I see many years of happy tuning in your future. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
F80M
Major
Rep
Drives: M Fap

It would be damn nice if this E85 is easy to find in Socal...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presidio335xi View Post
First off this is way over due. Second, I want to apologize ahead of time because, A) I not very technical like most of you, B) I do not have any data logs or dyno numbers at this time. That being said, when I got home tonight my future wife surprised me with a VBOX out of nowhere! So I will be able to gather some great data.

I took my car to fftec last week and had Shiv load the new E85 maps and firmware to my car. This also involved him installing the fuel sensor from Ford that allows the car to know when we are running E85 and what percentage the mix is. As we all know the actual ethanol content is not always 85%. He also did something else to my car that he will disclose at a later date. Sorry for the teaser....

I am hoping to get the car back to fftec tomorrow to meet Shiv and get it on the dyno and get some mapping updates. At that point I will upload all the data everyone here likes to see.

Now, I can say that I have never been one to notice the difference between firmware and map upgrades, but E85 is to the N54 what methanol was a couple years ago. It is AMAZING. Seriously AWESOME.

Shiv changed the maps up a bit. Map 0 is for 91 or 93 octane when you run out of E85. This map is very similar to the current V5 Map 1.

The new Map 1 is for 50/50 (or close to it) mix of E85 and 91 octane. This feels like Map 4 with methonal for all the current V5 users. Except it is smoother. Granted my last update was the 7-29 stage 3 aggressive maps. Please take that from someone who always rolled their eyes when Shiv would update maps and people would post how buttery smooth the new maps are . So the new Map 1 hits 17-18 psi mid range and tapers off up top. I generally shift around 6k rpms anyway.

I don't know what Map 2 and 3 are because he told me not to use them. The new Map 4 is INSANE. That is 50/50 E85 and 91 Oct and Meth. In fact, Map 4 makes so much power my car can't deal with it. Believe it or not that map targets 20 psi midrange and tapers to 16 by redline. Yes I said 20 psi midrange. So whats the problem you may ask? In 3rd and 4th gear the rpms stall around 4k to 5k rpms depending on the pull. I guess that is my clutch slipping or the car coming out of gear??? I really don't know. Once boost drops back to 18 psi the gears seem to reconnect.

Map 4 driving on mountain roads is so great. Meth flows comes on very early and the partial throttle response and power is really good.

At any rate, enough of my rambling. I will gather some data tomorrow and this weekend as I drive to Sacramento (not the strip though). Hopefully I will meet up with Shiv, get the update and dyno the car as well.

Thanks
My guess is he reflashed the fuel tables. Same reason why people have to drive there car up to fftec to be personally tuned by shiv instead of just loading up a single turbo map at home from your laptop. E85 is awesome stuff though. Will look forward to seeing how he installed the flex fuel sensor.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
amclint
boom
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Vbox is awesome, and so is E85! Find a back road somewhere and see what you can get for 0-60, 0-100, etc, you would be the first 335xi 6 MT to put up vbox numbers as far as I know.

Doing a 1/4 mile run with the vbox is a bit harder, and usually requires finding a bit of straight road with little to know elevation drop that also happens to be empty at night. I hardly ever do these anymore because it's a bit of a hassle, sometimes even more so than 60-130.

Good luck and have fun, vbox is an awesome tool.

Last edited by amclint; 05-25-2012 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Please provide data for 91+e85 without meth. That's what interests me.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Wonder if there is enough injector/pump overhead to run straight e85....
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
R1000K3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
Wonder if there is enough injector/pump overhead to run straight e85....
It depends in your base power level with fuel. What are the mods and power now?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
Without logs this is nearly pointless. Not busting your balls, but logs will speak volumes.
That 4K RPM stalls is odd, its not the clutch slipping. If the clutch was slipping then it would quickly jump in RPMs but you would not be accelerating. Again, need to logs to make anything out of the stalling.

The rpm "stall" he is referring to comes after the clutch had already slipped and is now hovering in place allowing for the rest of the drivetrain to catch up.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
The rpm "stall" he is referring to comes after the clutch had already slipped and is now hovering in place allowing for the rest of the drivetrain to catch up.
Could be, I haven't had my clutch go on this car yet. The last time I had a clutch slipping it revved quite a bit higher than 4K or 5Krpms. Different platform so different symptoms I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

need logs!
Appreciate 0