E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Brake caliper servicing

05-13-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Brake caliper servicing

Anyone serviced their standard calipers?

i.e. strip and grease the sliders?

Mine N/S/R rear is sticking on its guides and getting v hot, but only really in the rain when the brake drying function pulses the brakes, making it worse.

BMW sell caliper 'guide repair kits':

Rear item 8: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...76&hg=34&fg=10

Front item 4: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...57&hg=34&fg=05

Thought I'd do all 4 while I was at it.

Any experience with this job?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 M340i

Did mine a few weeks ago and found it pretty straightforward. I was able to retract the piston by gently prising with a screwdriver between the sliding part of the caliper and the disc. There's an allen head in the guide pins that's the standard brake size (7mm IIRC) - worth having a socket and ratchet handy as there's not a huge amount of clearance. I was able to rest the top of the caliper on a big paint can at the back of the wheel arch whilst I cleaned everything up.

Also worth picking up some Mintex Ceratec ceramic grease from eBay or similar (about £4 for a good-sized tube). Much less messy than copper grease and theoretically better for the braking system.

EDIT: Actually, I haven't done the specific repair you're looking at. I didn't notice how easy the slide bushes would be to remove, but it's straightforward to take the caliper carrier off once you've taken off the sliding part so I can't imagine it's too hard.
      05-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Great - thanks!

TBH I'm sure the guides are OK, just need greasing like you say, I've probably cooked them on a trackday last weekend.

I give them a clean / grease and if the problem persists I'll get the guide repair kits.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

I had the same problem with one of my front calipers when I had standard brakes.

Each slider has the space for an allen key at the top to remove them. I just removed the slider, cleaned them up and used some mintex ceratec or similar to lube them.

The repair kit is just a replacement rubber boot and cap on the end. I think I had to use some very fine grade sandpaper to remove some of the crap on the slider.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Cheers idnan, I'll give that a go.

I've already got copper brake grease, so I'll use that, its good stuff, just got to use it sparingly else everything ends up orange.

Plenty of disposable gloves borrowed from work...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 03:16 AM   #6
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

I was told not to use copper grease on sliders as it isn't actually a lubricant, just an antiseize compound. Red rubber grease is the best stuff to use as it won't cause wear on the sliders like copper slip. Supposedly copper grease also hardens and can cause the slider to stick.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Ok, damn, more stuff required.

Is that ceratec stuff suitable then?

Halfords don't do either...

Ok - updated - pot of FUCHS RENOLIT ordered from opie..... tomorrow am delivery.

Last edited by doughboy; 05-14-2013 at 04:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Cheers guys.

All done.

I stripped and cleaned all 4 calipers, the slide action was really stiff and the guides were all streaked black and totally dry. A little emery cloth cleaned them up lovely.

All calipers and pads wire brushed and rinsed off with 2 cans of brake cleaner.

Used Fusch Renolit Red rubber Grease on all the guides (packed into the grease grooves with a cotton bud)

A little Coppaslip on pad contacts points.

Calipers slide beautifully now.

Pity I broke the front pad wear sensor, so I've tied it out of the way, to be replaced next time....
Appreciate 0