E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > How to code out E-Diff to turn DTC completely off?

09-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #23
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think my car uses a different file than you guys with n54 335is do. It is a 2014 E84 X1 35i M sport with N55 engine.

My XDSC module uses DSC_84.C04

The relevant settings are:

E84_FLR - Engine power Reduction (prevent brake disc overheating by reducing engine power) - nicht_aktiv

E84_AX_REF_Diff_Lock - nicht_aktiv

There is also E84_FDB (Dynamic Performance Control) which has to do with corner braking. This is set to aktiv but I will try disabling for my next track day.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #24
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Thanks for the help. Just read out my module and it's MK60_87 C0F. The functions are there, C0F_DIFF_LOCK and C0F_FLR but of course they're not simple "aktiv-nicht_aktiv" but wert values 00,01,02 for each. Time to dig more.
      09-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #25
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Poking around in the DSC Module I think we are seriously on to some good stuff here. I haven't seen anyone really mess around with this, and on the track this platform could be significantly better with modifications to some of these settings. For example:

E84_HBA - Hydraulic Brake Assist
E84_EVB - Brake Standby (reduce brake delay by lightly applying the brakes for when they might be required)
E84_HPS - Brake Fading Compensation (maintains pedal feel by gradually increasing braking pressure)
E84_Maximum Brake Support

From my research, each of the above values would be detrimental to performance driving on the track. In fact, some of these can be a pretty big deal. The brake fade compensation would make consistent braking nearly impossible, and the brake standby feature could explain why so many feel knockback on this platform despite solid wheel bearings. It's not real pad knockback - it's just that sometimes the system pre-tensions the brakes and other times it does not.

I would like more info about these parameters, which I cannot find explanations for:

E84_BSW_HO
E84_VCH
E84_DCDC
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 08:28 PM   #26
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
I think my car uses a different file than you guys with n54 335is do. It is a 2014 E84 X1 35i M sport with N55 engine.

My XDSC module uses DSC_84.C04

The relevant settings are:

E84_FLR - Engine power Reduction (prevent brake disc overheating by reducing engine power) - nicht_aktiv

E84_AX_REF_Diff_Lock - nicht_aktiv

There is also E84_FDB (Dynamic Performance Control) which has to do with corner braking. This is set to aktiv but I will try disabling for my next track day.

Thanks for setting it up and taking the time to check. Are those the only two that were changed for sure? Those are the exact two I had a suspicion about so I'm glad to hear it.

PS. Tracking an X1 is pretty badass!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 08:40 PM   #27
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Thanks for the help. Just read out my module and it's MK60_87 C0F. The functions are there, C0F_DIFF_LOCK and C0F_FLR but of course they're not simple "aktiv-nicht_aktiv" but wert values 00,01,02 for each. Time to dig more.
See my previous post. The wert_00 and wert_02 values have the same hex data value, but wert_01 is set to 01. Most other values like nicht_aktiv and other "off" functions also correspond to hex data of 01. I'm fairly certain that setting ours to wert_01 is the same as nicht_aktiv because of this. I set mine from wert_00 and wert_02 to wert_01. No errors or anything.

paradoxical3, could you send me your TRC file for your DSC module? I'd like to load it up in NCS Dummy and see what hex data values are there for your options of setting FLR/Diff_Lock to nicht_aktiv.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #28
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
See my previous post. The wert_00 and wert_02 values have the same hex data value, but wert_01 is set to 01. Most other values like nicht_aktiv and other "off" functions also correspond to hex data of 01. I'm fairly certain that setting ours to wert_01 is the same as nicht_aktiv because of this. I set mine from wert_00 and wert_02 to wert_01. No errors or anything.

paradoxical3, could you send me your TRC file for your DSC module? I'd like to load it up in NCS Dummy and see what hex data values are there for your options of setting FLR/Diff_Lock to nicht_aktiv.
I saw it. I'm gonna give it a try as well.
      09-05-2015, 08:54 PM   #29
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Here is my TRC file, ignore that the diff lock is set to aktiv, i pulled this one while switching that back and forth to confirm coding really was working.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18682/FSW_PSW.TRC

I have a good time with my X1. It has a stoptech BBK, JRZ RS Two suspension, pure turbo, wavetrac lsd, full m3 bushing and sway bar swap, etc, etc. It surprises a lot of people. If I could just get these stupid electronic nannies to stop cutting my power it would be even better.

I am really happy to find a few other people who are interested in figuring out how to code all of this BS off, it seems like there are not that many of us who push the car hard enough on the track to actually trigger these systems.
Appreciate 3
Arthuar11.50
      09-06-2015, 12:15 AM   #30
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Here is my TRC file, ignore that the diff lock is set to aktiv, i pulled this one while switching that back and forth to confirm coding really was working.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18682/FSW_PSW.TRC

I have a good time with my X1. It has a stoptech BBK, JRZ RS Two suspension, pure turbo, wavetrac lsd, full m3 bushing and sway bar swap, etc, etc. It surprises a lot of people. If I could just get these stupid electronic nannies to stop cutting my power it would be even better.

I am really happy to find a few other people who are interested in figuring out how to code all of this BS off, it seems like there are not that many of us who push the car hard enough on the track to actually trigger these systems.
Confirmed that your Diff Lock nicht_aktiv is set to a hex data of 00. So any of us MKE87 DSC daten guys need to set it to a wert_xx that has a hex data of 00. The Brake Temp setting needs to be set to wert_01 with a hex data of 01.
I haven't been able to test these changes though, but theoretically this should do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 10:32 PM   #31
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Confirmed that your Diff Lock nicht_aktiv is set to a hex data of 00. So any of us MKE87 DSC daten guys need to set it to a wert_xx that has a hex data of 00. The Brake Temp setting needs to be set to wert_01 with a hex data of 01.
I haven't been able to test these changes though, but theoretically this should do it.
Any success with disabling ediff?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 02:47 PM   #32
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
Any success with disabling ediff?
I just got my LSD installed last night. Once it's broken in, I will attempt some donuts/drifts to see if it still cuts out/overheats the rear pads.

FWIW, I was at the track two weeks ago with the coding already performed and the car never hit limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #33
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I just got my LSD installed last night. Once it's broken in, I will attempt some donuts/drifts to see if it still cuts out/overheats the rear pads.

FWIW, I was at the track two weeks ago with the coding already performed and the car never hit limp mode.
I don't track my car but with spirited driving i get power reduction I'm guessing via the brakes with DSC dtc completely off. This is with a quaife diff installed. So wheel spin is almost non existent and a definite power reduction launching in 1st gear. Does the coding resolve this for you or is your issue mostly limp mode due to overheating the brakes? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #34
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Your problem sounds like it has multiple possible causes:

1) Limp mode during spirited driving can be due to overheating the engine oil. How are your oil temps, do you have an oil cooler?

2) It can go into limp mode due to rear pads overheating with E-Diff activation to optimize traction (hard to produce this on the street, in my opinion). This would produce a 3100 code and another code for DTC related faults as per the previous posts here (rear brake pads overheating, reduce power).

On a street driven card, it would be extremely difficult to trigger limp mode with #2 unless you're drifting hard and doing donuts, lol. I think your problems lie in the oil temps unless you know for sure that they're not spiking beyond 280F
Appreciate 2
6ixSpd6011.50
      09-29-2015, 06:20 PM   #35
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

1) Limp mode during spirited driving can be due to overheating the engine oil. How are your oil temps, do you have an oil cooler?

2) It can go into limp mode due to rear pads overheating with E-Diff activation to optimize traction (hard to produce this on the street, in my opinion). This would produce a 3100 code and another code for DTC related faults as per the previous posts here (rear brake pads overheating, reduce power).

On a street driven card, it would be extremely difficult to trigger limp mode with #2 unless you're drifting hard and doing donuts, lol. I think your problems lie in the oil temps unless you know for sure that they're not spiking beyond 280F
My oil Temps don't go above 250° even on the hottest days even with stock intercooler, jb4 e85 flash, dps and intake. I don't ever trigger a limp mode or get codes per say. Last year I could spin my tires all the way up to 40mph from a launch, drift, corner agressively with no traction intervention what so ever. I mean complete free reign with DSC & dtc off.

I then got a software update which included the dsc module. The dsc light changed on the instrument panel too. Every since then I could not turn off traction intervention. BMW checked my car and the system performs correctly to them. Apparently, the latest update added ediff which I didn't have before. They tell me you can't completely turn everything off anymore. The car drives great and a lot safer by keeping me on the path but doesn't let me spin out of control anymore like a wild beast. My 0-60 suffered but cornering is actually good and more controlled. Again, no limp mode just maybe brakes applied while still powering forward. The car transfers as much power to the other wheel as possible before intervening. I've driven even 2014 328, 2015 435i etc. They all behave the same. They will allow as much power possible to the ground. If slippage is approaching, then a reduction in speed follows to keep car on the intended path.

Have you had that problem? My suspension is a little stiffer than stock too with my upgrades.

Last edited by brakthru; 09-29-2015 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #36
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I probably never got the limp mode due to not tracking the car or driving it hard long enough to heat up the brakes to that degree.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 07:19 PM   #37
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
My oil Temps don't go above 250° even on the hottest days even with stock intercooler, jb4 e85 flash, dps and intake. I don't ever trigger a limp mode or get codes per say. Last year I could spin my tires all the way up to 40mph from a launch, drift, corner agressively with no traction intervention what so ever. I mean complete free reign with DSC & dtc off.

I then got a software update which included the dsc module. The dsc light changed on the instrument panel too. Every since then I could not turn off traction intervention. BMW checked my car and the system performs correctly to them. Apparently, the latest update added ediff which I didn't have before. They tell me you can't completely turn everything off anymore. The car drives great and a lot safer by keeping me on the path but doesn't let me spin out of control anymore like a wild beast. My 0-60 suffered but cornering is actually good and more controlled. Again, no limp mode just maybe brakes applied while still powering forward. The car transfers as much power to the other wheel as possible before intervening. I've driven even 2014 328, 2015 435i etc. They all behave the same. They will allow as much power possible to the ground. If slippage is approaching, then a reduction in speed follows to keep car on the intended path.

Have you had that problem? My suspension is a little stiffer than stock too with my upgrades.
What year is your car? I'm guessing pre-2009? Sounds like they gave you the newer firmware so you no longer have one-tire fires. The E-Diff is actually a decent software gimmick for street driven cars and does a fairly decent job, just not for track-use or drifting.

My car has e-diff as I've seen it in my DSC module's parameters, and experienced it a few times when gong sideways in a turn where the power is cut-off to straighten the car out. The main reason I wanted to code it out was to prevent overheating rear pads during track use, and to do some drifts/donuts every now and then
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #38
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What year is your car? I'm guessing pre-2009? Sounds like they gave you the newer firmware so you no longer have one-tire fires. The E-Diff is actually a decent software gimmick for street driven cars and does a fairly decent job, just not for track-use or drifting.

My car has e-diff as I've seen it in my DSC module's parameters, and experienced it a few times when gong sideways in a turn where the power is cut-off to straighten the car out. The main reason I wanted to code it out was to prevent overheating rear pads during track use, and to do some drifts/donuts every now and then
Yeah. It's a 2007 but you wouldn't recognize it with the lci msport conversion, LCI/OSS lights and other exterior mods. What a car! Still looking relevant with the newer models. As you can see, I'm loving it.
Honestly, I'd like to learn coding so I can revert back and forth from ediff when I want. It has good benefits like you said but maybe not on a track.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 09:21 PM   #39
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Do you think my dsc module has the same coding values as yours? I'm planning on buying a new pc and loading the coding software. Hopefully, it's not too difficult.
BTW, Im looking forward to some power slides too. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 12:22 AM   #40
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Hey man,

How did the testing go with the new LSD and e-diff coded off? Are you able to tell if it worked? If so, please confirm if these changes worked. Diff lock: wert 00=nicht_aktiv. and Brake Temp Setting:wert 01=nicht_aktiv. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 01:30 AM   #41
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

I am also very keen to see the results.

I have installed an aggressive mechanical LSD in my 128i which is a competitive autocross car and I find under aggressive lsd type situations where I am still getting lots of wheelspin, the car is doing some crazy things in the back which I am fairly sure is the e-diff still trying to intervene.

Coding it off would be a huge improvement so I am subscribing to this hoping for a bit of good news!

Mark
      10-31-2015, 12:08 AM   #42
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It absolutely worked with my car. Have several track days on it flawlessly.

Zero power cuts where they used to come on every single time within a lap. Even with xdrive and a mechanical LSD I can kick the back end out and get some serious slip around corners at WOT and it doesn't cut the power.

Super fun.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #43
rich123321
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90

Garage List
2015 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
It absolutely worked with my car. Have several track days on it flawlessly.

Zero power cuts where they used to come on every single time within a lap. Even with xdrive and a mechanical LSD I can kick the back end out and get some serious slip around corners at WOT and it doesn't cut the power.

Super fun.
So people without an upgraded LSD would have no benefit from this coding?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #44
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

I suspect it will actually be worse than factory with this coding.

Mark
Appreciate 0