E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > strut/shock mounts going bad?

11-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Xdrive

strut/shock mounts going bad?

So i had kw coilovers, the front struts blew, i got them replaced and sold the set. I got the eibach pro system (dampers and pro kit springs) and they have been great for the last 6 or 7 months, but now the ride has all of a sudden in the past 2 weeks become bone jarringly harsh. It was stiff, but still compliant but something has changed. I thought maybe the struts blew again, but using the bouncy test, the struts do not seem blown at all. I was wondering if maybe it was the strut/shock mounts? I ordered a set of new front strut/shock mounts and am planning on having them installed to see if the problem goes away or if it is the strut assembly itself that is blown. If it does turn out to be the struts, i have a set of fresh stock sport struts and my stock springs i am thinking about putting back on with sp lowering perches.

Has anyone else had issues with the stock strut mounts?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
I've had issues with mine making noise on rough roads (thumping, rubbery clunking).
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I'm also getting alot more rattles a couple weeks after a KW install. I know my control arm bushings are due so I'm hoping its that.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Is there a clunking when you hit bumps and could you be mistaking the clunking for harsh impact? Maybe the sway bar end links or the sway bar bushings.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Is there a clunking when you hit bumps and could you be mistaking the clunking for harsh impact? Maybe the sway bar end links or the sway bar bushings.
no clunking over bumps, but it does clunk randomly sometimes (usually when im not going bumps and am doing parking lot speeds). I have fresh endlinks going on asap too lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

My front strut mounts were gone at 75K mls. I replaced them with a revised part required by Tischer when ordering the old Performance Pkg suspension. When I had them out of the car, I found the bearings in both shot, one mount won't rotate at all by hand, the other jerkerly. The steering was definitely more fluid afterwards.

Soon after I installed the new mounts, I installed the SP lowering perches. When I did, I found that the pre-installed grease had migrated down into the retaining cup and left the top of the bearing exposed. I added, and pushed thru a bunch more bearing grease from the bottom (difficult to get to the top) so that the top of the bearing was covered.

I suggest doing the same before reinstalling the old or new mounts.

Last edited by AlanAZ; 11-18-2012 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

What should the strut mounts be torqued to?
When installing my kw's, I tightened them all I could but then they wouldn't spin freely. So I backed off on them just enough to where they spun free.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Novemberr
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Do you have sport package on your E90 325i? What parts are needed to be upgraded in order to match with the old Performance Pkg suspension?

Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ View Post
My front strut mounts were gone at 75K mls. I replaced them with a revised part required by Tischer when ordering the old Performance Pkg suspension. When I had them out of the car, I found the bearings in both shot, one mount won't rotate at all by hand, the other jerkerly. The steering was definitely more fluid afterwards.

Soon after I installed the new mounts, I installed the SP lowering perches. When I did, I found that the pre-installed grease had migrated down into the retaining cup and left the top of the bearing exposed. I added, and pushed thru a bunch more bearing grease from the bottom (difficult to get to the top) so that the top of the bearing was covered.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
What should the strut mounts be torqued to?
When installing my kw's, I tightened them all I could but then they wouldn't spin freely. So I backed off on them just enough to where they spun free.
I did the same for my AST's. Overtightening will cause them to make noise. A few people claim that it's close to impossible to overtighten them, even with an impact wrench. Sadly, that's not true. It's extremely easy to overtighten them.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ

This very true usually the cause of clunking on suspensions is a shot upper mounts, to tight, or just plain old improper install. I have had plenty of experience on suspension installs with many different cars and usually all these noises share the same problems due to the following not followed.

1. Performance suspension require a different upper mount which also should be used with coilover systems no matter what
2. Always research torque specs, it's there for a reason
3. Try to replace all suspension parts when upgrading to coils or shock n spring combos
A. Bushings
B. upper mounts n components

4. Get an alignment
5. If you drop your car too low expect early wear on suspension component
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoy328I View Post
This very true usually the cause of clunking on suspensions is a shot upper mounts, to tight, or just plain old improper install. I have had plenty of experience on suspension installs with many different cars and usually all these noises share the same problems due to the following not followed.

1. Performance suspension require a different upper mount which also should be used with coilover systems no matter what
2. Always research torque specs, it's there for a reason
3. Try to replace all suspension parts when upgrading to coils or shock n spring combos
A. Bushings
B. upper mounts n components

4. Get an alignment
5. If you drop your car too low expect early wear on suspension component
Got a part number for the different upper mount? Didn't see it on realoem
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #13
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novemberr View Post
Do you have sport package on your E90 325i? What parts are needed to be upgraded in order to match with the old Performance Pkg suspension?
Yes, Sport pkg, early 06. Parts were "31-30-6-775-098 Guide Support".

From a forum post by Tischer for the Performance suspension: "Vehicles up to 6/2006 with sports suspension - require new guide supports"

Last edited by AlanAZ; 11-20-2012 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks, I plan on replacing them soon.
Considered camber plates as an alternative but didn't want to risk additional noise.
Appreciate 0