E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Buying BMW Can. vs USA

09-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #23
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335xi, 08 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregarious View Post
The warranty should be honored, but I would get some clarification on that point. Also, not sure how the “free maintenance included" stuff would work. In my case, if I get my US car serviced in Cda for a scheduled oil change, I pay, but my dealer in the US reimburses me for it. Should call a US and CDA dealer to hear what they say to play it safe. Always best to get informed and just play it straight.

If you can manage a cash deal, the exchange looks good, and you live near a US BMW dealer, buying in the US might be a good option. But is it worth the hassle?
I used to figure it was not worth the hassle when the Cdn was worth US$0.85. Now at parity, things change DRAMATICALLY.

Here's what I'm considering:

E92 335i Sport, 19", PDC, Premium, Cold Weather (incl as std in Canada), USB, Comf Acc., Bluetooth (extra in Canada, incl in PP in US)

US Price including destination charge before taxes and duties: US$48.7k

Cdn Price including destination charge before taxes: Cdn$63.6k

Now, I assume I will get a 4% discount on the Canadian vehicle and 0% on the US (not sure if the latter will be the case, but I'm being conservative). Second, I'll apply duties and taxes to vehicles as relevant. What I will not factor in are some of the fees that would be required in the customizing for Canada process.

All in (excluding import/customization fees, but including duties and taxes)

US vehicle into Ontario: $59k

Cdn vehicle: $70k

The difference between the two of about $11k is huge. Assuming that other costs amount to $1-2k, the savings is still substantial. I'd say well worth the hassle given the state of the currencies today.

Let me know if I've missed anything here.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 03:33 PM   #24
seifufu
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus View Post
I used to figure it was not worth the hassle when the Cdn was worth US$0.85. Now at parity, things change DRAMATICALLY.

Here's what I'm considering:

E92 335i Sport, 19", PDC, Premium, Cold Weather (incl as std in Canada), USB, Comf Acc., Bluetooth (extra in Canada, incl in PP in US)

US Price including destination charge before taxes and duties: US$48.7k

Cdn Price including destination charge before taxes: Cdn$63.6k

Now, I assume I will get a 4% discount on the Canadian vehicle and 0% on the US (not sure if the latter will be the case, but I'm being conservative). Second, I'll apply duties and taxes to vehicles as relevant. What I will not factor in are some of the fees that would be required in the customizing for Canada process.

All in (excluding import/customization fees, but including duties and taxes)

US vehicle into Ontario: $59k

Cdn vehicle: $70k

The difference between the two of about $11k is huge. Assuming that other costs amount to $1-2k, the savings is still substantial. I'd say well worth the hassle given the state of the currencies today.

Let me know if I've missed anything here.

+1 .. even if the savings is only a few grand.. i think it's worth the work.....even if it takes a full week of work.. ... i think of it this way: i am not making a few grand a week, so if it takes me 1 week of work to save a few grand, then it's worth it..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 12:59 PM   #25
flush01
Major
Rep
Drives: 33m@%#ing5

i got a question, can you change car computer from miles to km's ?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 02:06 PM   #26
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

A US dealer can loose their franchise if they knowingly sell a car for the Canadien market.Unless you have a SS # and a legal address,I don't think it can be done.
Appreciate 0