E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2006 325XI servicing questions

12-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
2006 325XI servicing questions

My friend owns a 2006 E90 325XI with 104k miles. Her car has the N52 and auto transmission. I have been doing the oil changes on it, but I think it is time for a transmission fluid change. I'd also like to change the diffs and X-drive transfer case as well.

What fluids are recommended for the diffs/T-case?

What fluid is recommended for the transmission, and how do I find what transmission this car has? From my research it seems the 325's can have either the GM or the ZF transmission. We put the VIN into an online decoder and the transmission was listed as "unknown".

Anything else that should be done as preventative at this mileage? So far the car has had the water pump, T-stat, and starter replaced.

I'm new to BMWs. I come from the Jeep world and have more mechanical experience with those (cylinder head swaps, lifts, drive train mods, etc). Another friend owns an e46 330i ZHP. Both of these cars have impressed me with their build quality. I might be looking for one soon as a daily.

Thanks for any help!

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #2
rockflageagle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Just replaced the following at 100k:

Engine Oil: BMW 5W-30
Front and Rear Diff: Redline 75W-90
Transfer Case: BMW transfer case fluid (no exceptions. also the long bolt mounting the transfer case was a huge PITA to get out and put back in. have fun.)
Brake Fluid: ATE 200
Power Steering Fluid: CHF 11S (may vary based on your year)
Power steering reservoir: OEM (was leaking)
Coolant: BMW OEM
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
On the transmission there should be a sticker i believe that will tell you the kind it is. The color of the sticker means something. You'll need to get under the car and take a look at the transmission.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 06:03 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I suggest you buy a Bentley service manual, it will answer any service question you have. At 104,000 miles the transmission(s) lube, diffs lube, coolant, and spark plugs need to be refreshed.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 06:04 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I suggest you buy a Bentley service manual, it will answer any service question you have. At 104,000 miles the transmission(s) lube, diffs lube, coolant, and spark plugs need to be refreshed.

A website called realOEM.com will help you get the correct part numbers.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 07:38 AM   #6
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

A website called realOEM.com will help you get the correct part numbers.
Thanks, I plan on doing all of that as well as the belt and tensioner on this car.

The coolant is fairly new since the car recently had the waterpump and t-stat done.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0