E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil Change.... What has your service advisor said?

03-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #23
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Plus it lets BMW know how much you been abusing the car, it rats you out and when you try and say, "But I drive it like my grandmother" they know better.
and what are they going to do if you drive like a crazy? absolutly nothing but fix your car

ill have to check what mine says since i have driven pretty hard since day one
      03-23-2007, 12:22 PM   #24
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew20195 View Post
I find it strange that the BMW OBC would have such a simple and arbitrary method of determining oil life... Acura now uses a "Maintenance Minder" system that takes into account operating conditions observed by the PCM (coolant temps, average RPM, etc.) to determine the appropriate schedule for the next oil change (and in some vehicles, transmission service).

I suppose fuel consumption could be a good indicator of engine wear, seeing as how engines run richer before they warm up, and obviously burn more fuel at higher rpm and throttle angle... it just seems less precise to me.
You'd think BMW would have more advanced monitoring, and they very well have changed it. You have to think this was over 6 years ago when they implemented this system on the E46 M3. I am sure todays OBD logs more parameters.

Quote:
Plus it lets BMW know how much you been abusing the car, it rats you out and when you try and say, "But I drive it like my grandmother" they know better.
Not really. Someone may never drive more than in city traffic, or grid-locked highways, and never average more than 13-14 mpg. Mileage isn't always indicative of how hard you are driving the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y View Post
If 666 was the magic number......I should have gotten my first free oil change at 15,000 miles.....
They may have different parameters now. I always thought it was odd they chose 666 gallons!!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #25
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:

BMWs are meant to be driven. Not Puttered around in. Just like sportbikes and Rotary engines, NOT running them hard on a regular basis is detrimental to their health. Bouncing off the rev limiter, pinning the throttle to the floor through the gears, and otherwise letting your vehicle run? That's Not abuse, it's what they are designed for.

Abuse, is running your car in traffic every day, never running it up to 7k RPM, short shifting all the time and not getting enough heat in the motor for it to keep itself clean and free of any deposits and carbon. That's abuse.

I've seen a lot of low mileage motors come into the shop running like crap, that have their performance improved dramatically by a simple "Italian Tune Up". Simply Driving the piss outta it for awhile and getting everything good and hot and exercised. Especially performance engines! You've got to RUN EM' or they ROT.

So RUN THE PISS outta your Bimmer once a week or so, go play up in the canyons! Your car and your stress levels will thank you for it.
      03-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #26
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
BMWs are meant to be driven. Not Puttered around in. Just like sportbikes and Rotary engines, NOT running them hard on a regular basis is detrimental to their health. Bouncing off the rev limiter, pinning the throttle to the floor through the gears, and otherwise letting your vehicle run? That's Not abuse, it's what they are designed for.
i agree with that except pinging off the rev limiter, thats bad for your engine
      03-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #27
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild View Post
i agree with that except pinging off the rev limiter, thats bad for your engine

BAH! I use the Ignition Interrupt on my bike at redline as an AUTOshifter. Pre-load the shifter, ignition cuts out and the lever SNICKS right into the next gear...

No worries,

Yeah, you don't want to live on the rev limiter, but at the same time it's there to prevent potential damage.

Key though is NOT forcing your car into a mechanical over rev where ignition cut off or not you're going above redline....

Otherwise Run the shit out of a performance engine... :rocks:
      03-23-2007, 03:17 PM   #28
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

you guys do not get sarcasm
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #29
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you guys do not get sarcasm
[sarcasm]Yeah, Funny how it doesn't work in type isn't it??? [/sarcasm]
      03-23-2007, 07:31 PM   #30
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Key though is NOT forcing your car into a mechanical over rev where ignition cut off or not you're going above redline....
yea i love those stories "OMG I DOWNSHIFTED FROM 5TH two 2ND IS MY CAR OK?"
      03-23-2007, 08:04 PM   #31
JoJoGunn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ****

Exclamation

I have an appt this week for my 1,200 mile oil and filter change:
Thereafter, Every 6 months OR 6,000 Miles...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #32
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
ill have to check what mine says since i have driven pretty hard since day one
mine says 14000 miles till the change, isnt thta what everyones says
      03-23-2007, 08:14 PM   #33
shadowcoder
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Nop. Just had my first by BMW yearly oil change today and it just happened
to coincide with the oil service interval coming on. Current miles: 19175.

Next interval reads: 19000 miles.

I did my first one at 1300 miles and thereafter every 4500. Wasn't gonna wait
19000 for an oil change.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2007, 09:24 AM   #34
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Yeah, checked mine last night and it say 14000 too, I know for a fact it said 15000 when I bought it because the sales guy show it to me and told me that it should be changed between 12000 and 15000 or one year. So I have 4500 on the car now so that would put me at about 18k to 19k like others are seeing..

I do lots of stop and go traffic but when I get a chance I do open it up and have fun so I am not sure if the gallon/useage method of oil change calculation is correct. Since I am averaging 18 mpg and doing the 666 gallon consumed would put me at 12k miles oil change.
Appreciate 0