E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > GTA rust protection and 3M

09-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

GTA rust protection and 3M

Looking to get rust protection done before the winter (Ontario uses a crazy amount of salt in the winter!) Anyone have any recommendations? I heard good things about Rust Check but I also heard they have to drill into the frame for it?

Also looking to get 3M done on my rear bumper (because there are too many jerks around here that will graze your bumper and then drive off). Any recommendations for good places?

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

BMW has a 12 year rust warranty from the factory. Aftermarket sprays are a waste of money IMHO.

Here is a link for 3M and the authorized installers.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...VentureShield/
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
roman_s
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90/325i/Sport Package

Rust proofing is a joke.. definitely consult your bmw manual where they are very clear on that undercoating is not needed and is protected by BMW longer then any other warranty or part
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
yes rustproofing is a joke. dont bother..if you are going to do it now, you are jsut trapping whatever moisture is there in between the coat and your car anyways...theres a krown opposite the street from where i work, and i wouldnt want to get my car done there
      09-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
edvc520
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

really?
so what if the underneath start to rust?
they give you new parts??
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edvc520 View Post
really?
so what if the underneath start to rust?
they give you new parts??
bmw will fix it at their cost..thats what the rust warranty is for
      09-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
edvc520
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgazer View Post
bmw will fix it at their cost..thats what the rust warranty is for
it comes with ALL BMW??? all years??
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edvc520 View Post
it comes with ALL BMW??? all years??
it says this in the manual and is readily available on the website.
Limited Rust Perforation Warranty.
BMW Canada Inc. (BMW Canada) warrants to the first retail purchaser, and each subsequent purchaser, that this vehicle shall remain free of defects in materials or workmanship which results in rust ** “perforation” of the vehicle body.

**“Perforation” means the rust or corrosion of any components of the automobile body through from the inner surface to the outer surface.

The warranty for perforation due to corrosion is for a period of 12 years/unlimited kilometres.

This warranty begins on the date of first registration, or the date the vehicle is first placed in service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever occurs first.

Please see your authorized BMW Retailer for additional information on coverage and limitations.
      09-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
Doctor T
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 430i xDrive, AW E90 LCI M-S

Hmm, I have a mechanic friend who swears by it. He said, standing underneath cars all day, he sees a huge difference between those that have been oil sprayed (I assumed he meant rust proofing) vs those that haven't. i.e The ones that were sprayed look brand new for years.

I haven't done it before, so I'm on the fence. I'm thinking of keeping this new one, long term.

Any other mechanics in here that can throw in their 2 cents?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
Doctor T
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgazer View Post
it says this in the manual and is readily available on the website.
Limited Rust Perforation Warranty.
BMW Canada Inc. (BMW Canada) warrants to the first retail purchaser, and each subsequent purchaser, that this vehicle shall remain free of defects in materials or workmanship which results in rust ** “perforation” of the vehicle body.

**“Perforation” means the rust or corrosion of any components of the automobile body through from the inner surface to the outer surface.

The warranty for perforation due to corrosion is for a period of 12 years/unlimited kilometres.

This warranty begins on the date of first registration, or the date the vehicle is first placed in service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever occurs first.

Please see your authorized BMW Retailer for additional information on coverage and limitations.
I thought this to mean the body panels only - no?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
catch
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I never knew BMW warranteed against rust! I learnt something today.
I will def be talking to my service manager about that!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

I know about the BMW warranty and what it means by perforation. Rust right through a part (which is perforation) is very serious. The thing is...this doesn't happen too often. You can get structural failure without perforation but just pitting. Meaning BMW will not warranty it until a hole is formed. The steel can be 1 mm thick and have extensive section loss but not have a hole in it and BMW would not warranty it since BMW will only warranty 100% section loss, not 99% i.e. not perforated. (I published two papers on corrosion protection for some engineering research I was doing so it got me looking at the BMW warranty again).

Yeah, the concern I have is trapping dirt and moisture if I did a spray now. But not a huge concern since the oil spray is just to prevent salt from getting into the tight spaces (and you're supposed to do it every year anyway).

I was thinking also galvanized spray (would have to clean up the underside very well) but I don't know if anyone offers that (or if anyone has experienced that before). Really, you could just pick up a can of zinc-rich paint and do it yourself but I rather have someone who has done it before do it for me as opposed to being the first guy to do it.

Oh and the 3M...looking for a place that won't charge me an arm and a leg and does a good job. I've seen some poor 3M jobs and some good ones so it varies depending on the skill.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 08:27 PM   #13
Doctor T
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Please let us know what you eventually decide on.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #14
edvc520
Lieutenant
Rep

i think i'll choose spray
the negative is just messy, where as positively it prevents getting rusty..
i think i'm ok with that
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 06:09 AM   #15
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
I know about the BMW warranty and what it means by perforation. Rust right through a part (which is perforation) is very serious. The thing is...this doesn't happen too often. You can get structural failure without perforation but just pitting. Meaning BMW will not warranty it until a hole is formed. The steel can be 1 mm thick and have extensive section loss but not have a hole in it and BMW would not warranty it since BMW will only warranty 100% section loss, not 99% i.e. not perforated. (I published two papers on corrosion protection for some engineering research I was doing so it got me looking at the BMW warranty again).

Yeah, the concern I have is trapping dirt and moisture if I did a spray now. But not a huge concern since the oil spray is just to prevent salt from getting into the tight spaces (and you're supposed to do it every year anyway).

I was thinking also galvanized spray (would have to clean up the underside very well) but I don't know if anyone offers that (or if anyone has experienced that before). Really, you could just pick up a can of zinc-rich paint and do it yourself but I rather have someone who has done it before do it for me as opposed to being the first guy to do it.

Oh and the 3M...looking for a place that won't charge me an arm and a leg and does a good job. I've seen some poor 3M jobs and some good ones so it varies depending on the skill.
i have heard (not sure if its true) that they may be required to drill holes in parts of your body as so that the excess "anti-rust" compound can flow out
      09-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #16
2000gsr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman_s View Post
Rust proofing is a joke.. definitely consult your bmw manual where they are very clear on that undercoating is not needed and is protected by BMW longer then any other warranty or part
+1 Rust proofing is a scam.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #17
Bimmer Al
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi Coupe MSport, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor T View Post
Hmm, I have a mechanic friend who swears by it. He said, standing underneath cars all day, he sees a huge difference between those that have been oil sprayed (I assumed he meant rust proofing) vs those that haven't. i.e The ones that were sprayed look brand new for years.

I haven't done it before, so I'm on the fence. I'm thinking of keeping this new one, long term.

Any other mechanics in here that can throw in their 2 cents?
Don't ruin your car.....what is he looking at? cavaliers? BMW's will not rust unless you do not deal with stone chips, scratched or dents where the metal is exposed.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #18
Doctor T
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Al View Post
Don't ruin your car.....what is he looking at? cavaliers? BMW's will not rust unless you do not deal with stone chips, scratched or dents where the metal is exposed.
I believe he talking about the undercarriage, brake lines, fuel lines, etc... But truth be told, he is a GM mechanic and owns a 70s Camaro which is remarkably rust free...

I notice most people don't recommend it here, but on Maxbimmer it seems like everyone is doing it. The E46s obviously are showing rust issues within it's 12 years, how do we know the E90s won't be the same? Despite what BMW writes in the manuals, they want us to buy new cars every 4 years or less.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #19
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Quote:
I notice most people don't recommend it here, but on Maxbimmer it seems like everyone is doing it. The E46s obviously are showing rust issues within it's 12 years, how do we know the E90s won't be the same? Despite what BMW writes in the manuals, they want us to buy new cars every 4 years or less.
If I am not mistaken the e46s were only 6 yrs and the e9xs are 12 yrs...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 07:17 AM   #20
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAISKI View Post
If I am not mistaken the e46s were only 6 yrs and the e9xs are 12 yrs...
this is true
      09-30-2010, 08:25 AM   #21
Doctor T
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Good to know about the E46, thx. But what about the undercarriage stuff, brake lines, fuel lines, etc...? Are they covered by the BMW 12 year rust warranty?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #22
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Good to know about the E46, thx. But what about the undercarriage stuff, brake lines, fuel lines, etc...? Are they covered by the BMW 12 year rust warranty?
dont believe the feul/brake lines are metal so they wont rust.