E90Post

Evolution of Speed

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Amend the Constitution

10-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #1
Jaghave
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i (Auto) RWD

Amend the Constitution

If 2/3 of the house and senate or 2/3 of the states and 3/4 of all states agree to pass an amendment to the constitution which ones would you like to see.

Personally for me

Require Voter ID
Balance Budget
Term Limit on House and Senate.

Figure this would be a fun topic outside of Trump vs Hillary war going on.
Appreciate 1
Outlaw M3279.00

10-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #2
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, 650i

Garage List
2014 BMW 650i  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaghave View Post
If 2/3 of the house and senate or 2/3 of the states and 3/4 of all states agree to pass an amendment to the constitution which ones would you like to see.

Personally for me

Require Voter ID
Balance Budget
Term Limit on House and Senate.

Figure this would be a fun topic outside of Trump vs Hillary war going on.
Would have to think about it, but my #1 would be your 3rd point. It's ridiculous that we have to vote for a new president every 4 or 8 years, but some of these guys can be in office for 50 years.
Appreciate 2
      10-12-2016, 09:13 PM   #3
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Msport 6mt

yep, have to have term limits in congress.
      10-12-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

The states MUST have a means to invalidate federal law......something like if 2/3ds of state legislatures vote to invalidate a federal law then it must be struck from the mountain of laws that exist

The Executive branch powers need to be trimmed with extreme predjudice

Rule making authority by Bureaucrats must be revoked......passing laws is a power we granted to elected officials not appointed bureaucrats.
Appreciate 1
DonaldPump1098.50

10-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #5
JohnnyCanuck
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

From an outsider's perspective, one of the biggest problems seems to be your constant election cycles. With only two year terms for the House, your elected representatives are spending half their time fighting election campaigns instead of governing. Plus, year long campaigns for President are (to every other form of democracy) ludicrous exercises. Last observation, you elect too many positions (speaking explicitly of law enforcement, judges, state officials (not governors or representatives but AGs and Lt. Govs. etc). How can any elector be truly informed as to candidates when the ballots are so long? Not to mention that judges and sheriffs having to be elected/re-elected makes the justice system a political exercise and there's all sorts of wrong about that.

As I said, an outsider's perspective but thought I'd throw some chum in the water for discussion ...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #6
Jaghave
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
The states MUST have a means to invalidate federal law......something like if 2/3ds of state legislatures vote to invalidate a federal law then it must be struck from the mountain of laws that exist

The Executive branch powers need to be trimmed with extreme predjudice

Rule making authority by Bureaucrats must be revoked......passing laws is a power we granted to elected officials not appointed bureaucrats.
i wouldn't have a problem with 2/3 remove law by the states against the feds.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #7
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
i wouldn't have a problem with 2/3 remove law by the states against the feds.
Its really a tough one for most people to argue against....even progressives.....its all about checks and balances
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #8
Jaghave
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
From an outsider's perspective, one of the biggest problems seems to be your constant election cycles. With only two year terms for the House, your elected representatives are spending half their time fighting election campaigns instead of governing. Plus, year long campaigns for President are (to every other form of democracy) ludicrous exercises. Last observation, you elect too many positions (speaking explicitly of law enforcement, judges, state officials (not governors or representatives but AGs and Lt. Govs. etc). How can any elector be truly informed as to candidates when the ballots are so long? Not to mention that judges and sheriffs having to be elected/re-elected makes the justice system a political exercise and there's all sorts of wrong about that.

As I said, an outsider's perspective but thought I'd throw some chum in the water for discussion ...
depends on state, in nj our governor and mayors appoints judges and state officials
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #9
Jaghave
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
Its really a tough one for most people to argue against....even progressives.....its all about checks and balances
they sort of had that power when our states appointed the senator directly not the popular vote.
Appreciate 1
jpnh1413.00

10-12-2016, 09:37 PM   #10
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post

Short terms in office function as a check/balance on politicians......

You've heard the expression "The greatest threat to freedom is a legislature in session" eh?
Appreciate 1
Jaghave794.00

10-12-2016, 10:17 PM   #11
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
they sort of had that power when our states appointed the senator directly not the popular vote.
IMHO we should return to the original means of appointment of senators......having 6 yr terms for senators AND for them to be popularly elected with such large blocks of voters not only means that the senator to citizen scale is out of whack but it means that there's little if any accountability.....which is what went along with legislative appointment of senators

We also need a means of recalling senators and representative by ballot initiative

I'd also like to see a return to more representative election of reps to house and go back to the original formula (Rep to Citizen ratio) and greatly increase the number of reps in the US House

It would break up the two party system stranglehold over the gov for starters and provide for more accountability by citizens
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 10:42 PM   #12
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Definitely want term limits. I also think the presidential campaign is too long and a drain on resources. I also think there is a problem in how funding works with the campaigns. They become run by lobbyists. It would be great if there could be a fund to put the candidates on even ground...but this would probably not be feasible. So, maybe a campaign expenditure cap. My complaint is that to be a politician you have to be wealthy to begin with. I would like to see "regular" people such as small business owners and scholars have a shot at running our government.
      10-12-2016, 10:53 PM   #13
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Definitely want term limits. I also think the presidential campaign is too long and a drain on resources. I also think there is a problem in how funding works with the campaigns. They become run by lobbyists. It would be great if there could be a fund to put the candidates on even ground...but this would probably not be feasible. So, maybe a campaign expenditure cap. My complaint is that to be a politician you have to be wealthy to begin with. I would like to see "regular" people such as small business owners and scholars have a shot at running our government.
Well....there are other considerations

How many "unsuccessful" people have you known that you would want to see running for president/senator/representative......not sure how many elected officials like this we can actually tolerate

Appreciate 0