E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Electrical issue

03-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
Ark10bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i xdrive

Electrical issue

My car is a 2010 335i xdrive and I did not have it on for like 2 months so I put a charger to it and it was fine. Then I pluged to charger to it and I do not get a voltage return to the box but when I when to start the car it would show the voltage trying to come back to the box. I was hoping that a ground was disconnected but now it has gotten worse. I don't know of it has to do with the recall.
Has anyone actually had a problem with the recall. My car has been wrecked and while I was charging the batery. I took off te box and let the car run on its own power and it said charging malfunction. I don't know what to do. It did not do this at first only after I put the charger box in the front. Now I'm order to move it. We have to put a battery on the front and back. What do you guys think is it part of the recall?
The car Is in the process of being repaired
Any help would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

Can you simplify the description of your problem...Im having trouble following....

jP
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Ark10bimmer
Private First Class
Rep

I shows charging malfunction on Idrive and then it dies. It started after I put a battery charger on it. I had no issue before. I'm just worried I called the service rep at my local dealer which is like a hour away and they said it is still under every warranty. Should I be concerned? By the way the car was hit before.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 03:10 AM   #4
sankohuy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanianbimmer
I shows charging malfunction on Idrive and then it dies. It started after I put a battery charger on it. I had no issue before. I'm just worried I called the service rep at my local dealer which is like a hour away and they said it is still under every warranty. Should I be concerned? By the way the car was hit before.
If its still under warranty like you said, then just have them take a look at it and hear what they have to say.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
Ark10bimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankohuy View Post
If its still under warranty like you said, then just have them take a look at it and hear what they have to say.
The service rep said it was.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

If it is wrecked and BMW didn't do the repair they may tell you not their problem and be willing to fix it but at your cost.

Now on to your problem. I agree it isn't clear to me what you are saying. If I understood you, you disconnected the battery at one point with the car running? Big no-no for this car by the way since it has an Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS).

Specifically what does your Idrive message say?
There is a chance that your IBS is toast or that as you mentioned the cable harness to the back of the fuse box is at issue. If the cable connector is the problem you may have to pound on the glove box to start the car. If that helps the car start then that is your issue and BMW should do the recall if your year is effected.

The BMW charging system in this car is not a simple alternator-voltage regulator-battery affair. The DME using inputs from many sources like the IBS determines how much charge the battery gets.

Measuring the voltage to the battery would help determine if your alternator is healthy too.

Not sure I touched on the issue...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
Ark10bimmer
Private First Class
Rep

I did not disconnect the battery. Thanks for the input.
Idrive says "charging system failure" and then if it stays on it completely dies and all the lights go off.

Last edited by Ark10bimmer; 03-28-2013 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0