E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Rear wiper not working and glass hatch

04-24-2015, 12:59 AM   #1
Bmwjc
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d

Rear wiper not working and glass hatch

hi all MOT is coming up and the rear wiper has just stopped working. Assume this is an MOT fail. The glass hatch on my E91 has also stopped opening does anyone know how I can open this as I need it open to get at the rear wiper!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 04:29 AM   #2
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

sounds tricky. They may be related. The only thing I can suggest is to check the latch is getting power but you'd have to remove some of the trim. I would get the codes read before going any further as this may show up something. Often the wires in the boot lid harness become severed, so you may want to check their condition. I would've thought they provide power to the latch.

If when you turn the rear wiper on you hear the motor moving, the sprung loaded pin attached to the wiper on the internal side of the glass may be a bit corroded and jammed. It slots into the hole of the motor within the boot lid when the hatch is closed. You can pull this out with pliers and free it up with a good spray of wd40 or similar.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 05:04 AM   #3
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Check the fuses.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 05:52 AM   #4
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

I very much doubt the rear wiper is an MOT testable item.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 07:08 AM   #5
bytejunkie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive M Sport

used to be that if there was a wiper it had to work. so just take the arm off if its possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #6
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Its not a testable item. So it doesnt matter.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 09:35 AM   #7
Bmwjc
Private
Rep

Thanks for the replies just about to have a look at it now following your suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #8
Bmwjc
Private
Rep

quick update, checked to see if i can hear the motor working for the rear wiper and thats a no, also there is no noise for the rear washer as well. lifted the cap off the switch to the tailgate glass and that had some moisture in it so possible problem there but again no noise when pressing that switch. the rear wiper motor pin looks knackered and the thread is shot so that i will change and maybe the motor but there is just no way im able to open the tailgate glass there seems to be no emergency if you like way of opening it. i have read that if you pull the switch out cut the wires then touch the two wires it open the glass but im reluctant to do that as i dont know if it will work or will it cause problems when trying to replace said switch!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 12:52 PM   #9
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Have you checked the relevant fuses?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Rear wiper won't fail the MOT as its non testable, the micro switch button(common on the 5 and indeed the 3 tourer is your usual suspect when the glass doesn't open)thing is they are a tricky custoemr to get off from memory they are around £41.85+VAT to supply but we've seen people damage the glass getting them off!

You'd assume the rear wiper motor has packed up but it can be the pivot to the motor that fails rather than the motor itself, therefore needs to be checked out as you've discoverd these cars do when you go looking suffer from moisture contamination as you've seen from the threads when you've started looking.

The pictures below is not the best but No8 & 9 are your micro switch assembly parts for the tailgate glass while the wiper shaft pivot is No10, the motor is quite obviously No11, the pivot can seize due to contamination/corrosion

Diagram http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E9..._window_wiper/

Worth also seeing if there are any wiring breaks too wiring runs through the body via the hinges on the tailgate they over time become weak can break adn therefore you get various issues like you've described and more(loss of radio reception loss of remote key loss of heated rear screen)

All I can say is get the issues looked at somewhere in the post and the replies you've got will be the answer.

All probables But on the MOT don't worry about the wiper
      04-25-2015, 08:41 AM   #11
oldbilly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d e91 M Sport

To access the hatch lock you need to remove the inner panel (not easy with hatch shut) as you cant open it fold down the rear seats, once the panel is off and looking at the top right silver screw in the pic there is a small hole activate this with a small round screwdriver and the hatch will open, regarding the glass button, I used a cutting disc and junior hacksaw to cut off the nut as they are both alloy and become corroded together.

Appreciate 0