E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Out of state purchase: legal to drive with no plate/registration?

04-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #23
Weelkes
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 '07 328xi Monaco Blue

Thunderdump has the correct answer. I recently bought my 2007 E90 in New Jersey from a dealer. You can transfer your plate to the newly purchased car only if you have disposed of the old car.. .i.e. only if you have actually sold the old car by signing the title. In my case, I 1) sold my old car to a friend, 2) removed the plates from the old car, 3) took old plates to NJ, 4) bought the E90, 5) attached my old plates to the new car, and then 6) drove home to Massachusetts with the bill of sale from the dealer. I also needed the title, but the dealer screwed up that small detail! Finally, within 7 days of the purchase, you must go to the RMV and register the new car. You then have 7 more days to inspect (according to what the guy at the RMV window told me).

Congratulations on the new car!
Appreciate 0