E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > BMW Performance Exhaust for - E90 325i?

01-09-2011, 04:58 AM   #1
dragon20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Still Looking

BMW Performance Exhaust for - E90 325i?

Hi Guys, has any body installed a BMW PE for 325i?

As far as I can tell it doesn't exist for the Aus version N52?

If anybody has purchased this and has a BMW part numbers Let me know.

If not has any body else installed soothing else on their 325i E90?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 05:16 AM   #2
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

A quick search leads me to 18100443581 for USA models from 323i up to 330i. Interestingly though, 18100443580 (euro part) only lists 330i for fitment. Sorry I can't help on price etc..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
V1_R
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [10.00]
check this thread!!!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473152

LTBMW has custom fitted a 335i Vanguard exhaust onto a 328 !!

The sound clip is awesome!!!

There is a Vanguard exhaust system for sale on the classified section as we speak also
      01-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
bmwaddiction
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS350 F Sport

if you want an awesome exhaust for a 325i I would recommend a REMUS POWERSOUND, $1400 fitted at Carshine Melbourne
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
dragon20
Private First Class
Rep

Guys, Thanks for the response, I would prefer somthing that is a bolt on. I dont really need a full exhaust even half would be fine. I spoke with Ticher from the US and they didnt have a BMW part number for PE exhuast that supports 325i with N52 engine.

If any one else has any other info would be great

Might have a look at Remus and see what its like thanks for the info bmwaddiction.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

I am pretty sure 325 and 330 (euro spec) is the same exhaust, I'll try find the thread discussing this.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

I came across the same question when I looked at it before. I wonder if the same exhaust for the Canadian 323i would be suitable..

The potential issue with putting a big exhaust on a smaller engine is there may be a drop in the low / mid-range power. It is related to the lower velocity of exhaust gasses in larger diameter tubing. I think the centre section of the Performance exhaust is a 2.25" pipe, so I don't know for sure if it is too big or not. I got the idea that maybe it would be better to delete the secondry cats and change the muffler, keeping the stock centre section of the exhaust. I'd like to get an informed opinion before making changes because I am only interested in doing it to get a performance gain.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

A guy in this thread is rather adamant that 325/330 PE is the same http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...rmance+exhaust

Anything up to 2.5" for a NA 2.5L motor is fine.

I believe the Canadian vehicles share more in common with US spec cars rather than Euro cars. The part number for the US PE ends in 79, whereas the Euro spec PE ends in 80.

John for performance gains I imagine the ideal setup would be:

- no cats (but for legality sake high-flow cats that are ADR approved)
- 2.5" piping throughout
- material that is lighter than stock (not hard as the OEM muffler is very heavy)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
323iMarto
Australia
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 323i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon20 View Post
Hi Guys, has any body installed a BMW PE for 325i?

As far as I can tell it doesn't exist for the Aus version N52?

If anybody has purchased this and has a BMW part numbers Let me know.

If not has any body else installed soothing else on their 325i E90?

Cheers
Hey guys, I've been meaning to post my experience about this mod for a while but never got round to it so now that someone has asked I'll fill you in. I've got an 07 323i and was never happy with the lack of exhaust sound so I went researching around June this year. I found that BMW make a PE for the 323i/325i/330i with the N52 engine however when I asked a number of Australian dealers about it they said they do not stock them in Australia as they apparently haven't passed our ADR. I found a PDF somewhere on these forums that was the official release documentation for the entire BMW Performance range of upgrades. It included all the marketing blurb from BMW and also had a complete compatibility listing of all the components. I think I still have it downloaded somewhere so will go looking later tonight.

The part 1810 0443580 is listed in this document as specifically compatible with the 323/325 and 330i ECE versions of the E90, E91, E92 and E93. The ECE bit means European/Australian as opposed to the 1810 0443581 which is listed for US versions.

I decided to bite the bullet and purchased one from BMWminiparts for 586 pounds delivered. At the time, about $1000AUD I think.

This part is only the rear silencer/muffler box and a clamp. This part is NOT bolt on and does require a cut to the exhaust. I took it to my mechanic who I have been using for years who has a number of ExBMW mechanics who looked after it for me. Fitting cost was about $150 as it really isn't much work. I should mention that the diametre of the exhaust pipe leading into the old muffler and new one was exactly the same so it was basically just a cut and clamp job. The exhaust tips are slighly longer and slightly larger in diameter that the originals but fill the space well and look great I reckon.

Whilst I ordered it it in June, I only got it fitted in November when the car ran out of BMW warranty. I didn't want to give any dealer an excuse not to fix something when I got my end of warranty service done. Whilst it is a BMW part, it is not technically 'authorised' for australian cars. Just something to keep in mind depending how old your car is.

My thoughts.... I wasn't doing this upgrade for more power, I just wanted a little more aural zing from the exhaust tips. BMW claim you get something like a 3hp gain which is basically negligible and I can't even tell to be honest. I've always felt the 323i/325i lacked low down power anyway (previous car was a V8 SS) so can't say I've noticed any real detriment there either.

What you do get though is the most fantastic improvement in sound!! Even from the start of the engine, you know there is something more there. It's fairly sedate up to about 2500-3000RPM which means no drone on long distance driving however above 3000 its awesome. Find me a tunnel!

I've also done the BMW Performance Intake which is also supposed to give you a slight intake gain there also.

I highly recommend both upgrades! Simply love them!

Shame your in Melbourne otherwise would be happy to meet. Let me know if you want to know anything else.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 04:56 AM   #10
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the comments. I learned a few things in summary:

The US version, 18100443581 includes the centre pipe. You can see picture of the US version showing both pieces in the DIY thread.

As described by Marto323i the Euro version, 18100443580 only includes the rear muffler and a clamp for 63.5mm OD pipe. Officially BMW do not promote it as being suitable for 2.5 litre engines. I have no understanding of the reason.

My 325i dosen't have any secondary catalytic converters in the standard exhaust system, see the pic attached. This is unlike the US spec cars such as 328i.
Attached Images

Last edited by John_01; 01-12-2011 at 05:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #11
dragon20
Private First Class
Rep

Guys thanks a lot for the information and part number: 1810 0443580 - I assume because its Euro part you wont be able to order it from most US BMW Websites. 323Imarto I am pretty much wanting just a good sound, better than the stock exhaust How much did the BMW Performance intake cost you? Overall do you think it helped combined with the exhaust? Most people say this does help a little in opening up the car.

Most the mod's I will be looking to do are cosmetic as I dont really consider these performance based

Will add this to my list !

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 05:50 AM   #12
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Since my last post on this thread, I've been looking at the Eisenmann sport muffler as an alternative to the BMW PE. See my post here. These are some links to videos of these fitted to the 325i:

BMW Performance Exhaust 325i E92 (N52B25)

Eisenmann Sport Muffler 325i E92 (N52B25)

As for pricing, I found an online UK seller, Prestige performance centre
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 06:37 AM   #13
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
Since my last post on this thread, I've been looking at the Eisenmann sport muffler as an alternative to the BMW PE. See my post here. These are some links to videos of these fitted to the 325i:

BMW Performance Exhaust 325i E92 (N52B25)

Eisenmann Sport Muffler 325i E92 (N52B25)

As for pricing, I found an online UK seller, Prestige performance centre

The Eisenmann quad looks awesome and read somewhere that can be `fitted by cutting the existing bumper for the right exhaust pipes, not sure how gooddoing that to the bumper would be though
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #14
323iMarto
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon20 View Post
323Imarto I am pretty much wanting just a good sound, better than the stock exhaust How much did the BMW Performance intake cost you? Overall do you think it helped combined with the exhaust? Most people say this does help a little in opening up the car.
I definately noticed an improvement with the Performance Intake. Its not much, but definately seems to rev more smoothly at the top end. There is also a nice improvment in induction growl as well. I can't say I noticed any performance gain from the PE, just a fantastic improvement in sound.

I also looked at the Eisenmann options but they were pretty pricey in comparison, from memory about $2000-2500 I think. When the BMW PE was only $1100 I considered it a no brainer. As mentioned in an earlier post, I think there is a REMUS option for only a little more however I liked the idea of OEM even if not approved in Australia by BMW.

I ordered the PI from bmminiparts in the UK. Its a little while ago now but I think I paid about $800 AUD delivered. Install was really easy using a DIY from this site and was all done in about 15 mins.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 05:32 AM   #15
dragon20
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE!!!!

Hi guys I have an issue and hope some of you might be able to help.

I placed an order on 18100443580 with bmwminiparts.

The great guys there notified me of something that could have potentially caused me a lot of grief.

They mentioned the following:

18 10 0 443 580 SILENCER

TECHNICAL

FOR E9X N52 ECE CARS BUILT BEFORE 06/06

IT MAY BE NECESSARY, WHEN RETROFITTING
THE PERFORMANCE SILENCER SYSTEM, TO
INSTALL THE MIDDLE SILENCER SERIES
SPARE PART AS WELL DUE TO THE DIFFERENT
PIPE DIAMETERS PART NUMBER IS 18.30.7.566.932

So I went and had a look underneath my car (near the muffler) and unfortunately it doesn't look like what John01 posted. For my car - E90 build date 04/06 there is a CAT Converter in that spot - Very similar to US Spec as shown in this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301917

I spoke to my BMW mechanic and found out the after around late 2006/2007 BMW slightly changed their exhaust and put the CAT converters very close to the front of the car.

So at the moment I need to go underneath my car and measure the diameter of the end of my exhaust pipe (before the muffler) to make sure its 63.5mm

bmwminiparts came back to me and said that a BMW PE exhaust doesn't exist for 325i.

If any one has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #16
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

If the diameter of the piping is different your exhaust shop should be able to do up a simple flange converting it from 2.25" to 2.5" or vice versa as necessary.

If the exhaust ends up fouling on the rear cats you can either:
a) relocate them to the front (not sure if I'd bother)
b) go with straight pipes (easy peasy)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #17
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep

I wouldn't feel so bad about having the cats in the mid section - much easier to access if you want to fit aftermaket cats. I'm still a bit curious why the PE isn't officially available for our cars.

I can't see much value in ordering the mid-pipes to go with it. As Bmrox' said, it should be possible to adapt one size pipe to another if that's an issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:08 PM   #18
323iMarto
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I'm still a bit curious why the PE isn't officially available for our cars.
When I did my ringing around last year, I was given the impression by the dealership parts guy (Sylvania BMW I think, but I did ring a few) that it doesn't meet ADR because of noise levels.

I'm not sure if this was just a guess on his behalf though. He did say they were working on it but it could take a while or may never happen at all.

I do find it hard to believe that noise was the issue because while it makes it unquestionably louder, it's hardly what you'd call raucous. Its definitley no louder than what some other cars produce in OEM spec. HSV's, FPV's or even the standard M3 would all be considerably louder than the PE on a 2.5L BMW six.

Since, it doesn't require modification to the cats I can't see any environmental issues and Australia is no tougher than Europe on emissions anyway.

My guess, and its just a guess is that because the PE is the only part in the BMW Performance range of accessories that really changes the base characteristics of the car (i.e. alot of the the other options are costmetic) that it might have to go through some special ADR approval process. I would expect there would be costs involved in this and lots of paperwork for what is essentially a niche part and BMW simply can't be bothered for the 50-100 units they might actually sell to enthusiasts like us. Easier just not to offer it at all.

That being said, you can get the PE for the 320i and 320d and I'd have thought they would have fallen into the same category. Weird?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #19
dragon20
Private First Class
Rep

From what I have read and looking underneath my car and also having dealt with exhaust upgrades & Cats with my last car - My guess is its this.

1. The PE exhaust diameter might be different for my E90 exhaust Pipe - as BMROX said - This is as simple as getting exhaust shop to to flange it out to meet the change in diameter

2. The US version: 18100443581 - Replaces the centre pipe with a straght through pipe. If you have a car thats 2007+ you would have 2 CAT's very close to your dump pipe when the exhuast comes off the engine (which is why there is no cat near the muffler). If you have a E90 that is older than 2007 - The CAT will be located where the muffler is. The main issue with this is if you change the centre pipe and take out the CAT - your car is 100% illegal and there are serious fines for not running a CAT. You could simply cut this centre pip in half and put in a high flow cat (problem solved!)

BMWminiparts are doing a great job at finding some of this stuff out. In combination with me measuring my pipe diameter we should have a resolution.

Have gone through all this research - it just seems to me like the logical choice would be a Eisenmann Sport Muffler 325i E90 or Race Muffler - This is said to be 100% campatible and Cheaper!

I am not sure if the Race Muffler would be legal from a EPA sound perspective - Apparently it is 93DB - In VIC i am not sure if the sound limit is 90Db or 96Db.

Hope this information has provided some help for others out there - any advice or info keep me posted!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 04:32 AM   #20
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323iMarto View Post
My guess, and its just a guess is that because the PE is the only part in the BMW Performance range of accessories that really changes the base characteristics of the car (i.e. alot of the the other options are costmetic) that it might have to go through some special ADR approval process. I would expect there would be costs involved in this and lots of paperwork for what is essentially a niche part and BMW simply can't be bothered for the 50-100 units they might actually sell to enthusiasts like us. Easier just not to offer it at all.
Your reasoning would make sense, except that the 160kW 2.5 litre N52 was sold in Europe and UK from 2005 until 2007, prior to the introduction of the N53 engine. I think a similar engine is still sold in Canada in the 323i base model. So this question applies to markets other than Australia.

I wanted to ask if your Euro performance muffler includes a pneumatically operated valve on one of the exhaust outlets. I think such a system is used on the 330i in UK and Europe, but is not used on our 325i's as delivered to Australia.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #21
323iMarto
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I wanted to ask if your Euro performance muffler includes a pneumatically operated valve on one of the exhaust outlets. I think such a system is used on the 330i in UK and Europe, but is not used on our 325i's as delivered to Australia.
You are correct, my muffler did come with the pneumatic valve on one of the pipes but serves no purpose on our cars. The default position is open so it causes no real dramas.

I'm not sure but perhaps the E90 330i that you could get from about 2005-2007 would utilise it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #22
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323iMarto View Post
You are correct, my muffler did come with the pneumatic valve on one of the pipes but serves no purpose on our cars. The default position is open so it causes no real dramas.

I'm not sure but perhaps the E90 330i that you could get from about 2005-2007 would utilise it.
I know the US version 330i from around the same time has that, so it seems quite likely.
Appreciate 0