E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Question about Jetseal (yes, I searched)

05-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #1
sleepyx637
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

Question about Jetseal (yes, I searched)

Alright, i just got my order in from detailed image and will be washing/sealing/waxing this saturday.

I had a few questions about Jetseal that I couldn't find the answer to, so hopefully you guys can help. As I mentioned here, I have a Jet Black 335i and I know it scratches easily. My questions:

1) Should I be applying Jetseal with a dry foam pad, or should I spray something on the pad first?

2) Should I wipe off Jetseal with a dry microfiber cloth, or should i spray something on the MF cloth first?

3) Same questions as above, but with regards to Natty's Blue: Should I be applying NB with a dry foam pad, or should I spray something on the pad first?

4) Should I wipe off NB with a dry microfiber cloth, or should i spray something on the MF cloth first?

5) Do I wipe on/off in a circular motion or back and forth?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 01:49 AM   #2
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyx637 View Post
Alright, i just got my order in from detailed image and will be washing/sealing/waxing this saturday.

I had a few questions about Jetseal that I couldn't find the answer to, so hopefully you guys can help. As I mentioned here, I have a Jet Black 335i and I know it scratches easily. My questions:

1) Should I be applying Jetseal with a dry foam pad, or should I spray something on the pad first?

2) Should I wipe off Jetseal with a dry microfiber cloth, or should i spray something on the MF cloth first?

3) Same questions as above, but with regards to Natty's Blue: Should I be applying NB with a dry foam pad, or should I spray something on the pad first?

4) Should I wipe off NB with a dry microfiber cloth, or should i spray something on the MF cloth first?

Thanks!
Personally, I would spritz a tiny bit of QD onto the foam pad, then use that to apply the jetseal. Remove with a dry mf towel. Same goes for natty's blue (great wax by the way, best value for dark cars, in my opinion).

as for the circular motion, I believe that's more personal preference. I try and go back and forth most of the time, but sometimes, I find myself going in a circular motion when I'm wiping off the excess wax.
      05-15-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
sleepyx637
Captain
Rep

so it's safe to wipe off with a dry MF? even though jb scratches so easily?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 02:21 AM   #4
kei169
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

I am a newbie as well, here are just my thoughts and how i usually do!

I usually give the dry foam pad a tiny tiny bit of detailer, to mist it a little bit, but just a little bit!

i wipe it off with Dry MF

Same as JS

Same as JS

Circular motion for me, but i guess either way is fine, as long as you take everything off!

Kei
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 02:23 AM   #5
kei169
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Quote:
so it's safe to wipe off with a dry MF? even though jb scratches so easily?
As long as your MF is clean and nice, and your car is clean and free of dust, i don't think it will create swirls or scratches that easy. Just my thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

For NB wax, they recommend you apply with a slightly damp (with water) foam pad and remove with a dry MF. I use a very, very small amount of QD on my MF to remove the wax - just makes it a little easier.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Great advice from everyone who posted, I use the products in the same manner. I typically mist my applicator pads with the slightest bit of distilled water. What I mean by tiny amount is I'll usually use a tiny pump spray bottle, not a trigger, mist the water in the air, then pass my pad through the mist. I find spraying directly onto the pad can make it too damp.

For product removal, I use dry microfiber towels myself and constantly flip to a fresh section of the towel or swap for another towel. The fresher the towel is, the easier it is to remove product streak free. For some harder to remove products, like Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, I'll use a tiny bit of QD or cold distilled water, using the same misting technique I described above.

As far as direction of the application (circular vs straight lines), if the surface is properly prepped and free of contamination, it shouldn't matter what direction you apply the product in. If you have light contamination on the paint (even some dust) then if you grind the contamination into the surface, you can leave behind imperfections in the direction of the application, which is the argument to apply in straight lines. I find I get much better coverage using circular patterns though.

Hope this helps, thanks again for your support!

George
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
I also will spritz the application pad with a QD before/during application of the sealant.

I never apply or wipe off in a circular motion as you are then going against the grain of the paint.
Think of it this way ...... paint is generally applied in a forward-back, back-forward. Try to do the same when applying anything to the paint. Especially when washing/drying the car.

I normally use a dry MF towel to remove the sealant/wax from the paint however, I will spray the QD on the painted surface before removal. The sealant/wax is removed much easier and is less susceptible to scratching. My QD's of choice are the Optimum and Finish Kare 1 (FK1). I also use a thicker, more plush MF towel for removal and final wipe.

Optimum Instant Detailer/Gloss Enhancer:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...P286/17-oz-S1/

Finish Kare (FK1) #425 or #146:
http://www.fk1usa.com/products-consumer.htm

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
sleepyx637
Captain
Rep

Great, thanks for the tips!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Great, thanks for the tips!
Right on .......

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #11
mtechnik3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

ToadHollow- great tips in your post, thanks. I generally use the same method as yourself, but never misted the pad with QD of distilled water prior to applying sealant.
      05-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #12
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MiroE90 View Post
ToadHollow- great tips in your post, thanks. I generally use the same method as yourself, but never misted the pad with QD of distilled water prior to applying sealant.
Anytime.
The only reason for misting the applicator pad is really to help the product to glide across the paint and also to extend the use of the product rather than applying more than necessary.

These JB cars are CRAZY regarding the extra effort put into the upkeep of the appearance.

Call me Toad ........ everyone else does ..... here anyway.

Appreciate 0