E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M3 Control Arm upgrade issues

03-06-2023, 12:09 AM   #1
chef423
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

M3 Control Arm upgrade issues

Just installed these on my 335i '08 sedan.

Control Arm M3 upgrade

Well, I am not sure why but the car is now all over the place, the tires squeal at wired times and its out of control on the front end when I get on the gas.

The install upgrade was very straightforward, I even went by the FCP Euro install vid. The control arms were very tight and I used a mallet to get them in, but outside of that it was an easy install. I did have to remove the right side tie rod end at the knuckle to get the mounting bolt in for the control arm.

Any insight on why my car is wayyy worse off after this I welcome. 120k miles on the car.

Thanks.
Chef
      03-06-2023, 12:20 AM   #2
ornicar
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef423 View Post
Just installed these on my 335i '08 sedan.

Control Arm M3 upgrade

Well, I am not sure why but the car is now all over the place, the tires squeal at wired times and its out of control on the front end when I get on the gas.

The install upgrade was very straightforward, I even went by the FCP Euro install vid. The control arms were very tight and I used a mallet to get them in, but outside of that it was an easy install. I did have to remove the right side tie rod end at the knuckle to get the mounting bolt in for the control arm.

Any insight on why my car is wayyy worse off after this I welcome. 120k miles on the car.

Thanks.
Chef
An alignment is mandatory, because longers M3 control arms change the toe.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2023, 12:36 AM   #3
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Your toe will be out of alignment with the M3 wishbones
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 02:22 PM   #4
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Alignment is WAY off after installing these. There's a thread somewhere on here about how to adjust the tie rods to get it close enough to drive to the shop without it being scary, but if your alignment shop is within a few mins just go slow.

Camber isn't adjustable on these cars so when it gets adjusted by adding longer control arms (like this) your toe is way, way out of spec.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 03:14 PM   #5
ornicar
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Alignment is WAY off after installing these. There's a thread somewhere on here about how to adjust the tie rods to get it close enough to drive to the shop without it being scary, but if your alignment shop is within a few mins just go slow.

Camber isn't adjustable on these cars so when it gets adjusted by adding longer control arms (like this) your toe is way, way out of spec.
The value is around + 5mm on your tie rods to go safely for an alignment.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
whyzee1251678.50
Biginboca3763.50
steifan31.50
tip_m13.50
      03-07-2023, 12:59 PM   #6
chef423
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fieri View Post
Your toe will be out of alignment with the M3 wishbones
Its feeling like the toe is FUBAR.

wow, thank you to everyone with all the responses. I am installing new Tie Rod ends on Thursday. Figured why not, she's already out of whack and this way all ends are new and refreshed.

Yea, now that I have had time to drive the car a bit I can easily feel the toe is out of placement, she handles like a dime in corners tho! ha
      03-07-2023, 01:01 PM   #7
chef423
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post

Yea, I can clearly see the neg 1 degree that is placed after installing the M3 components. The tires are def. leaning in a bit.
      03-10-2023, 12:25 PM   #8
chef423
Private
United_States
Rep

Got her aligned this morning. The technician. "Man, I dont think I have ever seen any alignment that out of wack"

The car drives beautifully now. The M3 parts make a huge difference.
      11-09-2023, 01:14 PM   #9
belok
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Ci 2011 LCI Coupe e92

I too need to replace front tension struts and thinking to get either OE Lemforder or TRW struts from "upgrade" kit.
Can I replace just these tension struts and not the full kit?
Which part is responsible for the different alignment?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 05:36 PM   #10
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by belok View Post
I too need to replace front tension struts and thinking to get either OE Lemforder or TRW struts from "upgrade" kit.
Can I replace just these tension struts and not the full kit?
Which part is responsible for the different alignment?
You can use the M3 tension struts alone with no change to alignment. I did this for years before getting the M3 wishbones. I would recommend getting the wishbones at the same time though; they replace a bushing with a balljoint which helps offset the increase in NVH from bushing windup
Appreciate 2
belok3.00
BRG_N54296.50