E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Park brake cable stuck

11-11-2023, 05:36 AM   #1
Petr
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 N52

Park brake cable stuck

Hi, today I was replacing park brake cables. The old cables went out smoothly, but the new cable got stuck in the middle of the guide. Can't go forth or back. Did this happen to anyone here? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 07:51 AM   #2
Petr
Registered
Rep

Since no-one replied, I managed to solve this by my way. I had to remove the guide to find out what happend. I removed the heat shield, lowered the back of the exhaust and broke my arms trying to unscrew the six bolts holding the guide without removing the axle. Then I had to cut the steel between the back of the guide. I successfully got it out. I measured where is the cable stuck and made a cut. So what was really the problem? The ball at the end, which is connected to the park brake lever was not in a shape of a ball and was more than 2mm larger. So before you change your brake cable, check if it's the same size and shape as the original, so you don't have to do it the same way as me. Took me 3h to remove. Now I have to weld the guide, put everything back and order better brake cables.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 09:37 PM   #3
Petr
Registered
Rep

Update: There seems to be a problem with the right guide. I have new park brake cables. The ball on the original is 9.5mm and ball on the new cable is 10mm. When the guide was outside the car, I was able to slide the cable inside without any issues. The left guide is not that much curved, and the cable slides in all the time. So tomorrow I will buy freezing spray and try to freeze the ball so it would shrink a little bit. If that will not help, I will have to grind the ball to the proper spec of 9.5mm. I have the car outside in garden, it's cold and dark soon and a lot of rain is expected. So next update will be maybe a little bit late.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 02:50 PM   #4
Petr
Registered
Rep

So the freezing spray didn't work out. So I decided to partially put it apart again. I lowered back of the exhaust, removed heatshield and finally found the problem. There are 4 bolts screwed inside the plate of the guide. The bolt on the right side of the guide was somehow pushing on the pipe which caused the pipe to get a different shape through which I was unable to squeeze the ball through. So I just unscrewed the bolt, pushed the cable inside and returned the bolt back in place. Everything is okay now. I continued and also finished the brake job. I hope this will help someone in the future, so you don't have to take that under of the car apart so many times like me trying to figure out the real problem.
Appreciate 2