E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Too Good to be True? (335i Coupe Deal)

11-21-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
wyrm11
///Man of Steel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco 335

Too Good to be True? (335i Coupe Deal)

I'm on the verge of placing my order for a 335i coupe at invoice +$500. The sales associate has agreed to the deal via email and he's not even charging me MACO fees.

What I'm concerned about is that it seems too easy. I just found the dealer's website, emailed the internet sales department with the offer and he simply said "Sounds good, send me a $2k deposit (non-refundable) and I'll put in the order."

Now the non-refundable deposit bothers me a bit and I'm going to try to get him to make it refundable. But other than that, it's like a dream.

Is there anything I should be worried about? I feel like it was way too easy and I'm worried I'm going to get scammed on something.

Any help on how I should proceed and what additional clarification questions I should ask would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

if it's non-refundable don't do it. If he says it's refundable but will not take credit charge for it don't do it.

$500 over invoice by itself is great but not unbelievable. The fact there are no other fees is what looks odd.
      11-21-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Insist on refundable deposit. Also, the CA should be able to furnish you with a production number almost immediately.

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrm11
I'm on the verge of placing my order for a 335i coupe at invoice +$500. The sales associate has agreed to the deal via email and he's not even charging me MACO fees.

What I'm concerned about is that it seems too easy. I just found the dealer's website, emailed the internet sales department with the offer and he simply said "Sounds good, send me a $2k deposit (non-refundable) and I'll put in the order."

Now the non-refundable deposit bothers me a bit and I'm going to try to get him to make it refundable. But other than that, it's like a dream.

Is there anything I should be worried about? I feel like it was way too easy and I'm worried I'm going to get scammed on something.

Any help on how I should proceed and what additional clarification questions I should ask would be much appreciated.
E-mail him back with specific questions he must answer in an e-mail back to you; questions like...

1. Add up all your options (invoice cost/MSRP) and ask him to verify that it's for this car with all these options at $X (invoice) + $500 as he agreed upon.
2. What is the complete breakdown on the total out-of-pocket (all costs -- 1st pmt., tax, tag, any $$ down, etc.)? If you're leasing, get him to tell you the MF on your deal (and you should know what the current MF is for the 335i...anything higher and he's marking it up).
3. Tell him that if all looks good with you, you'll gladly give him a $500 "refundable" deposit to have him order you the car today (as this is std. for all BMW dealers to order a car)! Anything more than that and anything non-refundable is very fishy and I'd be leary of that!

All of this needs to be provided to you in writing in another e-mail from him; otherwise, I'd be leary of the offer. Good luck.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 08:01 PM   #5
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Just wondering why it would matter if the deposit is non-refundable if you have decided to buy the car. When I ordered my car, I had to put down a $4000 non-refundable deposit.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 08:05 PM   #6
Joe Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2015 X5 x35i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tctic
Just wondering why it would matter if the deposit is non-refundable if you have decided to buy the car. When I ordered my car, I had to put down a $4000 non-refundable deposit.
Everything's different in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 08:05 PM   #7
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctic
Becuase 1. it takes 6-8 weeks for the car to arrive and your situation could change, 2. there may be something in the final deal paperwork you don't approve of and if it's a refundable deposit, you can simply walk away without losing a dime, and 3. simply, you're protecting yourself for anything else that might change...caviet emptor, my friend!

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 08:21 PM   #8
wyrm11
///Man of Steel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the input. Please keep them coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro
if it's non-refundable don't do it. If he says it's refundable but will not take credit charge for it don't do it.

$500 over invoice by itself is great but not unbelievable. The fact there are no other fees is what looks odd.
He's asking for $2k non-refundable and check only. What advantages does that give him? You're saying I should demand that it's refundable and that I can charge it? Could you elaborate on how that protects me?

It's not that there are no fees. We agreed on $500 over invoice plus taxes, license, and destination. What other fees should there be? I'm just excited that he's not trying to charge me MACO.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 08:22 PM   #9
wyrm11
///Man of Steel
United_States
Rep

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to imply that I got this ridiculous deal that nobody can get or anything like that.

I'm just asking if it's too good to be true b/c it was so easy to get him to agree to what I think it's a pretty darn good deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 08:28 PM   #10
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:

He's asking for $2k non-refundable and check only. What advantages does that give him? You're saying I should demand that it's refundable and that I can charge it? Could you elaborate on how that protects me?

It's not that there are no fees. We agreed on $500 over invoice plus taxes, license, and destination. What other fees should there be? I'm just excited that he's not trying to charge me MACO.
Refundable Deposits are usually done via credit card..it's easy for them and it protects you...DO NOT give them a Non-Refundable Check!!! He wants a check b/c you can only do a "stop payment" on a check within so many days, whereas a charge on a credit card can be disputed with Visa, MC, or AMEX. Don't do it.

Something doesn't sound right to me about this offer...re-read my post ^^^^ and e-mail the CA with your questions as I mentioned. Then, you might get the "real" deal.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 08:35 PM   #11
wyrm11
///Man of Steel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator
Refundable Deposits are usually done via credit card..it's easy for them and it protects you...DO NOT give them a Non-Refundable Check!!! He wants a check b/c you can only do a "stop payment" on a check within so many days, whereas a charge on a credit card can be disputed with Visa, MC, or AMEX. Don't do it.

Something doesn't sound right to me about this offer...re-read my post ^^^^ and e-mail the CA with your questions as I mentioned. Then, you might get the "real" deal.
Thanks for the advice. I actually already did the first two things you recommended. After my initial inquiry, he said "sounds good" and I sent him a reply asking him to confirm the deal with all the details. I included all the features, and the prices, including destination and training. He confirmed the price and said it just didn't include "taxes and state reg. fees."

Sounds like I'll definitely insist on a deposit with credit card. Is the $2k deposit really that absurd? I really don't care as long as it's refundable.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 08:41 PM   #12
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I actually already did the first two things you recommended. After my initial inquiry, he said "sounds good" and I sent him a reply asking him to confirm the deal with all the details. I included all the features, and the prices, including destination and training. He confirmed the price and said it just didn't include "taxes and state reg. fees."

Sounds like I'll definitely insist on a deposit with credit card. Is the $2k deposit really that absurd? I really don't care as long as it's refundable.
A lot of times, they don't even charge your credit card; they just take your cc number and then when you sign all the papers, you pay the entire out-of-pocket with a check, credit card, or whatever. I gave my CA a $500 refundable deposit to order my car (after I fully negotiated my deal); they didn't even charge my credit card and when I signed all the papers, they allowed me to charge the entire out-of-pocket costs so I could get the points on my credit card (although I had a check in my wallet just in case they wouldn't allow me to do this). I suppose as long a you get in writing that it's a "refundable deposit", then I guess it doesn't matter how much, although there should be no reason for the deposit to be more than $500-$1000 just to order your car.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 09:29 PM   #13
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Check your state laws - in many (most?) states, non-refundable deposits are ILLEGAL. You don't take delivery of a new car, stealership can't keep your deposit.

Even if legal, it's a tactic to beware of, because now the stealership has you by the short-hairs. They can pull all sorts of shenanigans knowing that you aren't likely to want to forfeit your deposit.
      11-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #14
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Quote:

Just like sflgator said, when a credit card is used it becomes much easirt to dispute charges. Essentually if you are right you will get your money back period.
      11-22-2006, 03:15 AM   #15
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator
Becuase 1. it takes 6-8 weeks for the car to arrive and your situation could change, 2. there may be something in the final deal paperwork you don't approve of and if it's a refundable deposit, you can simply walk away without losing a dime, and 3. simply, you're protecting yourself for anything else that might change...caviet emptor, my friend!
Good advice. Some states, like CT, dealerships have a $300 fee pre-printed on the invoice, where it even states that $0 of this fee goes to the state of CT.

There's no reason for a non-refundable deposit. A person orders a car at $500 over invoice, roughly $3300 below list. They back-out. That means when the car arrives, the dealership has a vehicle that bypasses the normal 2 mo. wait. No brainer that someone is willing to pay list to get the car immediately. End result is the dealership makes a profit $3300 more than the $500 over invoice deal. Why in the world would they need a non-refundable deposit?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2006, 07:55 AM   #16
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

A $500 REFUNDABLE deposit should be enough........that's a tremendous deal on a car that is in short supply..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2006, 12:11 PM   #17
wyrm11
///Man of Steel
United_States
Rep

Great, thanks for all the advice and input. I emailed the guy back asking if we can work on the deposit and why there was a need for a check. He hasn't gotten back to me yet which would be a little fishy if not for the holiday coming up.

I'll let you all know.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2006, 01:15 PM   #18
gracie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Wow $500 over invoice for a 335i coupe. Outstanding deal! I feel raped ($1200 under MSRP for a 335i sedan) based on the deal you got. Any others out there feel that they got violated??
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2006, 04:17 PM   #19
wyrm11
///Man of Steel
United_States
Rep

Additional question for you guys. Is there any drawback to giving other dealers the name of the dealer I have my offer from? A few have asked to see proof of my offer and I'm not sure if it's a good thing to furnish that information.

Gracie, I wouldn't feel bad. I don't even have this deal done. Who knows what I'll end up with. Even so, it seems to make a huge difference depending on when you buy your car. I've had some dealers tell me they could have done this deal last month but can't anymore. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2006, 04:22 PM   #20
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

There is a shortage going on right now with the coupes,so there are fewer of them out there,that should change by February.You can send PM's to the people that want to know which dealer.btw, your dealer might even backout of the deal since the market has changed,They shouldn't, but they could.........
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2006, 04:57 PM   #21
wyrm11
///Man of Steel
United_States
Rep

I'm actually talking about other dealers who ask me which dealer has given me my offer. Some have offered to try to beat the deal if I can prove that I have the deal.

Is there any drawback to showing a dealer which other dealer I got the offer from?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2006, 05:30 PM   #22
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie
Wow $500 over invoice for a 335i coupe. Outstanding deal! I feel raped ($1200 under MSRP for a 335i sedan) based on the deal you got. Any others out there feel that they got violated??
I got $1700 off on a coupe, and I felt in early Oct. that it was a decent price, and still do. Here it is Nov. 22, and the car doesn't arrive at Jersey City until Sunday. Then, I'm hearing cars are tied up at the VPC a week, longer, who knows. My point is that I feel I have a legitimate deal, there wont be any surprises on whether I'm really getting the car at that price or not.

If someone told me I was getting $3300 off list, given what I know about supply, given what Irv stated above, I'd be a little suspicious. If it turned out to be the dealership was holding the order until their next allocation, and I've heard this before, betting that by the time that allocation got delivered the avg. price would be somewhere near $3300 off, I'd rather have my order and get the car early Dec. See what I mean?? My .02--time is worth a lot of $$$. If the two cars arrived at the same time, AND produced the same amount of days waiting, of course I'd rather have $3300 off.....
Appreciate 0