E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > How do i program a new adaptive headlight module I installed?

09-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #45
Corleone007
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M

Hi everyone,

I replaced the complete headlight assembly on my 07 BMW X5 along with the adaptive module due to condensation. I was able to buy a used one from a local junkyard but after installation the adaptive headlight warning light came on.

I read some thread and it looks like I need to reprogram the used adaptive module. I bought the ODB cable and downloaded and installed the BMW software. Can someone please help or provide instructions on how to program this thing?

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 05:08 PM   #46
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

Use INPA and find what errors you got in your FRM module.

Then close INPA , start tool32

Fire that up, file>load sgbd and pick you FRM type.

You can look through the jobs and find STATUS_LAMPEN_KURZSCHLUSS and then press the "run once" button, looks like "1x>" at the top, and this will give a list of the short circuit states.

This will probably be a lot of zeroes, and a 1 in the faulty circuit.

Click the Tabellen info tab, usually hiding in the bottom left corner, or you can select it from the "windows" option on the program header at the top.

Zip down through the list of tables until you see LAMPNRTEXTE which is a list on the lamp's hex codes. Find the one which has the problem and remember the number, or numbers if you have a few busted.

Back to the tool32 main window, and go to _RESET_KURZSCHLUSS_SPERRE aka RESET SHORTCIRUIT PROTECTION

In the argument box, type 0x3e for example, i.e whatever the bulb was which had a problem, and press the "run once" button. You should get a window pop up, and it'll have JOB STATUS OKAY! written in it.
Repeat if you have more than one bulb gone etc.

You can now go back with INPA, check the code, and delete it, and you'll see it shouldn't return. (or run the FS_LESEN job in tool32, to check, and then the FS_LOESCHEN job to clear, but it does look like tool32 wants you to tell it the fault code number to delete)

Use the list below as reference, in my case , it was dipped beam right side , as you will see it got code 0x03 for that lamp. And this value I added in tool32 under RESET_KURZSCHLUSS_SPERRE job , in the arguments field and then press run once button.

After this I went back to INPA and deleted faults in FRM module. Job done

FRM 87 LAMP NUMBER
NAME LAMPNR TEXT
0x00 high beam headlights AUSGANG_FL_LINKS on the left, E92 / E93: Abbiegelicht on the left
0x01 high beam headlights AUSGANG_FL_RECHTS on the right, E92 / E93: Abbiegelicht on the right
0x02 dimmed headlights AUSGANG_AL_LINKS on the left
0x03 dimmed headlights AUSGANG_AL_RECHTS on the right
0x04 sidelight AUSGANG_BEGRL_LINKS on the left
0x05 sidelight AUSGANG_BEGRL_RECHTS on the right
0x06 fog lamp AUSGANG_NSW_LINKS on the left
0x07 fog lamp AUSGANG_NSW_RECHTS on the right
0x08 direction indicator AUSGANG_FRA_LINKS_VORN on the left in front
0x09 direction indicator AUSGANG_FRA_RECHTS_VORN on the right in front
0x0A direction indicator AUSGANG_FRA_LINKS_HINTEN on the left behind
0x0B direction indicator AUSGANG_FRA_RECHTS_HINTEN on the right behind
0x0C UNBELEGT_1 uncovered 1
0x0D lighting AUSGANG_BEL_WBL_TASTE WBL tracer
0x0E stoplight AUSGANG_BREMSLICHT_LINKS on the left
0x0F stoplight AUSGANG_BREMSLICHT_RECHTS on the right
0x10 stoplight AUSGANG_BREMSLICHT_MITTE mitte
0x11 AUSGANG_SL_BL_LINKS_1 tail light / stoplight on the left 1, E92 / E93: Day driving light on the left
0x12 AUSGANG_SL_BL_RECHTS_1 tail light / stoplight on the right 1, E92 / E93: Day driving light on the right
0x13 AUSGANG_SL_BL_LINKS_2 tail light / stoplight to the left of 2
0x14 AUSGANG_SL_BL_RECHTS_2 tail light / stoplight to the right of 2
0x15 sign light AUSGANG_KZL
0x16 interior lighting AUSGANG_INNENBELEUCHTUNG
0x17 AUSGANG_NSL_LINKS nebulous tail light on the left
0x18 AUSGANG_NSL_RECHTS nebulous tail light on the right
0x19 back driving light AUSGANG_RFL_LINKS on the left
0x1A back driving light AUSGANG_RFL_RECHTS on the right
0x1B break Force display AUSGANG_BFD_LINKS on the left
0x1C break Force display AUSGANG_BFD_RECHTS on the right
0x1D clip AUSGANG_KL_58G 58 gs

FRM 70 LAMP NUMBERS
NAME LAMPNR TEXT
0x00 high beam headlights AUSGANG_FL_LINKS or Abbiegelicht on the left
0x01 high beam headlights AUSGANG_FL_RECHTS or Abbiegelicht on the right
0x02 dimmed headlights AUSGANG_AL_LINKS on the left
0x03 dimmed headlights AUSGANG_AL_RECHTS on the right
0x04 sidelight AUSGANG_BEGRL_LINKS on the left
0x05 sidelight AUSGANG_BEGRL_RECHTS on the right
0x06 fog lamp AUSGANG_NSW_LINKS on the left, PL3 from 07/14 and (SA5A1 or SA896): Stoplight on the left
0x07 fog lamp AUSGANG_NSW_RECHTS on the right, PL3 from 07/14 and (SA5A1 or SA896): Stoplight on the right
0x08 direction indicator AUSGANG_FRA_LINKS_VORN on the left in front
0x09 direction indicator AUSGANG_FRA_RECHTS_VORN on the right in front
0x0A direction indicator AUSGANG_FRA_LINKS_HINTEN on the left behind
0x0B direction indicator AUSGANG_FRA_RECHTS_HINTEN on the right behind
0x0C AUSGANG_R56_CS_ORANGE PL3: Colour-Switch orange, but: LED addition direction indicator on the left
0x0D AUSGANG_R56_CS_BLAU PL3: Colour-Switch blue, but: LED addition direction indicator on the right
0x0E stoplight AUSGANG_BREMSLICHT_LINKS on the left, PL3 from 07/14 and SA5A1: Day driving light LED, PL3 from 07/14 and SA896: Day driving light on the left
0x0F stoplight AUSGANG_BREMSLICHT_RECHTS on the right, PL3 from 07/14 and SA5A1: Fog lamp LED, PL3 from 07/14 and SA896: Day driving light on the right
0x10 stoplight AUSGANG_BREMSLICHT_MITTE mitte
0x11 AUSGANG_SL_BL_LINKS_1 tail light / stoplight on the left 1
0x12 AUSGANG_SL_BL_RECHTS_1 tail light / stoplight on the right 1
0x13 AUSGANG_E70_SL_BL_LINKS_2_R56_SML_LV_RH E70: Tail light to the left of 2, R56: Side mark light on the left in front, on the right behind
0x14 AUSGANG_E70_SL_BL_RECHTS_2_R56_SML_RV_LH E70: Tail light to the right of 2, R56: Side mark light on the right in front, on the left behind
0x15 sign light AUSGANG_KZL
0x16 interior lighting AUSGANG_INNENBELEUCHTUNG
0x17 AUSGANG_NSL_LINKS nebulous tail light, the US: Break Force display on the left
0x18 AUSGANG_NSL_RECHTS nebulous tail light, the US: Break Force display on the right
0x19 back driving light AUSGANG_RFL_LINKS on the left
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #47
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

For adaptive module , I think this could be the trick needed.

Open NCS
F1
F3
Select E89
OK
Select NFRM
Back
Process ECU
Select RSMC
Change Job <Codierdaten>
Execute Job
Change Job <SG Codieren>
Execute Job

And same procedure for LSMC

Im on way to try this , will update after.

My dipped beams are working both of them , but I cant get high beam function...
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 04:37 AM   #48
Teq
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnsoldaten View Post

Open NCS
F1
F3
Select E89
OK
Select NFRM
Back
Process ECU
Select RSMC
Change Job <Codierdaten>
Execute Job
Change Job <SG Codieren>
Execute Job

If you code to default sg_codieren is fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 06:28 AM   #49
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Im going to try this now , if still not working , the newer ballast modules could be the issue , I have found that some need to rewiring of power to high beams, hoping it can be done on socket to lamps themselves.

Also I got a used FRM2 here , could upgrading to that , solve anything ?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #50
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Ok , I tried this , same problem. Bought a test lamp to see where I have power when high beams are on , see if that can be rerouted to solenoid for high beam shutters.

I dont know if this could be a problem with EU cars only , if its different with US cars.

The new ballast is from EU. Car also from EU.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #51
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

I replaced my adaptive module due to a error light. It looked like the old module has shorted. They replacement is used, my error light went away but my headlights still do not turn and cornering bulbs do not work.
Who can code this for me and how much does it cost?
i have a 2010 335xi e90
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #52
xr@y
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

got ballast and adaptive light modules replaced. Having the error to fix. My friend does some coding, but he couldn't fix it. I think his coding index is old but wanted to check here. I am attaching the photo from the laptop.
Can someone share a link to files required for reset or coding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnsoldaten View Post

Open NCS
F1
F3
Select E89
OK
Select NFRM
Back
Process ECU
Select RSMC
Change Job <Codierdaten>
Execute Job
Change Job <SG Codieren>
Execute Job

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #53
N54Twin
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F85

I got a used one for $50 on ebay.... No coding need it.

Will go to the dealer to get a new one since my insurance is paying for it.
      03-12-2015, 07:11 AM   #54
enjoithis
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewill0360 View Post
I got a used one for $50 on ebay.... No coding need it.

Will go to the dealer to get a new one since my insurance is paying for it.
Lucky you, I'm on the hunt for one now myself. Hopefully it wont need coding.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 08:00 AM   #55
Suntzu
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 2005

I'm lost. I haven't sourced one because everyone here says it needs coding?? That and I don't know how to tell if it's the module or a physically broken mechanism.

I am keen to be enlightened.

Last edited by Suntzu; 03-12-2015 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #56
cooperSml
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

You need to start drilling down the problem. With a diagnostic software you can start having one idea of what module is failing. For example no communication with right step motor. Then you can do a physical inspection of the elements and in the process of removing you actually can get the correct part numbers you need.

Removing SMC II module and inspecting headlight housing. Physical inspection it takes a little bit of time but it gives piece of mind as well after you see the real hardware conditions.

Coding a new SMC II module with default settings from daten file in the NCS expert, it is the same as you have a module with talk to it anymore so it is going to replaced and then you just load default settings into it.

Additionally this video shows the damage on the SMC caused by water.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #57
viper1511
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M

Please help? New Headlight Error

Had my old headlight damaged on surface, and I got a replacement headlight on ebay.

Looks like its working fine, but do get this adaptive warning. The headlight that I got was without the lights or xenon, so that's fine I put my old stuff in there, works ok, but do get this error.

Do I need to get this program, or because I am using my old controllers should be fine? I hate to complain and return the light, and get a new light and have the same problem. But at the same time don't want to spend $300 on a used light with problems.

Please help.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 10:03 AM   #58
B3NPM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI 320d M Sport

Going through this right now as my left (passenger) SMC got fried due to water in the light.

ordered one from ebay with the exact same part number and what i believe to be Hardware number: 05 software number:2.23

i have NCS and can do the default coding of modules but have read conflicting things about coding my VIN to the new Left SMC, is this needed?

if so how is it done with tool32?
- Gloss Black Kidney Grills, Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, Front Lip
- Lowered on Eibach Pro Springs
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #59
siphor1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3NPM View Post
Going through this right now as my left (passenger) SMC got fried due to water in the light.

ordered one from ebay with the exact same part number and what i believe to be Hardware number: 05 software number:2.23

i have NCS and can do the default coding of modules but have read conflicting things about coding my VIN to the new Left SMC, is this needed?

if so how is it done with tool32?
Coding VIN is not required but you may have to use tool32 to reset any short-circuit counters and use NCS expert to code the module so it knows its installed on the driver or passenger side of the car. I went through all this when I replaced my smc module with one purchased from eBay.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #60
B3NPM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the help, does the SMC have its own short circuit counters?
I have had to reset my NFRM short circuit counter for one of my reverse lights as it had been shorting on the boot lid for quite a while.

As soon as the adaptive headlight fault came up I have cleaned out the headlight and coded out adaptive headlights from VO so the NFRM doesn't keep checking it and showing any errors, also hopefully not add a short circuit count as I believe you only get so many resets before the NFRM is fully locked out.

It wasn't showing any counts at all before I coded out the adaptive lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #61
siphor1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the help, does the SMC have its own short circuit counters?
I have had to reset my NFRM short circuit counter for one of my reverse lights as it had been shorting on the boot lid for quite a while.

As soon as the adaptive headlight fault came up I have cleaned out the headlight and coded out adaptive headlights from VO so the NFRM doesn't keep checking it and showing any errors, also hopefully not add a short circuit count as I believe you only get so many resets before the NFRM is fully locked out.

It wasn't showing any counts at all before I coded out the adaptive lights.
Yes, there is a short-circuit counter for the SMC. I've never heard of the FRM module locking itself but the FRM does cut power to the circuit that it detects something like 25 consecutive short-circuit faults. At that point, you must use tool32 to reset it. Make sure the headlight housing is completely free of any water that may make it's way into the new module before you reset the counter or else you'll fry it again.

Just double check there's no short-circuit fault stored for the SMC. If there isn't, then just use NCS expert to code the module and your adaptive headlights should work again.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 05:15 PM   #62
B3NPM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Is that short circuit counter stored in the SMC module itself or the FRM?

If it's in the SMC itself how do I locate it in tool32?

Again, thanks for your help, it's why this forum is great, people passing on knowledge, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #63
siphor1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Is that short circuit counter stored in the SMC module itself or the FRM?

If it's in the SMC itself how do I locate it in tool32?

Again, thanks for your help, it's why this forum is great, people passing on knowledge, much appreciated.
In my case, it was stored in the FRM. I have a pre-lci e90 with FRM2 module. Not sure if it's any different with FRM1 and FRM3 modules.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 06:31 AM   #64
B3NPM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by siphor1989 View Post
In my case, it was stored in the FRM. I have a pre-lci e90 with FRM2 module. Not sure if it's any different with FRM1 and FRM3 modules.
I thought it would be the case as the FRM is what supplies power to SMC modules.

I had no short circuit counters in FRM before i coded out the adaptive lights so hopefully i just need to program the new/used module so it knows its the left one.

I noticed this thread had a fair amount of confusing and conflicting posts esp for someone new to this as i am, so i plan on doing a DIY for this, from fitting new module to how to reset short circuit counters and program the SMC. Hopefully help someone else on day.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 04:49 PM   #65
Gunlex
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i

Quote:
I thought it would be the case as the FRM is what supplies power to SMC modules.

I had no short circuit counters in FRM before i coded out the adaptive lights so hopefully i just need to program the new/used module so it knows its the left one.

I noticed this thread had a fair amount of confusing and conflicting posts esp for someone new to this as i am, so i plan on doing a DIY for this, from fitting new module to how to reset short circuit counters and program the SMC. Hopefully help someone else on day.
I am in the same boat, my passenger AHL was bad(corroded) so I got another one from fleabay, and while it's moving accordingly on startup it then points a good 30-40 degrees to the right, doh!

I'm assuming I need to do the reset as you have, if you have a quick rundown let me know, or be sure to PM me if you do a DIY, that would be great!

I've done some research on my own, I've ordered the cable from amazon and will have to get a cheepo laptop to be my "coding" machine
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #66
B3NPM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm still waiting for my new module to show up but yea I will do a guide for sure when I get it sorted.

Maybe you can sort yours with the manual adjusters, the AHL xenon still have the ant the trusty BMW screwdriver in that comes with the car will do the trick.

Does it move left and right when you steer?
Appreciate 0