E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Slammed e90 xi thread

03-05-2017, 05:27 PM   #89
igzekyativ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Wagon

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I lowered the front as much as possible (airlift e91 xi kit). Here is the front completely aired out. I think the endlink/sway bar is holding the car up a bit. When I disconnect the sway bar it drops farther...

front lowered as much as possible with the end link and sway bar.

front without the end link (and about 1/2 inch of threads left)..

2007 328xi Wagon, Black Sapphire Metallic, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Rear PDC, Airlift kit with 3P mgmt, CF Akrym rep lip, LCI M-Tech front bumper, LUX Angel Eyes, Black Kidneys, LED Interior Lights, M3 Steering Wheel with Extended Billet DCT Paddles, 19" Staggered VMR 710's
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #90
igzekyativ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I went to a shop today and we tried shortening the end links (to their shortest setting), but the car was too high.

We lengthened the end links to their max (10mm of threads inside each end link head). Length was set to ~285mm and the car sits much lower, but about 20-25mm higher than without end links installed. This is satisfactory for now, but will want it to go lower.

I need a longer center bar for the end links so that I can set the length to 310mm or so. Current center bar is about 162mm long.

It was counter-intuitive to lengthen the end links when lowering the car, but this has worked.

Update:
I fully understand how this works now.

The top end link connection point on the strut is a static point, no matter the height of the car. When the air bags deflate and the car lowers, the sway bar (and bushings) lowers too; this causes the end link connection to the sway bar to pull on the sway bar and it pivots. If your end link is too short, when you air out you end link is actually holding the car up; the weight of the front of the car is suspended on the end link and sway bar. The longer the end link, the lower you can go (to a certain point).

I think an end link length of 310mm-320mm is ideal. This will allow you to go as low as the car wants to without end links attached. I have not checked clearance for this length yet though as the end links that came with the kit can only go to ~285mm (while still leaving enough threads, ~13mm, inside the end link heads so the connection is strong and effective). I have clearance with this setting. --- Keep in mind I have an e91, so your results may vary.
2007 328xi Wagon, Black Sapphire Metallic, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Rear PDC, Airlift kit with 3P mgmt, CF Akrym rep lip, LCI M-Tech front bumper, LUX Angel Eyes, Black Kidneys, LED Interior Lights, M3 Steering Wheel with Extended Billet DCT Paddles, 19" Staggered VMR 710's

Last edited by igzekyativ; 03-20-2017 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #91
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by igzekyativ View Post
I went to a shop today and we tried shortening the end links (to their shortest setting), but the car was too high.

We lengthened the end links to their max (10mm of threads inside each end link head). Length was set to ~285mm and the car sits much lower, but about 20-25mm higher than without end links installed. This is satisfactory for now, but will want it to go lower.

I need a longer center bar for the end links so that I can set the length to 310mm or so. Current center bar is about 162mm long.

It was counter-intuitive to lengthen the end links when lowering the car, but this has worked.

Update:
I fully understand how this works now.

The top end link connection point on the strut is a static point, no matter the height of the car. When the air bags deflate and the car lowers, the sway bar (and bushings) lowers too; this causes the end link connection to the sway bar to pull on the sway bar and it pivots. If your end link is too short, when you air out you end link is actually holding the car up; the weight of the front of the car is suspended on the end link and sway bar. The longer the end link, the lower you can go (to a certain point).

I think an end link length of 310mm-320mm is ideal. This will allow you to go as low as the car wants to without end links attached. I have not checked clearance for this length yet though as the end links that came with the kit can only go to ~285mm (while still leaving enough threads, ~13mm, inside the end link heads so the connection is strong and effective). I have clearance with this setting. --- Keep in mind I have an e91, so your results may vary.
Hey man, do you think for ST V1 coilovers I will run into similar issues? I'm not lowering it as far as your setup can go on air, but just asking because I just bought STs and was wondering if I should buy extended end links?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #92
igzekyativ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by n55jb4 View Post
Hey man, do you think for ST V1 coilovers I will run into similar issues? I'm not lowering it as far as your setup can go on air, but just asking because I just bought STs and was wondering if I should buy extended end links?
I think you should be fine. I only need to get extended end links because I want the front to touch the ground (almost) when i air out the system. I'd ask other guys with your setup what they did.
Appreciate 1
n55jb4130.50