E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Lower valance grill and kidney grill replacement

09-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Bimmerlover76
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Lower valance grill and kidney grill replacement

I'll post pics soon but I wanted to give my notes on this procedure.

1. Easy but very tedious.
2. The step-by-step instructions posted on http://www.billswebspace.com/e92FrontBumperRemoval.htm on how to remove bumper are essential!!!

Thanks AU335!!!

3. You need to remove the bumper to do this right.
4. Be prepared to get dirty and a little frustrated with the 2 bolts, on each side, that connect the bumper to the quarter panels. Using the wheel to hold the pulled-back wheel well is the only way to expose the bolts, albeit a giant pain in the ass.
5. Be careful with the air duct entrance for the oil cooler. You may not notice that you accidentally remove a 2 inch rubber strip that helps with airflow. Had to remove bumper again to reattach this small but 'important' piece.
6. Tighten the four hex bolts above the kidney grills in the same spot they were originally. It will, most likely, ensure a more flush look between the hood and bumper.
7. Drink beer and water.
8. Repeat #7 until whenever.

Addendum: you don't need to disconnect the fog lights if you have a 1-2" platform (a thick blanket or similar) to rest the bumper on. The wires are long enough, without strain, to allow you to drop the bumper on said platform.

Overall this took an hour or so. The hardest parts were the aforementioned 2 bolts on either side. Also, ramps are not needed.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bimmerlover76; 09-05-2012 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: Added 3 pictures
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 02:51 AM   #2
Diode
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

Nice.

I want to do this, but change the bottom grill into a hexagonal one.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 03:49 AM   #3
2ndname
Autobot
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Auto~NO~Go

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Removed my bumper last week, the 2 bolts on each side of the wheel well are such a PITAs, haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
Bimmerlover76
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndname
Removed my bumper last week, the 2 bolts on each side of the wheel well are such a PITAs, haha.
You're not kidding. I was so tired of trying to keep the wheel-well liner behind the wheel, I had to take a break and have a beer.

So glad I did it though. The grills look bigger (even though they're not) and it just has a sportier look about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
ZixxSpeed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

i broke my lower valance grill and need to rpelace it, ive seen some on ebay, any ideas where to purchase at a reasonable price?
      03-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
NH335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
25 $ dollars from bavarian auto sports. Both sides and center are same price.
I did mine this weekend without taking my bumper off so I could paint them black.

I took my wheel well plastics out and the bottom protective plastic off.
Also popped off the airflow tubes that come in through those bottom vents.
Super easy to do. Just 6 clips.

I was under the car and was able to pull the bottom of the bumber out enough to slide the center one in.
The sides I slid in on an angle through the front and then went underneath and worked them where they needed to be.

Like they said above, prob, Much easier to put them in taking off the bumper. But wasnt really trying to do that.
Appreciate 0