E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > I've been told I need to buy bump stops. Why?

08-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
I've been told I need to buy bump stops. Why?

So, I've been told I need to buy new bump stops for my KW V3 coils, because it helps prevent some rubbing. What kind do I need to buy? My bump stops are currently the ones they KW provided cut in half.

What examples are the best kind? I need to order some tonight.

Thanks
      08-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Bumpstops don't have anything to do with your tires rubbing. You need new bumpstops cuz your existing ones are cut in half. Poor dampers...
      08-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Route16 has a thread on something like this...basically he uses a product that adds height to the existing bumpstop. He uses them on a lowered car to stop rubbing and they can be used to tune suspension travel. His version is also called "packers" in some circles.

I'm not much of a stance guy so I can't tell you much about the tradeoffs with them. Maybe find the thread and ping him.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
Route16 has a thread on something like this...basically he uses a product that adds height to the existing bumpstop. He uses them on a lowered car to stop rubbing and they can be used to tune suspension travel. His version is also called "packers" in some circles.

I'm not much of a stance guy so I can't tell you much about the tradeoffs with them. Maybe find the thread and ping him.
I was told to buy e36 M3 bump stops. Would this help?
      08-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #5
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
I was told to buy e36 M3 bump stops. Would this help?
I think that's a different direction than what I suggested. Some do this to improve suspension travel, since those bumpstops are shorter than stock.

Why not just bite the bullet and try raising your ride height?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think that's a different direction than what I suggested. Some do this to improve suspension travel, since those bumpstops are shorter than stock.

Why not just bite the bullet and try raising your ride height?
Gotta stance for this one show and take home a trophy. But, while I'm there for the weekend, I'm hosting for a few friends. And, we'll be driving around, so I need to be able to not rub for a weekend.

On a different note, I was told there are no such things as rear camber plates.....???
      08-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Gotta stance for this one show and take home a trophy. But, while I'm there for the weekend, I'm hosting for a few friends. And, we'll be driving around, so I need to be able to not rub for a weekend.

On a different note, I was told there are no such things as rear camber plates.....???
correct. No such thing as rear camber plates, which is why your other thread is confusing. The post on your other thread showing the underside of the car is the straight story on rear camber.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
correct. No such thing as rear camber plates, which is why your other thread is confusing. The post on your other thread showing the underside of the car is the straight story on rear camber.
That makes more sense.

Thanks. So I just need control arms.
      08-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #9
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Another friend said FK bump stops for sure
      08-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #10
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Isn't FK bumpstops what people use? Normally, bump stops just keep you from bottoming out, or cushioning it when you do. But if you use stiffer ones, thicker ones, or stack them like some guys do, it will basically reduce your travel enough you may reduce rubbing. That's how it prevents rub, by preventing you from compressing the suspension enough to make contact.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #11
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

KW provided you with tuned bumpstops for your coilovers and you cut them in half? Poor poor dampers.

You need to replace your bumpstops with replacements from KW, then ADJUST your coilovers to raise your car to stop your rubbing, it isn't rocket science.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #12
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
KW provided you with tuned bumpstops for your coilovers and you cut them in half? Poor poor dampers.

You need to replace your bumpstops with replacements from KW, then ADJUST your coilovers to raise your car to stop your rubbing, it isn't rocket science.
No, they were given to me in halves.
People sell used items on the internet. That is also not rocket science.
      08-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #13
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
Isn't FK bumpstops what people use? Normally, bump stops just keep you from bottoming out, or cushioning it when you do. But if you use stiffer ones, thicker ones, or stack them like some guys do, it will basically reduce your travel enough you may reduce rubbing. That's how it prevents rub, by preventing you from compressing the suspension enough to make contact.
Yes, and that makes sense. I can also stiffen up the suspension is what I have been thinking to also reduce it. I will end up doing both.
Thanks
      08-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #14
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post

Whoa man, go easy on him. He probably doesn't have basic knowledge of the system because he doesn't post a whole lot on here...oh wait, nvm.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

How do you plan on stiffening up the suspension? KW uses progressive springs on our application (unless I'm mistaken) which makes upping the spring rate more difficult. Most aftermarket springs for coilovers are linear. I don't know if KW makes higher rate springs. You may be able to up the preload so the rate goes progressive more quickly which would "stiffen" the springs. But your ride will go to crap since you're taking away the softer portion of the travel.

On my other car, I run BC coilovers w/ linear springs. I was rubbing all the time due to ride height and aggressive offsets so I went to BC's highest rate springs. It minimized the rubbing, but the ride is noticeably rougher.

If you by stiffen up, you mean turn up the compression damping, that won't do much. It will just reduce small bump compliance, but if your car has people in it, you'll still blow through the travel. It may help a tiny bit, but the trade off is a really bad ride.

Quote:
Yes, and that makes sense. I can also stiffen up the suspension is what I have been thinking to also reduce it. I will end up doing both.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #16
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
How do you plan on stiffening up the suspension? KW uses progressive springs on our application (unless I'm mistaken) which makes upping the spring rate more difficult. Most aftermarket springs for coilovers are linear. I don't know if KW makes higher rate springs. You may be able to up the preload so the rate goes progressive more quickly which would "stiffen" the springs. But your ride will go to crap since you're taking away the softer portion of the travel.

On my other car, I run BC coilovers w/ linear springs. I was rubbing all the time due to ride height and aggressive offsets so I went to BC's highest rate springs. It minimized the rubbing, but the ride is noticeably rougher.

If you by stiffen up, you mean turn up the compression damping, that won't do much. It will just reduce small bump compliance, but if your car has people in it, you'll still blow through the travel. It may help a tiny bit, but the trade off is a really bad ride.
I was talking about my dampening controls more specifically. Not literally stiffening them up lol
      08-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #17
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Unsurprisingly, a stupid suspension setup has issues.
      08-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #18
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Turning up the compression damping will work, but not that much. It makes the ride much worse relative to how little it will help with the bottoming out and rubbing. Bump stops are still your best bet. And since you're only doing this temporarily, it's the easiest solution. The hardcore stance guys are running sky high spring rates but that's more than you need probably. Or you could just tell your friends to deal with it. It sounds horrible, but it's not doing any damage. And if they're car guys, they'll understand that if you're not rubbing, then your car isn't really stanced.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #19
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Unsurprisingly, a stupid suspension setup has issues.
Not necessarily. I'm running KW V3 coilovers with wider wheel and tires. Not as aggressive as other have had in the past. I am simply just needing to dial my camber and toe arms.