E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Windshield Washer Not working

11-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #23
subframe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 325i TitSil 6mt ZSP, ZPP,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
When you pull the Wiper Stalk, it SHOULD activate the Windshield Washer Pump for a second or two. That stalk pull ALSO turns on the Rain Sensor (RLS) activation of the wipers (as if you had pushed button on end of stalk). If pump (or anything else) puts water on the RLS during the activation period, the wipers will Wipe. If NO water on windshield, wipers don't move.

There's NOTHING wrong with your wipers. The ONLY issue is your Windshield Washer Pump, or it's Connector/wiring.

George
George. Thank you very much for this helpful clarification. BTW, does the headlight sprayer (which I understand is fed by a separate pump mounted on the bottom of the washer tank) not activate if the RLS does not sense water? Of course, it just occurs to me that the headlight washer only operates when the headlights are on and I do not recall whether I have tried the washer with the headlights on since it stopped working for the windshield.

Jim
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 02:04 AM   #24
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Garage List
Something odd to note is that when my pump failed, it seems the JBE disabled the circuit, and along with that, the wipers didn't wipe on wash mode, and the headlight sprayers did nothing. (of course meaning pulling the stalk back did absolutely nothing).

I replaced the pump with the engine running, and immediately after replacement, the stalk still did nothing. After switching the ignition off and back on, it worked like new. I guess the JBE disabled it to protect the circuit? (hoping someone who knows of this functionality will chime in) Not sure, but something to consider- just because there's no voltage going to the pump doesn't mean the pump isn't the problem. I'm not sure when or how it tests the pump circuit, but it seemingly does.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 02:06 AM   #25
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by subframe View Post
George. Thank you very much for this helpful clarification. BTW, does the headlight sprayer (which I understand is fed by a separate pump mounted on the bottom of the washer tank) not activate if the RLS does not sense water? Of course, it just occurs to me that the headlight washer only operates when the headlights are on and I do not recall whether I have tried the washer with the headlights on since it stopped working for the windshield.

Jim

My headlight sprayers stopped working whenever the windshield washer pump failed. Almost like the stalk was disabled entirely. Replaced the pump and everything started working.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 12:52 PM   #26
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by subframe View Post
... does the headlight sprayer (which I understand is fed by a separate pump mounted on the bottom of the washer tank) not activate if the RLS does not sense water? Of course, it just occurs to me that the headlight washer only operates when the headlights are on and I do not recall whether I have tried the washer with the headlights on since it stopped working for the windshield...
Hi Jim,

All I know about the Wipe-Wash System is based upon Wiring Diagram, Installation Locations and Functional Description of the System, all NOW found in ISTA, as NewTIS.info is closed. Attached to Next Post is the Functional Description (FUB) ScreenPrint from ISTA+, and TWO ScreenPrints of the Wipe-Wash wiring diagram (SSP).

My SWAG about RLS controlling Wiper operation when Windshield Washer is activated can be confirmed by having someone spray water on RLS area of windshield when Washer is activated/ attempted. Others have confirmed that wiper action DID occur when pump motor replaced, without more.

On your 2006 model, apparently the K6 Relay controls the Headlight Washer Pump. The K6 Relay is small relay on the Right side of JB Fuse Panel, 2nd from Bottom. I have NOT found any good description of WHEN that relay is activated by the JBE Module, either in TIS, ISTA or Bentley. I'll try to remember to check BMW Training Manuals for that sometime. I haven't even bothered to test mine. Since Headlight Wash System was Optional, and perhaps a bit "Iffy" in reliability, BMW didn't choose to "share" their engineering concept.

Others have stated, without attribution of source, that the Headlight Washers only work every 2nd time windshield wash stalk is pulled, or that only operate if headlights are on. So if you get yours working, please test & let us know the secret formula.

George
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 12:54 PM   #27
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Wipe-Wash System, 2006 325i

As discussed in prior post, attached are ScreenPrints of the following:

1) Wipe-Wash System wiring diagram for Pumps, with Relay Locations;
2) Functional Description of the System;
3) Bentley 611-22 System Info, with Pump Locations & Service methods.

George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 01:18 PM   #28
E90Menace
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by djVAO View Post
Hey all, new to the forums. I drive a 2006 330xi, and it is my first time owning the ultimate driving machine. I absolutely fell in love with the car when I bought it last year. I am now a BMW addict, and after my daughter gets into college next year, I have my eye on an M4.

My question is that this summer, the windshield washer stopped working. I have read numerous threads on this topic, but none have talked about what I am experiencing now, at least from what I have seen. The stalk totally works when using the automatic wipers, and every aspect of the wipers honestly, just not the windshield washer. When I pull the stalk forward, nothing happens, the wipers dont engage, and I do not hear the pump trying to spray either. I have checked the fuses and all are fine.

I was going to order the pump, but did not want to waist my time if this isnt a pump issue. So my question is a couple parts:

1.) Has anyone experienced this issue before
2.) And if there is a thread about Windshield Washer that is the same as above, and I missed it, I would love a link (all the other threads I have read so far talk about clogged lines, broken pump and the likes, but all list that the wipers still will engage, which mine do not)

Thanks in advance
I just did it as a rookie made a big mess! I don’t know how to take my tire off so I un did the fender, when I yanked out the pump the plug came with it and coolant washer fluid went everywhere! I learned but I also swapped them quick now my pump works good again! Do the fender style if you need to, just made sure plug stays in when you pull pump out
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 05:30 PM   #29
mehrlovin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
When you pull the Wiper Stalk, it SHOULD activate the Windshield Washer Pump for a second or two. That stalk pull ALSO turns on the Rain Sensor (RLS) activation of the wipers (as if you had pushed button on end of stalk). If pump (or anything else) puts water on the RLS during the activation period, the wipers will Wipe. If NO water on windshield, wipers don't move.

There's NOTHING wrong with your wipers. The ONLY issue is your Windshield Washer Pump, or it's Connector/wiring.

George
Lucky customer number 1 million and 1 just now lost the Washer fluid spray functionality. My wipers do work but there is no sound or effort by the pump. I checked the 30a fuses (all 6) near the proper position (48) but everything looks fine.

I believed this happened to me after I replaced the battery and I am wondering if it's electrical.

Does anyone know if there is something else electrical to look at? Any old threads appreciated too, all Search turns up is water pump threads.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 08:41 AM   #30
BMW-LouisvilleKY
Rep
Drives: BMW 325xi

I just replaced my washer pump at my trusted mechanic. Was a $40 part and a $160 fix overall - required getting behind the wheel well...only reason it took a little longer. Well worth it to be up and running and clear out the annoying warning light!
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2023, 11:53 AM   #31
Knuppel
Private
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrlovin View Post
Lucky customer number 1 million and 1 just now lost the Washer fluid spray functionality. My wipers do work but there is no sound or effort by the pump. I checked the 30a fuses (all 6) near the proper position (48) but everything looks fine.

I believed this happened to me after I replaced the battery and I am wondering if it's electrical.

Does anyone know if there is something else electrical to look at? Any old threads appreciated too, all Search turns up is water pump threads.
Found this interesting post.
I have the same issue on my BMW 320i Touring and happened to have replaced my battery recently.

None of the washers work. Front, rear and headlights. I can’t imagine them going out all at once. Fuses are ok. I hear a single faint noise coming from the right wheel fender when i press/pull the stalk. Nothing like a whirring pump. Sounds like something is trying do something but is stopped.

I’ve ordered front and rear pumps and the small filters, to replace whilst i’m in there. But i think something broke or is clogged up. Did you ever find out if it was battery related?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 12:56 PM   #32
kaysonb
Rep
Drives: bmw 2008 328xi

I had a queston about my bmw its a 2008 328 xi i bought a window washer fluid pump thinking that was the reason why it wouldnt work, but yesterday i was doing my window alternator and hit my window washers, i heard the pump run then notice a leak coming from the drivers side front, i tried to look up if the hoses go that far out and couldnt find anything, not sure if you would know but thought it was good to ask, thanks.
Appreciate 0