E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > BMW Xenon Coding (Condensed)

12-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #23
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
Ummm...The expermode way of reverting to stock was raised by members who are professionals at doing BMW codings.

But your right, people can pick and choose what they would like to do.

Just because it "looks" like it worked doesn't mean that everything is 100% fine. But whatever. Glad the Xenon DIY worked well for your car.
+1
Plus you wouldn't want to disable bulb-checks that needn't be.
If a problem does arise you wouldn't know it. That's how fried connectors and shorted circuits happen.

Dimsum and Desi definitely know whats up
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #24
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant@DetailAddict View Post
+1
Plus you wouldn't want to disable bulb-checks that needn't be.
If a problem does arise you wouldn't know it. That's how fried connectors and shorted circuits happen.

This is true, but for my 2006, I had to disable all the headlight bulb checks to get everything to work 100% error-free. Luckily, I'm really anal about my car, so I check my headlights like once every couple weeks to make sure no lights are burned out.

To everyone, definitely by all means only code for xenon if that's what works for your car, but if you still get errors, disable the headlight bulb checks too. I just put all that in there, so everyone would know what to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #25
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

^Good advice.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #26
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Want to thank Trevendous for this outstanding collection of information. I've ordered my serial -> obd2 cable from hong kong last night and plan on ordering the serial -> usb adapter next week, since its in the US i figure they'll arrive at about the same time
      01-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #27
Pyccak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

does anyone do coding around Sacramento area?? I just need one thing coded don't want to buy a cable and all that just for one thing..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #28
mnk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Hi All

Question for Trevendous, I have read this thread and want to thank you for your information, however before I remove my bumper I want to confirm if this coding will work on my BMW 2006 330i Saloon with factory Halogen to which I will be fitting BMW original Xenon with Original ballast/controllers. I hope to do a simple plug and plug and code to xenon (plus any other coding needed).

Also confirm if the below cable will work.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...t_11121wt_1177
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #29
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnk View Post
Hi All

Question for Trevendous, I have read this thread and want to thank you for your information, however before I remove my bumper I want to confirm if this coding will work on my BMW 2006 330i Saloon with factory Halogen to which I will be fitting BMW original Xenon with Original ballast/controllers. I hope to do a simple plug and plug and code to xenon (plus any other coding needed).

Also confirm if the below cable will work.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...t_11121wt_1177
I hope you don't mind if I try to answer your question. As far as the car is concerned there is no difference between aftermarket or OEM ballasts/headlights. Coding for Xenon will work for your car as outlined in his procedure. Please note that being a 2006, you might find the process a bit problematic, 2006/2007 tend to be a bit finicky.

That cable is not the recommended cable, so no guarantees it would work, but you could try.
      01-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #30
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

It will not be a problem if you use the oem xenon lights and do the coding for the car.

Note that you need to do some modification to the wiring in teh headlight. There is a DIY on this when using the search feature (xenon conversion)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #31
E90PAT
SOFLO CODING
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: Z4M

I know with LCI lamps when you flash its just the xenons but with pre lci its just the high beams. How do i set it up so i can flash in my pre lci using only xenon? i know its PwN_FL_BEI_BIXENON but do you know what value is it so that it flashes only xenons?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #32
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant@DetailAddict View Post
I do know what's up, that's why I be coding Fxx chassis already.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #33
mnk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Quote:
It will not be a problem if you use the oem xenon lights and do the coding for the car.

Note that you need to do some modification to the wiring in teh headlight. There is a DIY on this when using the search feature (xenon conversion)
thanks DESI4life10, please let me know if I have found the correct thread for the wiring part. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...non+conversion post number 3.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #34
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnk View Post
thanks DESI4life10, please let me know if I have found the correct thread for the wiring part. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...non+conversion post number 3.
Yep..you got it...Lol. Forgot I posted that. (Nicely done with the search)

Good job. PM me if you run into any problems.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #35
aaabbbyyy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90-318

Excellent thread! very useful!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #36
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneliezer View Post
I hope you don't mind if I try to answer your question. As far as the car is concerned there is no difference between aftermarket or OEM ballasts/headlights. Coding for Xenon will work for your car as outlined in his procedure. Please note that being a 2006, you might find the process a bit problematic, 2006/2007 tend to be a bit finicky.

That cable is not the recommended cable, so no guarantees it would work, but you could try.
Absolutely right... these coding techniques are the same for OEM or aftermarket conversion. The wiring will be slightly different, but the coding is the same.

That cable looks just like my cable that worked for my 2006, but that doesn't mean they'd work the same. I'd either get the recommended cable or look for one on this forum from a seller who got it to work on their 2006.

Quote:

DESI is right... coding and wiring must be done properly for the conversion to work. Wiring makes it function, and coding makes it function properly and error-free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90PAT View Post
I know with LCI lamps when you flash its just the xenons but with pre lci its just the high beams. How do i set it up so i can flash in my pre lci using only xenon? i know its PwN_FL_BEI_BIXENON but do you know what value is it so that it flashes only xenons?
When I coded for xenon with $522 to the VO, I got values wert_02 wert_03, and both of those needed to be changed to wert_01. What's wild is when I turn my high beams on, I get my inner high beam halogen bulbs and my bixenon coming on at the same time. I changed the halogen high-beam bulbs to be xenon-matching, and it looks good.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #37
vomheimlin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i SEDAN AUTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03 View Post
Absolutely right... these coding techniques are the same for OEM or aftermarket conversion. The wiring will be slightly different, but the coding is the same.

That cable looks just like my cable that worked for my 2006, but that doesn't mean they'd work the same. I'd either get the recommended cable or look for one on this forum from a seller who got it to work on their 2006.

DESI is right... coding and wiring must be done properly for the conversion to work. Wiring makes it function, and coding makes it function properly and error-free.

When I coded for xenon with $522 to the VO, I got values wert_02 wert_03, and both of those needed to be changed to wert_01. What's wild is when I turn my high beams on, I get my inner high beam halogen bulbs and my bixenon coming on at the same time. I changed the halogen high-beam bulbs to be xenon-matching, and it looks good.
I bought aftermarket DEPO 90s that have HID low beam projectors, while the high beams in other slot remain halogen. Should I still change the VO for xenons?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #38
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomheimlin View Post
I bought aftermarket DEPO 90s that have HID low beam projectors, while the high beams in other slot remain halogen. Should I still change the VO for xenons?
Yes... Otherwise, you could potentially have low beam failure, or the footwell module could burn out, which could cost a couple grand to replace.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #39
vomheimlin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes... Otherwise, you could potentially have low beam failure, or the footwell module could burn out, which could cost a couple grand to replace.
But wouldn't it seem likely these same set of problems could occur in this scenario (low beam HID projectors/halogen high beams) if someone coded for Xenons, and later used the high beams? (since halogens require more power to run than xenons)

I would think that changing the VO from halogens to xenons means that the computer is adjusting the voltage to the lights... in this case lowering it since xenons require less power, right? If so, starving the halogens of the necessary power to properly run them would cause stress somewhere in the electrical system which would potentially result in a failure. I only know this, because in my youth me and my friends would use Variacs to starve the voltage on our guitar amplifiers (like Eddie Van Halen), which sometimes popped our transformers lol.

So, I think the only safe way to do a retrofit is to either go all halogens or a bi-xenon setup. Any thoughts?

Last edited by vomheimlin; 02-03-2012 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #40
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomheimlin View Post
But wouldn't it seem likely these same set of problems could occur in this scenario (low beam HID projectors/halogen high beams) if someone coded for Xenons, and later used the high beams? (since halogens require more power to run than xenons)

I would think that changing the VO from halogens to xenons means that the computer is adjusting the voltage to the lights... in this case lowering it since xenons require less power, right? If so, starving the halogens of the necessary power to properly run them would cause stress somewhere in the electrical system which would potentially result in a failure. I only know this, because in my youth me and my friends would use Variacs to starve the voltage on our guitar amplifiers (like Eddie Van Halen), which sometimes popped our transformers lol.

So, I think the only safe way to do a retrofit is to either go all halogens or a bi-xenon setup. Any thoughts?
It's actually wattage, not voltage. I'm not entirely sure whether the car really sends less wattage after the VO is changed. I'm thinking it basically tells the car that the lower wattage ballasts are not blown 55W bulbs, so the ECU won't try to power off that section or try to throw errors. I could be wrong, but this makes sense to me, because here's what happens when I turn on my high beams... my bixenon activates and so do my inner halogen bulbs (even though I coded the VO $522). You would think in my case that my inner halogens wouldn't light up at all if less wattage was sent.

Even still, I'd do the VO $522 for xenons, and if your halogen high beams don't light, it's not that big of a deal. How often do you use your high beams? I'd think low beam failure and footwell module malfunction would be way worse.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #41
vomheimlin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I could be wrong, but this makes sense to me, because here's what happens when I turn on my high beams... my bixenon activates and so do my inner halogen bulbs (even though I coded the VO $522). You would think in my case that my inner halogens wouldn't light up at all if less wattage was sent.
Yeah that's a justifiable assessment.

Quote:
I changed the halogen high-beam bulbs to be xenon-matching, and it looks good.
Off topic, but what bulbs did you go with?

Last edited by vomheimlin; 02-05-2012 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #42
e90titan
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

So anyone figure out where Pin 7 (3 LED orange lights) go to which pin on the N/FRM?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #43
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I did the pre-lci halogen to oem xenon with huge help from DESI and DimSum last fall and it works perfect! Thanks again guys! Now, has anyone who has done this mod been able to figure out a way to get the adaptive part to work? I know the leveling thing won't work as I don't have the levelers installed, but was curious if anyone (DESI, DIMSIM, anyone) managed to code or figure out a way for the adaptive part (where your headlights turn in the direction of your steering wheel) to work.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #44
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedawg View Post
I did the pre-lci halogen to oem xenon with huge help from DESI and DimSum last fall and it works perfect! Thanks again guys! Now, has anyone who has done this mod been able to figure out a way to get the adaptive part to work? I know the leveling thing won't work as I don't have the levelers installed, but was curious if anyone (DESI, DIMSIM, anyone) managed to code or figure out a way for the adaptive part (where your headlights turn in the direction of your steering wheel) to work.
NP bud.

Looks like in order to get the adaptive part to work, you will need to do more steps other than coding.

I realized that you need to have an FRM module that has the adaptive feature. If you car originally had halogen, there is a good chance you don't have the adaptive pins on the module.

After that, you will also need to purchase the adaptive wiring harness so that the signals get transmitted.

Not sure if it is worth going through all this.
Appreciate 0