E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Modify OEM exhaust to sound like PE exhaust

09-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #1365
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan A
I installed mine today and I have to say it is very loud and raspy especially on cold start and when giving gas in low rpms (auto tranny). Doesn't sound good to me at ALL. Heavy throttle in higher rpms sounds good and at cruise it's fine with no drone. But if this is how you guys sound I don't know how you put up with it. On first start the neighbor kids came running over! I do have catless dowpipes and since I used an e92 exhaust to modify, it doesn't have rear cats or resonator, just the crosspipe. Maybe I did something different but I followed the recommendations I think (both perforated/resonated pipes in the mufflers replaced with straight pipes and I split the packing).

I'm thinking a couple of resonators in the middle would help a lot. But I don't know if I want to invest much more in this experiment.
You did both perforated pipes in each muffler ?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #1366
Dan A
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2485 View Post
On the outer sides, one side has the perforated pipe, the other has the resonator. That's what I replaced. I didn't touch the inner section perforated pipes that connect between the two mufflers.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #1367
Julian2485
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
On the outer sides, one side has the perforated pipe, the other has the resonator. That's what I replaced. I didn't touch the inner section perforated pipes that connect between the two mufflers.
Maybe you don't like the sound because it's catless put the secondary cats back on and see if you like it then. Where are you located ?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #1368
Dan A
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Minnesota. I was hoping not to cut up my original exhaust but I may just weld the modded exhaust, from the mufflers up to the cross pipe, to the stock mid section near the secondary cats to the downpipe flanges.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #1369
Julian2485
Major
Rep

Quote:
Minnesota. I was hoping not to cut up my original exhaust but I may just weld the modded exhaust, from the mufflers up to the cross pipe, to the stock mid section near the secondary cats to the downpipe flanges.
That should work
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #1370
rob1024
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan A View Post
Totally catless exhaust system without any resonators causes way to much rasp and unwanted noise on our cars as stated by numerous people that have tried it . People replacing secondary cats had great success with cleaning up the sound with the Vibrant 1790-1792 bottle style resonators( $110)on Amazon It goes with any exhaust system including the PE mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #1371
Longdoggy
Master Bates
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340 xDrive

Has anyone tried to just remove some/most/all of the packing from one or both mufflers?
Wondering how it would sound with a less invasive muffler procedure. Could probably be done with a 1 inch diameter hole and some choice pliers.

RETIRED: 2011 E90 335i xDrive — Cobb AP3, PE Exhaust, Alpina TCU Flash, VRSF Charge Pipe
2017 Estoril Blue X1 M Sport — JB4
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #1372
Boost'n E92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longdoggy View Post
Has anyone tried to just remove some/most/all of the packing from one or both mufflers?
Wondering how it would sound with a less invasive muffler procedure. Could probably be done with a 1 inch diameter hole and some choice pliers.
Someone a few pages back did this, the exhaust shop he went to said they would cut his piping out and only removed about 70% of the packing and he said it was louder, I don't think its that loud, with just removing packing. and believe me there is a lot of packing, total from both side piled on the ground looked like a shaved down Saint Bernard.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #1373
rob1024
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost'n E92 View Post
Someone a few pages back did this, the exhaust shop he went to said they would cut his piping out and only removed about 70% of the packing and he said it was louder, I don't think its that loud, with just removing packing. and believe me there is a lot of packing, total from both side piled on the ground looked like a shaved down Saint Bernard.
I did the PE mod and it was done in Lakewood NJ by one of the e90 post member ts335i07. Really great guys and the cost $ was low. Anybody in central NJ are give them a pm and you will not be disappointed. They followed the guide on post 1. Both outside pipes replaced with solid 2.5 inch pipes and packing split 50/50 between both outside chambers. Inside chambers left untouched .Sounds great just like I wanted. Quiet when easy on the throttle and just roars when you rip it in M mode .If the sound ever becomes to borring I will just make small cuts in both inner chambers and pull some packing out to make it louder as WhiteFurry did.BTW my car is 2008 E92 and there was no packing on the driver side only a big resonator. It was definitely worth the extra $100 bucks I paid as it was done during my MF lsd install and exhaust was off the car anyway.
Just getting the PE mod done by itself only would be a little more of curse but still a great price for sure.

Last edited by rob1024; 09-12-2014 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #1374
GODDSPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Anyone is SoCal have any luck finding a muffler shop that would do this mod? Specifically San Diego?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #1375
Alfa Dude
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i 2009 335i

Also in San Diego...
Anybody do just the the driver side? Would like it a bit louder than stock only when the flap is open (The car is my wife's Daily Driver). Saw this question posted before in this thread, but couldn't find an answer.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #1376
rob1024
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Dude View Post
Also in San Diego...
Anybody do just the the driver side? Would like it a bit louder than stock only when the flap is open (The car is my wife's Daily Driver). Saw this question posted before in this thread, but couldn't find an answer.
I have done the upgrade. Although it's not recommended by the inventors in the first post Doing just pass side straight pipe only will surely increase the overall volume and tone of the exhaust. I would leave out 50% of packing tho in case you later decide to do the driver side which on e92 has no packing inside. Some E90 cars might have packing on both siding tho.
It will make exhaust slightly louder at all times tho. Not only when the flap is open. The reason is because pass side is the primary flow muffler when the flap is closed. With flap open or at higher rpm the exhaust flows 50/50 through both sides
Hope that answers your question.
MHD/Wedge E60 flash/Alpina TCU /Fuel It st2/Dinan OC/RB inlets/Helix Fmic/Vrsf DP/Forge DV/BMS DCI/BMS CP/TC Kline SA/swift springs/MF lsd/OEM PE mod/front and rear M3 links/M3 strut brace/Powerflex race rear diff,camber link bushes/DEV diff brace/Megan toe arms/AKG Race subframe bushes/Hotchkis Sway Bars/18 TSW nurburring/Michelin PSS/BMW M perf 370mm Hexon RR600 on the way

Last edited by rob1024; 09-25-2014 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #1377
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1024 View Post
I have done the upgrade. Although it's not recommended by the inventors in the first post Doing just pass side straight pipe only will surely increase the overall volume and tone of the exhaust. I would leave out 50% of packing tho in case you later decide to do the driver side which on e92 has no packing inside. Some E90 cars might have packing on both siding tho.
It will make exhaust slightly louder at all times tho. Not only when the flap is open. The reason is because pass side is the primary flow muffler when the flap is closed. With flap open or at higher rpm the exhaust flows 50/50 through both sides
Have you done just the pass side yourself? Of the two, you're right. The driver side is already louder, hence why when the flap's open the sound volume increases. I'm worried if I do both, it might end up being too loud (I don't want to bother reversing it when I sell the car), so was toying with just doing pass side first, and see how it goes, but if I'm not happy, I know I'll spend more $ going in twice in the end... Hence the dilemma of pass side only or both in one shot!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #1378
Julian2485
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin
Quote:
Have you done just the pass side yourself? Of the two, you're right. The driver side is already louder, hence why when the flap's open the sound volume increases. I'm worried if I do both, it might end up being too loud (I don't want to bother reversing it when I sell the car), so was toying with just doing pass side first, and see how it goes, but if I'm not happy, I know I'll spend more $ going in twice in the end... Hence the dilemma of pass side only or both in one shot!
Just do both sides split the packing 50/50 you will love the sound of it. The shop that did mine actually welded in 2.25 inch pipes in my mufflers I love the way it sounds.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #1379
glachhman
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Quote:
Just do both sides split the packing 50/50 you will love the sound of it. The shop that did mine actually welded in 2.25 inch pipes in my mufflers I love the way it sounds.
I gotta record your car for you man!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 11:36 PM   #1380
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2485
Quote:
Quote:
Do you have a video?
      09-26-2014, 12:34 AM   #1381
Julian2485
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2485
Quote:
Quote:
Do you have a video?
No video but I'll try my best to make one
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 12:38 AM   #1382
Julian2485
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glachhman
Quote:
I gotta record your car for you man!
If your free tomorrow I'll prolly come by and you could record it
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #1383
rob1024
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
I did both sides. And to be honest it's close to stock sound level around town with flap closed. With open slightly louder when easy on the gas and gets louder as your rpm go up. At WOT it's a thing of beauty,aggressive and loud as it should. If you want to try pass side only for less aggressive sound. I don't see a reason why not.
It will for sure sound slightly different then the twin straight pipe original mod.
BTW. I am thinking to make my ehxhaust even louder by making small cuts to the inside chambers also and removing some 20-30% of packing. That's what Whitefury did and his exhaust sounds great. This would increase sound level from idle to redline.
MHD/Wedge E60 flash/Alpina TCU /Fuel It st2/Dinan OC/RB inlets/Helix Fmic/Vrsf DP/Forge DV/BMS DCI/BMS CP/TC Kline SA/swift springs/MF lsd/OEM PE mod/front and rear M3 links/M3 strut brace/Powerflex race rear diff,camber link bushes/DEV diff brace/Megan toe arms/AKG Race subframe bushes/Hotchkis Sway Bars/18 TSW nurburring/Michelin PSS/BMW M perf 370mm Hexon RR600 on the way
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #1384
rob1024
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Talking

Quote:
+1. Totally agree
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #1385
Julian2485
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
I did both sides. And to be honest it's close to stock sound level around town with flap closed. With open slightly louder when easy on the gas and gets louder as your rpm go up. At WOT it's a thing of beauty,aggressive and loud as it should. If you want to try pass side only for less aggressive sound. I don't see a reason why not.
It will for sure sound slightly different then the twin straight pipe original mod.
BTW. I am thinking to make my ehxhaust even louder by making small cuts to the inside chambers also and removing some 20-30% of packing. That's what Whitefury did and his exhaust sounds great. This would increase sound level from idle to redline.
I cut my valve off of the drivers side the original pe exhaust doesn't even come with the flap on it. I do wonder about the performance on mine though the exhaust shop did 2.25 inch pipes on mine. It still sounds really nice and car does pull hard
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #1386
iBoost335STi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Just went to a Minekie and they were practicaly freaking out when I showed them what I wanted to do...
they said the X pipe would never line up and that they wanted to just weld in straight pipes in place of the resonator. And they kept saying oh how much work it would be. Quoted me 475... anyone in s. Westchester County have a good shop they used?
Appreciate 0