E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > OIL SLUDGE and oill change warning

06-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #23
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremecruiser View Post
Just figured I would post some info about your warranty and oil changes.
My car was due for service at 16k miles, my dealer refused service due to my issues with them, so I had it serviced at a independent shop, he did not reset the computer due to what he says are issues with BMWNA saying they will viod my warrenty. A few months later my E93 blew its first HPFP, so it was taken to Myrtle Beach BMW and they also changed the oil due it it being behind on service ( explained to them that a Indy shop did it ) and replaced the computer since it shait the bed to.
shops.
You waited 16K or 24k.. to do you first oil change..20K interval on another and then they found sludge in ur engine??...shocking
seriously i was on my fourth oil change at 16K..i dont know what lawyerin up will do for u.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #24
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Lord
MB BMW knew I had the oil changed at 16K miles ( when it was due to be changed )
The oil was just changed 4k miles ago and now the engine has failed due to sludge that just now happened ?
The oil sludging is a result of not changing oil enuff from day one..it doesnt just happen overnight
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #25
BreakPoint
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
SLudge deems an engine a complete failure? Please let us know what happened, but cant you just take out the intake manifold and clean off some of the sludge?
Iv never been inside a bmw engine, but previous experience tells me that removing an intake to remove sludge...isn't gunna do the trick. If the enigine is ruined, as the OP has stated, odds are the bearings are shot.

OP, does the engine sound different ? How does it run? Does it run? When was the last time u drained the oil?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #26
BTTGMan
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe - space gray

Do many people really change more often than BMW recommends? Unless you're tracking isn't that a waste.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #27
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTTGMan View Post
Do many people really change more often than BMW recommends? Unless you're tracking isn't that a waste.
Every 5K miles or 6 months whichever comes first..its cheap insurance not a waste at all

BMW recommedation on everything for this car is ridculous
Oil 15K
Lifetime on coolant, trans, diff fluid
etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #28
BreakPoint
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Every 5K miles or 6 months whichever comes first..its cheap insurance not a waste at all

Oil 15K
etc.
I agree. Been reading more and more horror stories as the 07 and 08 cars are hitting 50k miles. I just hit 40k on my 08 E90 335, and its been 9k since my last oil change. I called my SA and he said that's perfectly normal. I plan on calling my local indy shop for a fluid flush this week, esp with the hot summer ahead of us.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #29
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:

Oil 15K
etc.
If they did that, it is because their R&D has established out of any doubt that it won't impact long term reliability. I assume 10 years / 200000km.

Mercedes, BMW, Porsche they all do this. They would never risk their reputation if it was not proven.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #30
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Yea 9K is way too long..these are DI..turbo cars which makes oil changes even more important..the only reason BMW says this is normal is b/c they dont want to pay for it..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #31
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
If they did that, it is because their R&D has established out of any doubt that it won't impact long term reliability. I assume 10 years / 200000km.

Mercedes, BMW, Porsche they all do this. They would never risk their reputation if it was not proven.
Ok..you can believe that if you like..

I will stick to my oil change schedule of 6months/5K miles
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #32
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Yea 9K is way too long..these are DI..turbo cars which makes oil changes even more important..the only reason BMW says this is normal is b/c they dont want to pay for it..
BMW doesn't pay for the maintenance, you do. It is built into the price of the car. It is not "Free". So BMW is not trying to save money. If they needed to have more oil changes then they just incrementally increase the price of the car. You are making a false argument.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #33
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Im making a false argument?? seriously,,ok stick w BMWs schedule of maintanance..let me know how it works for you
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #34
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Waterfall Vert

Quote:
Im making a false argument?? seriously,,ok stick w BMWs schedule of maintanance..let me know how it works for you
And when your engine shits the bed and you try and do a warranty claim and get told since you had someone else change your oil.. your warranty is void lets see how you act.
BMWNA can and will void your warranty if someone else besides BMW changes your oil.
Bottom line my oil was changed according to BMW's maintenance and now my engine is toast because I did not change the oil enough, even though it was changed every time BMW said it needed to be changed. My engine is gone because of BMW's maintenance, you would think they would have noticed sludge in the filter at some point if its so bad the engine is in limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #35
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
And when your engine shits the bed and you try and do a warranty claim and get told since you had someone else change your oil.. your warranty is void lets see how you act.
BMWNA can and will void your warranty if someone else besides BMW changes your oil.
Bottom line my oil was changed according to BMW's maintenance and now my engine is toast because I did not change the oil enough, even though it was changed every time BMW said it needed to be changed. My engine is gone because of BMW's maintenance, you would think they would have noticed sludge in the filter at some point if its so bad the engine is in limp mode.
Well technically you didnt follow BMW's schedule b/c its 15Kmiles..u went more than this..and I agree w u that BMW service intervals are ridcuolus, thats what i have been saying..sludge can only result from not changing oil frequently

I have never heard of voided warranties for doing additional oil changes outside BMW. When i was under warranty i had no such issues w my SA and shop..they knew full well i was doing a midyear oil change outside of BMW
and getting the free oil change at BMW at year end.

I wasnt gonna follow that once a yr oil change BS...my SA actually endorsed it and told me that will keep the engine healthier especially if u r keeping the car..its surprising how crappy some SA and dealerships r voiding warranties for something like this..

U gotta work w a good SA/dealership that is key.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #36
QLD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

Quote:
BMWNA can and will void your warranty if someone else besides BMW changes your oil..
Does your paperwork from the INDY show that they used "BMW Genuine parts and oil" (and then listed them)??

If not, I'd say this is your primary issue in trying to get BMW to pay for anything.

Yes you may have had an oil change... but without written proof on your receipt that it was oil and filters, approved by BMW - I'd say your screwed unfortunetly.

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 06:19 AM   #37
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Okay, I will.

2006 E90 145,940 miles - OCI average 17,500 miles

1997 Z3 144,000 miles - OCI average 12,000 miles

1989 E30 325i 256,000 miles - OCI average 10,000 miles

All owned since new.

And pics of my intake cam at 109,000 miles. See any sludge?

Any other questions?
Attached Images

Last edited by ENINTY; 06-12-2011 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 06:49 AM   #38
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Wow, that looks damn clean.
      06-12-2011, 06:54 AM   #39
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
Wow, that looks damn clean.
I was just in the cam drive case yesterday cleaning the VANOS solenoids, everything there looked as good as the cam pics (timing chain looked brand new), and I'm now at 145K. The oil just dripped right out of the solenoids and they had no sludge in them at all. The solenoids have small orifices in them, if my engine is sludging, it would show up in the soleniods.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 07:13 AM   #40
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

This is why I change my own oil and cut the computer duration in half. I also buy my oil and filters from my local BMW dealer. I will agree, you have to be very careful what oil you use. BMW & VW's oil specs are not met by hardley anyone. The Pennzoil and M1 that meets the spec are NEVER on the shelf; online orders only. I don't even think the VW dealer is putting the right oil in my wife's new TDI.
'07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, Macht Schnell Downpipes, 18" Staggered 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Dinan Oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Blend V1 mount, Llumar ATR Tint.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 07:41 AM   #41
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl335i View Post
This is why I change my own oil and cut the computer duration in half. I also buy my oil and filters from my local BMW dealer. I will agree, you have to be very careful what oil you use. BMW & VW's oil specs are not met by hardley anyone. The Pennzoil and M1 that meets the spec are NEVER on the shelf; online orders only. I don't even think the VW dealer is putting the right oil in my wife's new TDI.
I agree with your philosophy, just don't know what we'll see in our DI motors though once our mileage starts to climb...might not look as good on the intake side as the non DI motors.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #42
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Op, take pics the way entity did, and post. (just curious).
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #43
111R
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus

Quote:
I agree with your philosophy, just don't know what we'll see in our DI motors though once our mileage starts to climb...might not look as good on the intake side as the non DI motors.
I agree that there probably isn't enough history on the turbocharged engines to make the assumption that 15k oil changes per BMW's recommendations will work the same for them the way it has for normally aspirated cars. Any 2007 and later cars with over 100k miles are probably getting plenty of road miles, which are easier than stop and go or track miles. What about the person that drive 10k miles per year in stop and go traffic? How will his engine be after 100k or 150k miles?

Also, if the turbochargers on N54/N55 engines use engine oil for lubrication (I assume that they do), this can also shorten oil life. To each his own, but I think that the approach I'll take will be oil changes every 5k at the dealer (hopefully with a coupon to save $$) during the warranty period, then I take over after the warranty is out.

I've started taking an oil sample from my Lotus Elise and sending it off to Blackstone Laboritories:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

It costs $25 and is a good indicator of what's really going on with your engine oil. It helped me determine that I needed to upgrade from Castrol Syntec (which both Lotus Cars USA and the local dealer recommended) to Mobil 1, as it was breaking down from 40 weight to 30 weight in just over 2k miles. It has also recently pointed out what is probably a cold-start malfunction in my fuel injection system.

The point is that if there is a question about BMW's service interval with turbocharged engines, an oil analysis can determine whether or not it's safe to extend your service interval. If everything looks okay at 5k miles, then next time increase to 7,500 and so forth. This is what companies that run large earth-moving equipment or truck fleets do to avoid the cost of changing their oil too frequently, so the same applies to our cars on a smaller scale.
'17 Audi A4 Ultra, Monsoon Grey, Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #44
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

There is obviously much more to this story than we are being told.

Why did the dealer refuse to do an oil change - requiring the OP to go to an indy?

There is no requirement to go to a dealer to have required maintenance done (but why wouldn't you when under the "free" maintenance plan?)

Keeping receipts and a journal showing when maintenance was done, what was done, who did it and what parts were used (that's where you need receipts - I'd even keep labels from bottles, lids from boxes or dated photographs of supplies if the receipts don't show the required info like brand, type and viscosity of oil.)

If BMWNA won't accept what he has then there is something very fishy with the OP and his car.
Appreciate 0