E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Detailing/revive

04-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
Mccarroll01
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E92 320d M-Sport - Silver

Detailing/revive

Evening guys n girls I'm looking to do a detail or to the best I can revive the paintwork myself

The car was previously a company car n looks like the owners just put it through any old car wash n it's got plenty of swirls, surface scratches/scuff (not any depth) n just in general looks like a little dull from build up over the last couple of years!

So to the point, what's the best products I should use to get rid of swirls n the scratches and wax/polish to bring the paint back up n get rid of the grime as I'm new to this but did purchase a nisflik from argos special offers today
Thanks for any advise everyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
ChrisE91
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 320D M Sport

No offence to anyone here but I find www.detailingworld.co.uk best for this kinda thing. I've spent a lot of time over there over the last 3 years or so and learnt a lot. Lots of professional detailers use it and offer advise.

I machine polished my E91 last week as it looked pretty much the same as you described. Came up a treat
      04-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
Mccarroll01
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE91 View Post
No offence to anyone here but I find www.detailingworld.co.uk best for this kinda thing. I've spent a lot of time over there over the last 3 years or so and learnt a lot. Lots of professional detailers use it and offer advise.

I machine polished my E91 last week as it looked pretty much the same as you described. Came up a treat
Is the machine polish an easyish process? How long did it take ya?

I used a local carwash last week that I've used for years with great results and a couple of days later noticed a very faint scratch from front wing to near enough rear wing that looks like a stone has been on the sponge grrrrr so vowed to get it in good nick n keep on top of it myself from now on
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
ChrisE91
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I will always be hand washing my E91. I used to take my old car through car washes but it was a company car so I wasn't too bothered.

Foam, two bucket method with a proper wash mitt and not a sponge. Best way.

As for the polishing, took me around 4 hours to do the hole car but I need to go over a few sections again as I didn't quite get all the swirls out. It's a fairly easy process and and you can't go wrong with a DA (dual action) machine polisher. Stay away from rotaries until your more experienced.
      04-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

What polisher/pads/polish did you use on yours Chris?

Like Chris said. Get yourself over to DW and spend plenty of time reading up on the science of washing a car. My car was covered in swirls and light scratches when I got it but with a bit of loving care over the last year I've managed to improve it a fair bit.

The BMW paint is quite hard so It'll be very difficult to completely remove swirls and scratches by hand. A DA polisher is your best bet.

My general rule is that car washes and drive through places where a team of people squirt some foam at your car then rub it with a sponge that probably has a surface like 400 grit sandpaper are out of bounds for my car.
      04-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
ChrisE91
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I've got a Dodo Juice Buff Daddy DA (Basically a re-branded DAS-6). As I was only giving a quick once of due to limited time I was using a Meguires SoftBuff 2.0 pad and Meguires Ultimate Compound. I've got a selection of other polishes and pads that I'll be talking the paint with in a few weeks to finish it off.
      04-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
fadeel
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

I'd go against the grain and say do your homework and get a rotary, using a DA is tiresome especially with German paint. I really wish I had got a rotary first off.

If getting a machine polisher sounds like a chore you can always mask the swirls and keep on top of it.

If you dont have a DA/Rotary I would:

use an APC (such as G101) to soak the car and remove old waxes/traffic film
rise off
Wash car using two bucket method
Clay
re wash
use a glaze to fill the swirls (Poor boys Blackhole seems to get good reviews)
top off with a wax or Sealant
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
chesney72
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: JB4 G5 335i Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeel View Post
I'd go against the grain and say do your homework and get a rotary, using a DA is tiresome especially with German paint. I really wish I had got a rotary first off.

If getting a machine polisher sounds like a chore you can always mask the swirls and keep on top of it.

If you dont have a DA/Rotary I would:

use an APC (such as G101) to soak the car and remove old waxes/traffic film
rise off
Wash car using two bucket method
Clay
re wash
use a glaze to fill the swirls (Poor boys Blackhole seems to get good reviews)
top off with a wax or Sealant
I'd 2nd the rotary method. I have both rotary and DA and the rotary is far quicker to get results with but I avoid the plastic bumpers and trim cos it can easily blister. On these the DA is much safer.

Even with a rotary you will need to get decent pads that are up to the job. BMW paint is a right pain to do right though!

EDIT: had the 335i for over 6months now and not got round to setting about it with the rotary...badly need it after the abuse it got over the winter!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 01:31 AM   #9
Mccarroll01
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Cheers for the comments guys

I'll have a wee lok overvat DA and take plentyyyy of pics at the time
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #10
Muz
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320D MSport Saloon

Dodo Juice are doing a detailing day on sunday, if you can get to Cambridge, £35 to learn all about it :P

Including practice panels for learning to machine polish!
      04-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
scottishpete
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e92 325d m sport coupe

Your car is silver right?

Then you will get away with a DA and final polish as you won`t see the swirls anyway

This will bring back the gloss and shine on your car,then top of with a wax or sealant

Jeffs Acrylic is good on silver
Appreciate 0